Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 126

Thread: Operas by Rossini on DVD/Blu-ray/CD

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #46
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, the 2nd act trio - the most bisexual moment in opera ever.
    The elevated bed scence was great, both visually and vocally.......check below starting 8:30 mark


  2. #47
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    The elevated bed scence was great, both visually and vocally.......check below starting 8:30 mark
    I don't like how audience laughed at this part. The music was more sublime to listen than their acting was funny to laugh at.

  3. #48
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I don't like how audience laughed at this part. The music was more sublime to listen than their acting was funny to laugh at.
    Not everyday you get three horny sexy opera stars in bed together, must enjoy the moment
    (for the love of art naturally)

  4. #49
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,795
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Not everyday you get three horny sexy opera stars in bed together . . .
    Though I try. I try.

  5. #50
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Though I try. I try.
    Did you not learn your lesson foolish one being tempted by the flower maidens only then to be speared by evil Klingsor......

    Only the "perfect fool" can resist

  6. #51
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,795
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Only the "perfect fool" can resist
    I may not be perfect, but I'm pretty damn close.

  7. #52
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,308
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I may not be perfect, but I'm pretty damn close.
    Pftt... flawed mortal. *I* am perfect!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  8. #53
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,308
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    Norwegian public television recently aired the recent Met Comte Ory, and here are my two cents or so about it.


    Aksel is a very observant reviewer. I have just watched this production, and he was spot on.
    Yes, the singing was close to perfect. These three singers are just too good. It's exhilarating to see three singers having their prime moments in their careers, on the same stage, with spectacular technique, treating us to sublime music and fabulous acting. Oh my, JDF, DD, and JDD are so good! Not just good, great!!!

    And yes, the production is lackluster. This is a very funny opera, and the three formidable singing actors still managed to make it funny, but not thanks to Mr. Sher.

    This other production, while not blessed with the same level of almost perfect singing (although not bad at all) has infinitely more comic flair:

    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  9. Likes Aksel liked this post
  10. #54
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    25 Brook Street, Mayfair (London)
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    L'Occasione fa il ladro ossia Il cambio della valigia (1812)

    Susan Patterson, Robert Gambill, Natale de Carolis, Monica Bacelli, Alessandro Corbelli & Stuart Kale, Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra, Gianluigi Gelmetti; May 1992.



    An early and short opera buffa from the young genius (total running time just under 100 minutes). The English title is Opportunity Makes a Thief or The Exhange of Luggage. Despite its rather silly plot, but on the whole suitable for a buffa, early Rossini consistently showed his genius in handling the orchestral part that made an opera sound truely buffa (not just the vocal parts necessarily). Classical influence from Mozart and perhaps late Haydn, were audible with beautiful and tuneful duets and ensemble pieces. There were more arias for duets and ensemble than there were for solo arias. I couldn't fault any of the singing by the singers, with experienced Rossinian names like Robert Gambill. Staging was traditional on a relatively smaller stage. Continuo was on a fortepiano.


  11. #55
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Aksel is a very observant reviewer. I have just watched this production, and he was spot on.
    Yes, the singing was close to perfect. These three singers are just too good. It's exhilarating to see three singers having their prime moments in their careers, on the same stage, with spectacular technique, treating us to sublime music and fabulous acting. Oh my, JDF, DD, and JDD are so good! Not just good, great!!!

    And yes, the production is lackluster. This is a very funny opera, and the three formidable singing actors still managed to make it funny, but not thanks to Mr. Sher.

    This other production, while not blessed with the same level of almost perfect singing (although not bad at all) has infinitely more comic flair:

    We have a divided camp here since I much prefer the new MET version....including the production which worked very well for me. I actually sold that version above I was so pleased with MET, if only there was a blu ray version......

    Natalie will take note that her "cold fish" Tezier stars in the older one

  12. #56
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    Staging was traditional on a relatively smaller stage
    This DVD is part of three-DVDs cycle, all staged this way by same people. I didn't watch them yet but I look forward to it - one of other two is La Gazza Ladra, including Contrubas. Hot stuff.

  13. #57
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,308
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    This DVD is part of three-DVDs cycle, all staged this way by same people. I didn't watch them yet but I look forward to it - one of other two is La Gazza Ladra, including Contrubas. Hot stuff.
    It's actually four. I reviewed the other three above, posts 26, 27, and 28.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  14. #58
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,795
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    We have a divided camp here since I much prefer the new MET version....including the production which worked very well for me. I actually sold that version above I was so pleased with MET, if only there was a blu ray version......
    I guess the only way to make up my mind about the Met Comte Ory is to buy it myself.

    And hey, I hear that if I click on the link above to do it, good things happen.

  15. #59
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,308
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I guess the only way to make up my mind about the Met Comte Ory is to buy it myself.

    And hey, I hear that if I click on the link above to do it, good things happen.
    They do. I wish all our prolific buyers (cough cough Dark_Angel cough cough) did the same.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  16. #60
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,632
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I guess the only way to make up my mind about the Met Comte Ory is to buy it myself.

    And hey, I hear that if I click on the link above to do it, good things happen.
    I think this has already been mentioned but if I click on that link, it takes me to Amazon.com & I use Amazon.co.uk.

    Does the site get a small amount just by my clicking on the link even if I don't buy?
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS