Thread: Vocal Recitals

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Vocal Recitals

I love vocal recitals, but haven't seen one in a year or so - the last was Joyce DiDonato, who sang beautifully through a cold (including a box of Kleenex on the piano). My first recital was Birgit Nilsson, ca. 1980, when she was 62. She sang in the Kennedy Center Opera House, with the orchestra on stage with her. She took most of the first half to warm up, with not so memorable versions of 'O Dich Teure Halle' and Liebestod, among others. After the intermission/interval, though, she came out and sang the last 20 or 30 minutes of Salome, and had people nearly jumping out of their seats. I could only sit in amazement, with my mouth hanging open.

Have you attended any recitals of note? Any recitals that turned out to be disappointing?

2. Likes Sonata liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I love vocal recitals, but haven't seen one in a year or so - the last was Joyce DiDonato, who sang beautifully through a cold (including a box of Kleenex on the piano). My first recital was Birgit Nilsson, ca. 1980, when she was 62. She sang in the Kennedy Center Opera House, with the orchestra on stage with her. She took most of the first half to warm up, with not so memorable versions of 'O Dich Teure Halle' and Liebestod, among others. After the intermission/interval, though, she came out and sang the last 20 or 30 minutes of Salome, and had people nearly jumping out of their seats. I could only sit in amazement, with my mouth hanging open.

Have you attended any recitals of note? Any recitals that turned out to be disappointing?
    Over the last year-and-a-half I've attended some notable ones: Lawrence Brownlee, Frederica von Stade, Anne Sofie von Otter, Magdalena Kozená, and Philippe Jarrousky - the latter was particularly good, especially for me, since as you know, I consider him to be the best male singer in activity, so it was the one I enjoyed the most. While Magdalena's was a more complex one with contemporary music and some difficult pieces that weren't always pleasant to the ear, it was quite interesting. The other three were all outstanding as well. Big disappointment was one with Jennifer Larmore. I thought that her voice was a pale shadow of its former glory and it was kind of painful to watch. A much older singer like Frederica von Stade obviously was much wiser in preserving her voice, because she can still put together a spectacular show (the same applies to Ms. von Otter).
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

4. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have two interesting recitals coming up this season in DC: Michael Fabiano in November and Luca Pisaroni in January. Both will be singing one of the small, intimate theaters within the Kennedy Center, and both have only a scattering of fringe seating remaining.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    We have two interesting recitals coming up this season in DC: Michael Fabiano in November and Luca Pisaroni in January. Both will be singing one of the small, intimate theaters within the Kennedy Center, and both have only a scattering of fringe seating remaining.
    Whoa! I love Luca Pisaroni. I should get tickets for that one. Michael Fabiano is very good too.

Edit - OK, I've located it. Arghh, a Friday. Bad day to drive to Washington DC with all the traffic. Kind of tiresome. Hm... I'm not sure. [clicky] Might as well wait to see him again in a full opera. He is doing The Enchanted Island in February and La Cenerentola in April, both at the Met.

I find it kind of difficult to brave the 4 hour-drive back and forth to DC if it's not in the middle of the weekend.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); September 12th, 2013 at 04:10 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My favourite vocal recital was Andreas Scholl, last year. He actually came to new Zealand. His voice is as beautiful in the flesh as it is on CD. Although I think Jaroussky is a more interesting singer, I don't find that his voice has the same natural beauty as Scholl's.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    You and Luiz and the countertenors!

I have to admit that I am only vaguely aware of the countertenor Fach. I liked the Met's Giulio Cesare, with its extravagant use of, I think it was, 4 countertenors, and watched the clips of Philip Jaroussky and Andreas Scholl singing 'Ombra Mai Fu' during that debate here a month or so ago - but that's about it. I guess it's time to get a good recording by both of these guys and see what they are all about.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we have had a countertenor recital in DC in a long time, if at all.