• The Opera Lively Serial Novel Project

Back in my college teaching days, I had my students write serial novels. Each person would contribute a chapter, one after the other, letting the story develop freely. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But it was always an interesting challenge.

I thought we might write our own opera-related serial novel. I know most of us aren't professional authors, but we all enjoy writing (or we wouldn't be here). Anyway, this type of collaborative method isn't intended to produce a masterpiece. But with such a bright group of people, we may come up with something fun and memorable. So take a chance and join in!

A title for the novel has been proposed: "Opera Deadly"

The guidelines are simple: each chapter should develop already given characters, plots, and themes; provide exciting new interest of its own; and create opportunities for future writers. Make your own distinct contribution, but honor the conventions established in previous chapters.

The novel can become as long as we want. You can write more than one chapter, but let a few others have their turn before you jump back in. Let's keep these chapters fairly short, between 500 and 1,000 words.

For the full rules and thread where the chapters are being written (and where you'll place your contribution if you join the project), [click here].

Under this page, we'll be publishing the finished chapters. You can comment on the chapters, but to write new chapters you'll have to go to the thread above, where there is also a synopsis of the finished chapters. Enjoy!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: The Opera Lively Serial Novel Project started by Amfortas View original post

free html visitor counters
hit counter

Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera