Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Wanted: Resources for learning about Tristan und Isolde

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    near Washington, DC
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wanted: Resources for learning about Tristan und Isolde

    I am going to be a supernumerary in a production of Tristan und Isolde. I don't know much about Wagner. I would like to learn more about the opera. I would appreciate recommendations for resources, including discussion of leitmotivs, etc. Danke.

  2. #2
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleofide View Post
    I am going to be a supernumerary in a production of Tristan und Isolde. I don't know much about Wagner. I would like to learn more about the opera. I would appreciate recommendations for resources, including discussion of leitmotivs, etc. Danke.
    For a great overview of the philosophical underpinnings of the opera, I recommend Bryan Magee's book the Tristan Chord. It is written with exemplary clarity and is quite fascinating.



    In this DVD of an excellent production, there is a fantastic documentary about the work:

    Natalie

  3. #3
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,222
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume you will be supering in the Washington National Opera Tristan scheduled for next month. I'm envious. I did a lot of 'super' work at the Kennedy Center with the Met (when it was still touring) and the Vienna State Opera when it was in town in 1979.

    Have a great time!

  4. #4
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleofide View Post
    I am going to be a supernumerary in a production of Tristan und Isolde. I don't know much about Wagner. I would like to learn more about the opera. I would appreciate recommendations for resources, including discussion of leitmotivs, etc. Danke.
    Hey, it's Eli! You got the super position you were telling me about. Did you finish reading the Ring guide I recommended to you?
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #5
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    near Washington, DC
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Hey, it's Eli! You got the super position you were telling me about. Did you finish reading the Ring guide I recommended to you?
    Eli, not yet. I'm reading the Tristan and Isolde section of Newman's "The Wagner Operas."

  6. #6
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    near Washington, DC
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Newman book keeps referring to Wagner's "prose sketch" for Tristan and Isolde, and recommends reading it. Where can I get a copy of that? Thanks.

  7. #7
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleofide View Post
    The Newman book keeps referring to Wagner's "prose sketch" for Tristan and Isolde, and recommends reading it. Where can I get a copy of that? Thanks.
    If you read German, one place is volume 4, pp. 84-103: [clicky]

    I've searched the Internet before for a prosaentwurf for Parsifal (including searching books.google.com), and couldn't find it so I don't know if any of Wagner's prosaentwurf are available somewhere online.
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

  8. Likes Cleofide liked this post
  9. #8
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    near Washington, DC
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    If you read German, one place is volume 4, pp. 84-103: [clicky]

    I've searched the Internet before for a prosaentwurf for Parsifal (including searching books.google.com), and couldn't find it so I don't know if any of Wagner's prosaentwurf are available somewhere online.
    Danke. How did you figure out it was that volume and those pages?

  10. #9
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleofide View Post
    Danke. How did you figure out it was that volume and those pages?
    google: prosaentwurf Tristan und Isolde site:de
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

  11. #10
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    near Washington, DC
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    For a great overview of the philosophical underpinnings of the opera, I recommend Bryan Magee's book the Tristan Chord. It is written with exemplary clarity and is quite fascinating.



    In this DVD of an excellent production, there is a fantastic documentary about the work:

    Soave Fanciulla,

    I ordered both and have started reading "The Tristan Chord." Thanks for the recommendations.

Similar Threads

  1. I know this isn't big news, but I just wanted you guys to know...
    By Vesteralen in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: September 6th, 2012, 05:01 PM
  2. "Liebestod" as a concept outside of Tristan und Isolde
    By AmericanGesamtkunstwerk in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 15th, 2012, 04:34 PM
  3. Wanted dead or alive: Maurizio Pollini
    By jflatter in forum Non-Operatic, Non-Vocal Classical Music
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 6th, 2012, 08:39 PM
  4. Tristan und Isolde in Oslo
    By Aksel in forum Opera House & Theater Performance Reviews
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 29th, 2012, 01:17 AM
  5. Tristan und Isolde - the potion
    By emiellucifuge in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: March 12th, 2012, 06:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS