• Opera in-Depth: Lulu - Introduction

I fell in love with Lulu a rainy April afternoon, many years ago.

In the Spanish National Film Library, there was a cycle on German Expressionism cinema, and one of the movies to be showed was G. W. Pabst's Die Büchse der Pandora (Pandora's Box), a 1929 silent drama based on Frank Wedekind's plays. From the very instant Louise Brooks appeared on the screen, I was mesmerized. Of course, this could be partly attributed to the many charms of the American actress, but there was something more, a subtle feeling that forced me attend each and every one of the showings in the next few days, even losing some College's classes in the process.

With time, I made myself familiar with other movies on the subject, with Wedekind's plays and with Berg's opera, that is the finest piece of art of them all. Lulu is arguably the best 20th century opera. Arguably the best opera ever. At least to me, as I have been building an special relationship with this piece, that is already a part of my life: of the boy I was, the middle-aged man I'm, and the elderly person that perhaps I would be, someday.

So, let's try and see together how we can meet the enigmatic figure of Lulu, and the wonderful Alban Berg's opera, with its radical modernity, its beauty, but also its staring into the abyss, into devastation.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Opera in-Depth: Lulu started by Schigolch View original post

free html visitor counters
hit counter

Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera