Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Streaming

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Thanks Annie!

When it says radically stripped back, though, do we know precisely WHAT has been stripped back? Is it like the semi-Colon ring?

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Annie!

When it says radically stripped back, though, do we know precisely WHAT has been stripped back? Is it like the semi-Colon ring?
    Seems like the runtime is 16 hours if we gauge it by the accompanying feature showing the maestro conducting the ring.

They do talk about the operas being complete. Maybe the stripped back part is not the music but rather the staging, down to the basics, conceptually speaking. Or design-wise. See this, for example: [clicky]
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 11th, 2017 at 02:32 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

3. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Annie!

Sorry. Don't know.

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Annie!

I'm pretty sure they're uncut. I've read rave reviews from Wagnerians. They mean cut back in the stagings: they're much closer to a concert version than a staged version. The orchestra is on stage, and there is mood lighting and projections. The projections carry the surtitling, and may also have additional narrative/contextualizing text (I read one thing that suggested that, but I have not seen these for myself):

Name:  opera north ring.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  56.8 KB

And I agree, thank you Ann! I'm excited to know that I'll be able to watch these!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    BBC Arts and The Space present Richard Wagner’s monumental Ring cycle, in a radically stripped-back, critically acclaimed production by Opera North. Filmed during live performances in 2016, this is total immersion in a unique, all-encompassing music drama. Watch the complete production from Sunday, 12 February 2017.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...ers-ring-cycle

Post Thanks / Like
    Washington National Opera, suffering following the financial collapse, postpones staging their planned production of Götterdämmerung several years ago and substituted 2 performances done in concert. At the time, I had never seen GD, and don't believe had ever heard it all the way through, for that matter, and was blown away by what turned out to be a stunning semi-staged performance.

Worked better than their fully staged production, which is pretty lame. SF Opera shares this Ring with WNO and will be staging it next year.

8. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Worked better than their fully staged production, which is pretty lame. SF Opera shares this Ring with WNO and will be staging it next year.
    Awwwwwww, don't tell me it's lame!... I'm already planning my vacation for San Fran in 2018. : ) I love what I've read about Zambello's "American Ring" concept (I think we've established I'm a regie-loving abnormality).

10. Likes Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Washington National Opera, suffering following the financial collapse, postpones staging their planned production of Götterdämmerung several years ago and substituted 2 performances done in concert. At the time, I had never seen GD, and don't believe had ever heard it all the way through, for that matter, and was blown away by what turned out to be a stunning semi-staged performance.

I quite like semi staged too, and in NZ it's the only way I get to see non-warhorse opera. Nixon in China last year was fantastic.
    Natalie

12. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Munich is restreaming Semiramide with Joyce DiDonato, Alex Esposito, Daniela Barcellona and Lawrence Brownlee for just over 24 hours, so drop everything and watch it. clicky
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Awwwwwww, don't tell me it's lame!... I'm already planning my vacation for San Fran in 2018. : ) I love what I've read about Zambello's "American Ring" concept (I think we've established I'm a regie-loving abnormality).
    Without getting too specific, Zambello's Ring has an environmental theme (which I think is a stretch - instead of burning Valhalla, the chorus drags filled black trash bags across the stage and dump them off a cliff. Sort of.) It might, however, resonate more successfully this spring than a year ago.

That said, her Die Walküre is brilliant - the clearest and most dramatic rendering of the opera I've seen (I've only seen 4 live, but it's hard to imagine that this can be bettered). We also had Nina Stemme's Brunnhilde and a surprisingly good Alan Held as Wotan.

There also are superb moments in Das Rheingold (like when Fafner and Fasolt descend from the flies on an I-beam, reminiscent of the iconic photo of workers eating lunch on the exposed superstructure of the Empire State building in the 1930s)

Name:  EmpireStateBldg.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  20.8 KB

15. Likes Nemorino liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a trailer out for Bayerische Staatsoper's new Tannhäuser, which they stream on July 9. Clicky to see Klaus Florian Vogt with a man-bun!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0D5hByvNlvc

Looks like my first viewing of Tannhäuser will be a lit-tle weird....

17. Likes Festat, Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    There's a trailer out for Bayerische Staatsoper's new Tannhäuser, which they stream on July 9. Clicky to see Klaus Florian Vogt with a man-bun!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0D5hByvNlvc

Looks like my first viewing of Tannhäuser will be a lit-tle weird....
    You buried the lede somewhat, click to see Christian Gerhaher with a man bun! I've watched all the clips of the director discussing his vision, but beyond the grossness of flesh and the symbology of circles, I understand nothing. I'm going to be there for the performance they're streaming, very much looking forward to finding a long-time Bayerische Staatsoper operagoer and getting them to explain it to me

19. Likes Nemorino liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    You buried the lede somewhat, click to see Christian Gerhaher with a man bun! I've watched all the clips of the director discussing his vision, but beyond the grossness of flesh and the symbology of circles, I understand nothing. I'm going to be there for the performance they're streaming, very much looking forward to finding a long-time Bayerische Staatsoper operagoer and getting them to explain it to me
    Yes I spotted that too! Seems as though we have precisely the same taste in baritones!

I guessed Castellucci as the director before seeing his name. Incomprehensible but very striking production.
    Natalie

21. Likes Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Incomprehensible but very striking
    My kind of Regie.

23. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Turandot from ROH, lived streamed to Big Screens in UK and on YouTube on 14 July 2017.
    Opera starts at 19:30 British Summer Time (18:30 GMT)

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/catch-the...n-14-july-2017

Cast and credits.

25. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast