• Barbara Hannigan

by Published on August 10th, 2016 01:50 AM
    Article Preview

Barbara Hannigan in our opinion is simply the best interpreter of contemporary music in activity (an opinion we share with Sir Simon Rattle) - and she certainly holds her own in the Baroque and Classical repertories as well, not to forget that she is now a well-regarded conductor too. After the spectacular and deep interview that this hugely intelligent and multi-talented artist gave us on the occasion of her creation of the role of Agnès for George Benjamin's masterpiece Written on Skin, we had the pleasure of meeting her again in person at the 2016 Festival d'Aix-en-Provence in Southern France, when she sang the female title role in Pelléas et Mélisande, in arguably the best production of this opera in modern times. We had a very relaxed and informal talk in a sidewalk café in the beautiful town of Aix, discussing several psychological nuances in this opera, and a number of other topics.
    by Published on August 7th, 2013 11:56 PM
    Article Preview

[Opera Lively interview # 106] This is a very special interview, for me. I have been in awe of what is being called "Opera's new masterpiece" and according to some sources, the best opera written in the last 20 years [French newspaper Le Monde]: George Benjamin's Written on Skin. I've heard mention that it is actually the best one in the last 60 years. Personally I'd favor the 60-year assessment more than the 20-year. It is truly exquisite!

Its world premiere in July of 2012 in Aix-en-Provence and several subsequent revivals (Covent Garden, Vienna, Amsterdam, Bavarian State Opera in Munich, others to come) featured the extraordinary Canadian soprano Barbara Hannigan, for whom the leading role of Agnès was written.

free html visitor counters
hit counter

Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera