Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Operas by Rossini on DVD/Blu-ray/CD

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rossini, L'Inganno Felice (1812), opera in one act. Marc Minkowski directing.

Budget price version, no libretto but comes with synopsis.

Full price version.

An early one act opera by Rossini. Signs of talent most apparent, containing good arias that show Mozartian influences but undeniably Rossini. I bought the budget version (not knowing there was a full price version), which came without libretto but a decent synopsis. All numbers were very enjoyable and played with stylish late Classical interpretation under Minkowski. Much recommended.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Rossini: Le Comte Ory on DVD

OK, folks, I was so frustrated with the fact that I bought a ticket to watch Le Comte Ory on Met in HD on 4/27/11, then completely forgot about it and didn't attend the show, that as soon as I realized my blunder I went online and bought the above DVD. It arrived yesterday.

I'm about to start watching it. It's an opera that I don't know - although I do know Il Viaggio a Reims which has much of the same music, given that Rossini canibalized his earlier opera to compose this one.

This product contains the 1997 Glyndebourne performance with the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Andrew Davis (a conductor I very much like), with stage direction by Jérôme Savary, and video direction by our old buddy Brian Large. The cast includes:

Ludovic Tézier - Raimbaud
    Stella Woodman - Alice
    Marc Laho - Count Ory
    Jane Shaulis - Ragonde
    Julien Robbins - Governor
    Diana Montague - Isolier
    Annick Massis - Countess Adèle
    Colin Judson - A young nobleman

I liked the opera and the production. Recommended, but a little below highly recommended thanks to less than ideal male casting.
    I did not feel strongly about this DVD, but was blown away by the MET player Le Comte Ory with JDF, Damrau, and especially trouser role of DiDonato.....far superior for me as I await any future release on DVD / blu ray

Have you seen it by chance, your take

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoyed that version of Le Comte Ory reviewed by Almaviva above. Some funny moments, solid staging that was play-like in many ways, which I guess was kept rather "light" for its comical undertones. Very good singing overall. (I bought it cheap that came with Barber of Seville and La Cenerentola).

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    I did not feel strongly about this DVD, but was blown away by the MET player Le Comte Ory with JDF, Damrau, and especially trouser role of DiDonato.....far superior for me as I await any future release on DVD / blu ray

Have you seen it by chance, your take
    No, I haven't seen the Met one yet, but I'll get it as soon as it is released on DVD.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    Semiramide (1823)

June Anderson, Marilyn Horne, Stanford Olsen, Samuel Ramey, Young Ok Shin, John Cheek, Michael Forest, Jeffrey Wells. Metropolitan Orchestra & Chorus, James Conlon, stage direction by John Copley, 1990.

This DVD has been sitting in my unwatched pile for too long. I now only wished I had viewed it as soon as I bought it. What a sumptuous production! Never a dull moment thanks to the effective staging, which was traditional; back to ancient Persia, and of course, the beautiful singing. Marilyn Horne up to her best in a male role, with June Anderson spoiling our senses with duets beyond description. Rossini was on the verge of early retirement with Semiramide, and a semi-curious work; almost Baroque opera seria like but brought forward a century to early Romantic.

I just viewed this recently and was very impressed also, a great production that would be stunning in a blu ray release staging and costumes were richly detailed. The story has some real extreme plot twists that makes for an entertaining exciting story.

I was really a bit let down by Horne, she went through all the motions but there should have been much more passion and emotion in her key role as lover, lost son and avenger of fathers murder.....a bit too generic and safe for me. Ramey and the other hand was his usual bombastic dynamic larger than life figure, dominates the stage with his persona, a great performance. June Anderson was very good and rest of cast was up to the task, had a very good time watching this.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); November 30th, 2013 at 04:00 AM.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    I just viewed this recently and was very impressed also, a great production that would be stunning in a blu ray release staging and costumes were richly detailed. The story has some real extreme plot twists that makes for an entertaining exciting story.

I was really a bit let down by Horne, she went through all the motions but there should have been much more passion and emotion in her key role as lover, lost son and avenger of fathers murder.....a bit too generic and safe for me. Ramey and the other hand was his usual bombastic dynamic larger than life figure, dominates the stage with his persona, a great performance. June Anderson was very good and rest of cast was up to the task, had a very good time watching this.

Oooh do I see the Chest, better promote this up the UWP.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Torvaldo e Dorlisk (premiered 1815)

Darina Takova, Michele Pertusi, Francesco Meli, Bruno Praticò, Jeanette Fischer & Simone Alberghini. Prague Chamber Choir & Orchestra Haydn di Bolzano e Trento, Víctor Pablo Pérez. Pesaro, August 2006 (2 DVDs).

Rossini wrote Torvaldo e Dorlisk between Elisabetta regina d'Inghiterra (a serious opera), and Il barbiere di Siviglia (comic). Torvaldo was intended as a semi-serious opera! This production capitvated that semi-serious mood I think. The staging was traditional in a small theatre, and there were a limited few moments when the singers moved off the stage and sang in the rows of the audience bringing about this semi-serious "relaxation" of an otherwise serious plot. I don't know of many semi-serious operas by Rossini and it appears this opera is not terribly well known because of it. Anyway, who cares. Glad that this DVD came about. The music is fairly relaxed with typical Rossinian melody and flow that you would recognise, and the orchestra played through with ease. The best numbers were the ensemble pieces for trio, quartet and quintet. (Interestingly, it used a fortepiano as the continuo instrument, despite being a modern instrument orchestra otherwise).

Schigolch
    It was the first work together for Rossini and Cesare Sterbini, just before the Barbiere, as you said. It was not a success, and it dissapeared from the repertory since the 1830s until it was rescued during the Rossini Renaissance by Alberto Zedda with a cast including Lella Cuberli, Enzo Dara and Lucia Valentini Terrani.

I also like this DVD, and Abbado's production. The use of a fortepiano to play the continuo along with the bass, is something relatively common at the Rossini Opera Festival, in Pesaro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post

Great musical performance but, for me at least, hardly watchable even for few minutes. Those circus-like customes and amount of flashy colours just hurt me. At the other hand those rats - great idea, quite funny. Too bad it doesn't save it as a whole.

It would be really great as just CD.
    I will have to give a contrary very positive view.....although this should not be your first or only Cenerentola. (this was finally purchased to complete my JDF library)

First the combo of JDF and DiDonato is the very best on DVD, JDF is masterful here as you would expect and DiDonato for me is better than all rivals like Bartoli, Von Stade etc both technically exciting vocals and great character acting, so much fun to watch......it all works great for me if you take off your "must be serious" opera hat for a couple hours.

The production is visually daring and flamboyant, this is a fairy tale and we are allowed to have fun and let your imagination run wild. Bright colors, exaggerated playful costumes, friendly giant mice that double as stagehands to move props around all in the service of creating a fun magical production (they work cheap for a bit of cheese). Quite a contrast to the typical routine production.

The Garanca/Brownlee MET procution employs some of these fantasy elements, but here it is taken to its full fantasy potential (or absurd excess depending on your taste) I really like this daring production........

Post Thanks / Like
    L'Equivoco Stravagante (October 1811)

Marina Prudenskja, Bruno De Simone, Marco Vinco, Dmitry Korchak, Amanda Forsythe & Ricardo Mirabelli. Coro Da Camera Di Praga, Maestro Del Coro Pavel Vanek & Orchestra Haydn of Bolzano E Trento, Umberto Benedetti Michelangeli (conductor) & Emilio Sagi (direction). Recorded at the Pesaro Rossini Opera Festival, August 2008

Rossini's first two-act comic opera, written by the then nineteen year old. Delighful score, full of wit and hint of genius that would come with his later grand comic operas. The libretto was perhaps a little silly here and there but I guess that was the boldness of it, and it apparently caused a bit of a stir with the censorship authorities. The production recorded here was recognisably modern (not avant-garde) with much bright colours and supporting ladies wearing mini-skirts . The orchestra was succint and the pace was brisk under the agreeable baton of its maestro. Capable singing by the leads, and simple acting that married well with the easy sense of humour that accompanied the music. A nice one to add to the Rossini collection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    L'Equivoco Stravagante (October 1811)

Marina Prudenskja, Bruno De Simone, Marco Vinco, Dmitry Korchak, Amanda Forsythe & Ricardo Mirabelli. Coro Da Camera Di Praga, Maestro Del Coro Pavel Vanek & Orchestra Haydn of Bolzano E Trento, Umberto Benedetti Michelangeli (conductor) & Emilio Sagi (direction). Recorded at the Pesaro Rossini Opera Festival, August 2008
    I am close to buying that (very close) as it does seem to be very entertaining fun time, Alma first reported on this work here earlier.

That older man in cover photo reminds me of comedic actor Phil Silvers with the heavy black frame glasses

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it's a lovely production, great fun, in a well-packaged and technically good DVD. It's a winner; in my book it's a must-have.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Norwegian puclic television recently aired the recent Met Comte Ory, and here are my two cents or so about it.

I really, really liked this opera, although the production left me on the side somewhat annoyed.

Singing-wise, this is as close to perfect as you'll get in this day and age. All three main characters sang extraordinarily throughout, which didn't really come to me as a great surprise. The three arguably greatest Rossini singers alive today on the same stage can't really go wrong.

Juan Diego Flórez, straight from his home where his wife thirty minutes or so prior to curtain had just given birth to the couple's first(?) son, sings the crap out of what must be one of the toughest Rossini parts I've heard so far. It's super high, with C's, D flats and D's flying out everywhere. How this man makes it all sound so easy, I cannot fathom. Generally a good acting performance as well. There are also some really great facial expressions when he starts touching the more inappropriate bits of Diana Damrau. Also, J-Flo in a nun's habit is almost as adorable as J-Flo in Lederhosen.

Speaking of DD, she was truly great. I really, really enjoyed her in the part of the Countess, and her huge act 1 aria was truly the highlight of the evening. Also, boobs.
    But one does wonder whether she should be singing Rossini much longer. Her vibrato seems to get wider, and the coloratura is not as precise as it has been. But, that said, I would still very much like her to do some serious Rossini, like Semiramide or Armida (I think I've heard something about the Met remounting that production they did with Fleming for Damrau, but not until 2015 or so).

The evening's pants role, Isolier, was sung by the infallible Joyce DiDonato (who, incidentally, I also want to see doing more serious Rossini). Unsurprisingly, the singing was amazing, as was the acting.

Costumes were good. Loads and loads of girly colours, with sheer fabrics and silks flying around all over the place, at least with the girls. I still cannot figure out why they decided it was a good idea to put J-Flo in leather pants.

The orchestra was really good, and the action moved along very nicely. The recitatives were surprisingly good. I previously thought that accompanied recitative wouldn't work for comedy, but lo and behold, it did.

Now, the production it self was rather annoying. The Konzept wasn't too bad (hardly groundbreaking, but one does not count on Bartlett Sher to go new and exiting ways), but instead of the 'theatre within a theatre' enhancing the action on the stage proper, it just got in the way and garnered but a few cheap laughs along the way. Totally unnecessary.
    That said, there were some nice touches, like the birds attatched to the long metal rods people kept waving about around the countess in the 1st act.
    Rather amazingly, some of the opera's funniest moments, like Comte Ory and his pals dressing up as nuns, and acting pious whilst at the same time trying to have a right old party, were very down-played. I feel it has much to do with the fact that the set having no walls, and so the transition between prayer and partying becomes undistinct, as people just stood on the side of the stage, waiting to climb onto it. In the end, it was a rather baffling production, as it is, in my opinion, one of Rossini's funniest operas. If only Sher had spent his time paying attention to the things happening onstage, and not faffing about doing silly things instead.

Also, the 2nd act trio - the most bisexual moment in opera ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review. I have it, it's sitting on my UWP. I have the other DVD and it is excellent. Like you said this opera is phenomenal.
    In our interview with Joyce DiDonato by email, I have asked her why she hasn't done more serious Rossini. She did do La Donna del Lago.
    I can't wait for her answers.

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Nice review. I have it, it's sitting on my UWP. I have the other DVD and it is excellent. Like you said this opera is phenomenal.
    In our interview with Joyce DiDonato by email, I have asked her why she hasn't done more serious Rossini. She did do La Donna del Lago.
    I can't wait for her answers.
    Yes. I'll be most anxious for a Donna del Lago DVD. I think the La Scala one was taped. And possibly the one they're doing (or have done, not sure) at ROH.

And she sang the crap out of the Armida arias on that Rossini aria CD of hers. Best D'amor al dolce impero since Callas, or thereabouts. The same with the Semiramide excerpt.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast