Thread: New member category: Donor Member

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

New member category: Donor Member

Opera Lively is very thankful to those members who have decided to make donations to the site by using the "Donate" button that is featured on the bottom of all our pages.

Publishing and maintaining a full service web site like Opera Lively with original journalistic content and our intended level of quality is very expensive, and results in several thousand dollars of annual business losses. Opera Lively has never had a single self-sustaining month since its inception in December of 2011, and loses money month after month. Not only we pay for high-quality and fast dedicated webhosting servers, but we also purchase all sorts of additional subscriptions to other software features, memberships in professional organizations, business permits and registrations, professional monitoring against malware and viruses, and so forth. We generate revenue by modest advertising fees, and by selling books from our publishing branch Opera Lively Press. These sources of revenue, however, are far behind the expenses.

Therefore, we also rely on the generosity of our members who want to contribute financially to our mission of diffusing the operatic art form and supporting those who produce and perform it for us.

While many members contribute in other ways (with their passion, knowledge, insights, and journalistic contributions - not to forget the hardworking members of Opera Lively's team who volunteer their time to help maintain the site) and we are just as thankful to them, Opera Lively believes that those members who commit financially to supporting the site deserve some sort of special recognition (given that they often do so anonymously).

In order to publicly recognize the generous individuals who commit to contributing at least $50 yearly to Opera Lively, we have created a new category of members: Donor Members. This tag line will be visible, under their username. A general member will be re-assigned to this group for 12 months after each donation of $50 or more, renewable each time a donation recurs (thus making an yearly contribution of $50, enough to maintain this status - less than $1 per week!), or will be permanently assigned to this category after a one-time donation of $250 or more.

As a token of appreciation, we have granted to Donor Members a couple of perks. Since they help paying for our bandwidth, it is fitting that we adjust their accounts to have a bigger capacity for bandwidth usage. Therefore, Donor Members are now able to keep 500 messages in their Private Messages mailboxes, rather than the 50 afforded to general members. They are also able to use the Calendar function to post events they want to publicize. If they organize groups, those groups can be identified by an uploaded picture or logo.

This practice is in line with what other art organizations - such as opera companies - use to recognize their supporters, contributors, sponsors, etc., by granting them some special privileges.

Let's collectively welcome our Donor Members to their new status, and be grateful for their contribution to the long-term viability of Opera Lively, which benefits our entire community.

We encourage other members to join this new category. After all, isn't the enhancement in a member's quality of life delivered by Opera Lively, worthy of at least $1 per week? Contributions of any amount lower than $50, while not sufficient to earn the new status, are also highly appreciated and will be acknowledged and thanked by private message.

This said, it needs to remain clear that Opera Lively is a free website and will remain so, and those who feel that this donation is not something they would be willing to do, will continue to be appreciated for their other contributions to our cause: just by posting comments, they are already helping our community.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); April 5th, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro), Jephtha thanked for this post
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew it would come to this................. everybody wants money.................. how about you pay me $250 and I name you Anne's Life Donator in exchange. After all, isn't the enhancement in your quality of life delivered by me, worthy of at least that much?

4. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post
    I knew it would come to this................. everybody wants money.................. how about you pay me $250 and I name you Anne's Life Donator in exchange. After all, isn't the enhancement in your quality of life delivered by me, worthy of at least that much?
    OK. The check is in the mail. I'm sending you $500 because you're being too cheap, you're worth more than $250.
    To mail the check, I used this new parcel service managed by, apparently, a race of dwarfs called the Nibelung. I don't know how fast they work, so, don't blame me if the check takes several years to arrive.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

6. Likes Tardis liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where is that Donate button?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    Where is that Donate button?
    You serious? Scroll down and you can't miss it. It's right below the hit counter. Big and orange.

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    As a token of appreciation, we have granted to Donor Members a couple of perks. Since they help paying for our bandwidth, it is fitting that we adjust their accounts to have a bigger capacity for bandwidth usage. Therefore, Donor Members are now able to keep 500 messages in their Private Messages mailboxes, rather than the 50 afforded to general members. They are also able to use the Calendar function to post events they want to publicize. If they organize groups, those groups can be identified by an uploaded picture or logo.
    What?!?! No Patron Lounge? Or at least Belmont Room?

[just joking!]

Thank you Almaviva!

10. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post