Thread: "Once or Twice a Fortnight"

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member itywltmt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool "Once or Twice a Fortnight"

That's how often I plan on posting an original musing on OperaLively;

That's also the unofficial name I will give to this blog-of-sorts.

We all read Alma's declaration of prnciples for this new site - I hope I can live up to those lofty goals and expectations... My aim is to start some discussions, and illustrate some of my musings through openly-available musical selections (YouTube, other open-source material...). These musings will be in English (to reach as many of you as I can), though I don't exclude the odd post in French. (I already have...)

My first “original” musing

(Drum roll…)

I wanted to share a neat streaming music service, that features Public Domain music (since the site is hosted in Canada, PD rules imply the works have outlived their main performer by at least 50 years).

The address: http://www.mqcd-musique-classique.com/

The service: Like OperaLively, MQCD-Musique-Classique is a web-based community of interest, serving classical music lovers from the Francophonie (read: French-speaking countries). Its lingua franca is French, though many members (like myself) are English-Speaking. The site issues a monthly “playlist” – typically two to three hours of continuous music – around the first of the month. An embedded MP3 player (found on the lower left-hand side of the page) streams the music through your Web browser.

December's playlist (http://www.mqcd-musique-classique.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6258) features opera selections. Past selections get “parked” in a special musical library area, organized by composer and can be streamed from there on an individual basis (http://www.mqcd-musique-classique.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)

The beauty of all: this is a free service, requiring no membership.

(As is the case here, I with OperaLively, I do not have a personal stake in that venture, but I do endorse the site. You can also read some of my musings in French in their forum at http://www.pearltrees.com/#/N-f=1_37...6&N-u=1_350333)

Check it out, and let me/us know what you think!

2. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The service: Like OperaLively, MQCD-Musique-Classique is a web-based community of interest, serving classical music lovers from the Francophonie (read: French-speaking countries). Its lingua franca is French, though many members (like myself) are English-Speaking. The site issues a monthy “playlist” – typically two to three hours of continuous music – around the first of the month. An embedded MP3 player (found on the lower left-hand side of the page) streams the music through your Web browser.
    This is an excellent idea. We should implement it here as well. There are too many technical issues to look at (we don't even have a "like" feature yet like some members want) but this should be one of the things we should offer in the (relatively near) future.

Senior Member Involved Member itywltmt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My compilation of OTF thus far:
    One Year of Once or Twice a Fortnight

5. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva), MAuer liked this post