Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Staff Member - tyroneslothrop - and new style/atmosphere

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

New Staff Member - tyroneslothrop - and new style/atmosphere

Opera Lively is pleased to announce that tyroneslothrop has joined our staff. His title is Opera Lively Coordinator since his job description will include help with restructuring the site, not only content-wise, but also graphically. Thank you tyroneslothrop for accepting your new responsibilities!

-----------

We have recently received feedback from several members about the fact that our site progressively lost its "lively" appeal and adopted an atmosphere that has been described as humorless, too serious, and intimidating. We learned of members who, in function of this perceived style, lost their interest in posting with us, and focused their online operatic needs elsewhere. We hope to attract them back.

As you may have noticed, we've been experiencing some leadership changes. It's a good occasion to also change our atmosphere and style. Therefore, do expect that in the next few weeks, the site will become, so to speak, "friendlier," less judgmental, with less rigid rules, and more encouraging of spontaneous member participation - which does not mean that we will not continue to also provide serious content and original journalistic content. Even the graphic environment will reflect the new era, once it gets updated in the next several weeks.

It is encouraging to notice that even without an announcement of formal changes (some informal ones are already ongoing and visible), we've been already experiencing a surge in participation in the last few days.

In terms of the new administrative structure, Almaviva will accumulate the functions of owner, administrator, and chief editor, for the foreseeable future. The staff members will continue to assist the administrator in carrying forward the site's mission.

Here's a round of applause to our new staff member tyroneslothrop, with wishes of a better future for Opera Lively!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Likes Laece liked this post
    Junior Member Recent member Laece's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Tyroneslothrop

4. Thanks tyroneslothrop thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you!
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, tyroneslothrop!

But . . . I think the new responsibilities have already taken a toll on you. You look so . . . different . . .

7. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Tyroneslothrop on your appointment
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG, I can't believe it, but I am back!

For those not aware, my day job ebbs and flows with the US Federal Government calendar, and so the last 7 weeks have been murder as the FY2013 ticked to a close! Going to catch up on all the threads here I missed this week :-)
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

10. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back, tyroneslothrop!

Senior Member Involved Member Vesteralen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    We have recently received feedback from several members about the fact that our site progressively lost its "lively" appeal and adopted an atmosphere that has been described as humorless, too serious, and intimidating. We learned of members who, in function of this perceived style, lost their interest in posting with us, and focused their online operatic needs elsewhere. We hope to attract them back.

It's a good occasion to also change our atmosphere and style. Therefore, do expect that in the next few weeks, the site will become, so to speak, "friendlier," less judgmental, with less rigid rules, and more encouraging of spontaneous member participation -

Here's a round of applause to our new staff member tyroneslothrop, with wishes of a better future for Opera Lively!
    Well, I'll join in the applause......though, I have no idea of what's going on at this site (can't you tell?)

Personally, I've always viewed this site as a place to come for meaningful observations, and not as a place to hang out.

I'm sure you'd all regret it if I decided to do the latter.

But, hey...I'm all for more friendly. Never noticed it wasn't.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post

For those not aware, my day job ebbs and flows with the US Federal Government calendar, and so the last 7 weeks have been murder as the FY2013 ticked to a close! Going to catch up on all the threads here I missed this week :-)
    About time too.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesteralen View Post

But, hey...I'm all for more friendly. Never noticed it wasn't.
    Well, it wasn't. It is, now. The difference may be subtle for those who weren't here every day, but is real, I think. To the point that I was discouraged and uninterested at a certain point (without understanding why; now, I do) and now I miss Opera Lively again (I've been largely absent due to a surge in busy time at the day job, just like Tyrone). The next two and a half weeks I won't be very present either, but hopefully late October and on, I'll be here more often.

Welcome back, Tyrone. You are one of the main components of the "Lively" part!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Greetings tyroneslothrop from Berkhamsted.
    I wore the newest member crown for about 3 days of the past week. I am a junior member in more than one sense; I have very little knowledge about Opera. I'm here to learn off other community members.
    And I like cricket.
    And gardening.
    And I'm not very good with the grammar.
    And sometimes I babble on a bit.

17. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Well, it wasn't. It is, now. The difference may be subtle for those who weren't here every day, but is real, I think. To the point that I was discouraged and uninterested at a certain point (without understanding why; now, I do) and now I miss Opera Lively again
    I guess the one thing I have noticed, or shall we say, just wondered about here is whether or not it seems to be easier here than other places to commit some kind of unintentional faux pas.

It seems fairly clear that there are other forums (fora?) that should not be referred to. But, are there also certain institutions or periodicals relating to opera that will also bring a jaundiced eye if mentioned?

These are the kind of things that may make some newer people nervous about posting. One doesn't like to offend, but on the other hand, one doesn't like to be constantly looking over one's shoulder either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesteralen View Post
    It seems fairly clear that there are other forums (fora?) that should not be referred to. But, are there also certain institutions or periodicals relating to opera that will also bring a jaundiced eye if mentioned?
    I'm not sure what you mean. The Terms of Service allow posters to reference other opera-related sites, though detrimental comments about them are prohibited. There is no stated policy about other institutions or periodicals, so you are free to discuss them as you will, within reasonable bounds of truthfulness and decorum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. The Terms of Service allow posters to reference other opera-related sites, though detrimental comments about them are prohibited. There is no stated policy about other institutions or periodicals, so you are free to discuss them as you will, within reasonable bounds of truthfulness and decorum.
    Thanks. Sometimes one feels there are both written and unwritten rules when you are newly entering into a group where most of the people seem to know each other well. It's good to know that's not the case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast