• OTF - Il Trittico Part Four - The Recordings

In this final installment of my series on Il Trittico, I wanted to discuss the discography of the work, both as a set and individually. I am most familiar with two “complete” Trittico sets. They are:

The EMI reference set
    (Bellezza, Serafin, Santini, Gobbi)
    Tito Gobbi is stong at both ends of the performance spectrum, as the tragic Michele in Tabarro and as the trickster Schicchi.

Victoria de Los Angeles pulls off a terrific Angelica.

The Decca reference set
    ( Gardelli/ Tebaldi/Del Monaco/Merrill/Corena)
    . Robert Merrill, the consummate “character” bass-baritone, nails Michele in the dark Tabarro. Here is, again, the finale from that opera with the Decca cast:

Corena (as you noticed in my post from last week) is a very able Schicchi. Renata Tebaldi is, bar none, my favourite Puccini soprano.

Clearly, there are many more. According to the ArkivMusic website, there are 13 releases of the “complete” Tritticos. There are certainly more…

Among the most recent releases, is the newest CD and Blu-Ray release of the Covent Garden Trittico with Pappano, Gallo, Demuro, Westbroek, Larsson. Thanks to links provided by Soave_Fanciulla, I have added these to my Trittico YouTube playlist. I must confess, however, that I am not sold on the recasting of these operas in modern times, and am particularly perplexed with the ANgelica staging in a children's hospital rather than in a convent. To each his or her own, I guess...

As one-act operas, some of the Trittico works are used as filler with other one-act operas, like the coupling of Leinsdorf’s Tabarro with Santi’s CAV (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...lbum_id=219496), Suor Angelica with L'amore dei tre re by Italo Montemezzi (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...album_id=23190 )

Wolfgang Sawallisch and the Bavarian State Opera have issued German versions of some of the Trittico operas (as well as PAG), and there is something intriguing about hearing Gianni Schicchi being sung by Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...album_id=51972)

What about some of your favourutes?
    This article was originally published in forum thread: OTF - Il Trittico Part Four - The Recordings started by itywltmt View original post
    Comments 6 Comments
      Schigolch -
      Let's start with Suor Angelica.

The opera needs a lyrical soprano with good vocal acting skills. It needs to sing a lot (well, at least a lot taking into account this is short opera), and her major effort is just at the end. Zia must be sung by a dramatic mezzo or, better still, an alto. Also good vocal acting skills are required.

A nice group of nuns must be assembled, and we need also a true 'concertatore' in the pit.

The records I like the most are:

Lorin Maazel, with Renata Scotto and Marilyn Horne
      Bruno Bartoletti, with Mirella Freni and Elena Souliotis (not for everyone's taste, I love the crepuscular overtones)
      Antonio Pappano, with Cristina Gallardo-Domàs and Bernardette Manca di Nissa

and I remember a very touching performance of Raina Kabaivanska in Madrid:

MAuer -
      I have Maazel's version of Il Trittico, with the aforementioned Scotto-Horne Suor Angelica; Il Tabarro with Scotto, Domingo, and Ingvar Wixell as Michele; and Gianni Schicchi with Gobbi as Schicchi, and Domingo and Ileana Cotrubas as Rinuccio and Lauretta.
      Yashin -
      I sadly only have 1 recording of this opera -the more modern one with Antonio Pappano conducting.

The standout performance for me is Christina Gollardo-Domas in Sour Angelica. She really hit the big time with this recording.

Even Maria Guleghina is well behaved and on good form in Il Tabarro.

In Gianni Schicci i find Jose Van Dam a trifle dry and i want some more comic wit.

Has anyone had any experience of the Bruno Bartoletti cd with Freni, Nucci and Pons? I remember it received mixed reviews but i would like to hear Freni in these Puccini roles.
      Schigolch -
      Mirella Freni never sung on stage any of the Trittico roles for soprano. And she was already very mature on this recording.

However, she was a splendid Suor Angelica, a great portrait of the suffering of this tortured woman. Very human, and very touching. You can compare this wonderfully sung "Senza mamma" of her youth:

with the hearbreaking rendition of her matureness:

The other two roles are good material for a singer approaching sixty years old, but not really in the same class as Suor Angelica.
      Yashin -
      I quite a more mature Sour Angelica. I see the entire Bartoletti recordings are on Youtube.

The new Covent Garden Sour Angelica on DVD is superb. Not seen the others in the series.
      HarpsichordConcerto -
      Quote Originally Posted by itywltmt View Post
      In this final installment of my series on Il Trittico, I wanted to discuss the discography of the work, both as a set and individually. I am most familiar with two “complete” Trittico sets. They are:
      I ordered the new Opus Arte set you pictured above. It hasn't arrived yet. Antonio Pappano conducting cannot be that bad. I have enjoyed his interpretations in many of opera DVD/Blu-rays that I have.

free html visitor counters
hit counter

Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera