Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 154

Thread: Your next opera experience - what are you going to see next?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #136
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    A number of operas coming up in February and March:

    February 19: Léonore, ou l'amour conjugal by Pierre Gaveaux (1798) (w/Kimy McLaren/Leonore, Jean-Michel Richer/Florestan, Dominique Cote/Pizarro) at Opera Lafayette, Washington, DC

    February 25: I Puritani by Vincenzo Bellini (1834) (with Diana Damrau, Javier Camarena, Luca Pisaroni), at the Metropolitan Opera, New York

    March 5: Leonore by Ludwig van Beethoven (1805) (with Marjorie Owens, Simon O'Neill, Alan Held) at Washington Concert Opera, Washington, DC

    March 8: Dead Man Walking by Jake Heggie (2000) (with Kate Lindsey and Susan Graham) at Washington National Opera (WNO), Washington, DC

    March 15: Champion by Terence Blanchard (2013) (with Arthur Woodley, Aubrey Allicock, Denyce Graves) at WNO, Washington, DC



    I believe that Opera Lafayette and Washington Concert Opera collaborated on their seasons since they will be presenting both other contemporaneous iterations of what we know as Fidelio. Should be interesting to be able to compare - especially Beethoven's earlier composition titled Leonore, which he re-worked over the years until he premiered it as Fidelio in 1814.
    Very interesting line up.

  2. #137
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    A number of operas coming up in February and March:

    February 19: Léonore, ou l'amour conjugal by Pierre Gaveaux (1798) (w/Kimy McLaren/Leonore, Jean-Michel Richer/Florestan, Dominique Cote/Pizarro) at Opera Lafayette, Washington, DC

    February 25: I Puritani by Vincenzo Bellini (1834) (with Diana Damrau, Javier Camarena, Luca Pisaroni), at the Metropolitan Opera, New York

    March 5: Leonore by Ludwig van Beethoven (1805) (with Marjorie Owens, Simon O'Neill, Alan Held) at Washington Concert Opera, Washington, DC

    March 8: Dead Man Walking by Jake Heggie (2000) (with Kate Lindsey and Susan Graham) at Washington National Opera (WNO), Washington, DC

    March 15: Champion by Terence Blanchard (2013) (with Arthur Woodley, Aubrey Allicock, Denyce Graves) at WNO, Washington, DC



    I believe that Opera Lafayette and Washington Concert Opera collaborated on their seasons since they will be presenting both other contemporaneous iterations of what we know as Fidelio. Should be interesting to be able to compare - especially Beethoven's earlier composition titled Leonore, which he re-worked over the years until he premiered it as Fidelio in 1814.
    I know that some of Opera Lafayette's performances have been released on CD, and I'm really hoping that will be the case with Gaveaux's opera. I have Paer's Leonora and the 1805 version of Fidelio on disc (as well as Mayr's L'Amor Coniugale), so the Gaveaux is really the "missing link" for me. It would be very interesting to hear his treatment of Bouilly's drama and compare it to all the others. For example, I think Pizarre is a spoken role in Gaveaux.

  3. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  4. #138
    Member Recent member ValkyrieSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wednesday and Thursday nights (2/22 & 23), I will attend the dress rehearsals for Seattle Opera's Katya Kabanova. This is a first time for me, very excited to see it. This is my birthday treat so will be happy to be in an audience two nights in a row. You can count on my review after I see it for the 4th time in a few weeks.

  5. #139
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spring season finally starting to kick in to gear here in Texas:

    3/19 - Britten's The Turn of the Screw - Dallas
    4/2 - Adamo's Little Women - Houston (Heights, not the HGO)
    4/29 - Bellini's Norma - Dallas

  6. #140
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Spring season finally starting to kick in to gear here in Texas:

    3/19 - Britten's The Turn of the Screw - Dallas
    4/2 - Adamo's Little Women - Houston (Heights, not the HGO)
    4/29 - Bellini's Norma - Dallas
    Thanks for the heads up.

  7. #141
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,996
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last night's concert performance of Handel's Ariodante featuring Joyce Didonato as Ariodante was absolutely awesome! Every singer was so wonderful that I hate to point one out over and above the others. Having a small orchestra of 22 musicians was great because the orchestra was just the right volume level compared to the singers. But I don't recall ever hearing singers who could project their voices so loudly and clearly and I have been to half a dozen Messiah concerts. These singers are among the greatest, which of course is true for Joyce. I was very impressed with them all, the contralto, the bass, the tenor David Portillo and the sopranos, even Mary Bevan who was a late replacement for Joelle Harvey such that a separate printed sheet on her was included with the program. The only one I can't really comment on is Tyson Miller who played the King's servant as his parts are so small I really don't recall much about his singing.

    http://ums.org/performance/handels-ariodante/

    The English Concert
    Harry Bicket, artistic director/harpsichord
    Joyce DiDonato, mezzo-soprano (Ariodante)
    Christiane Karg, soprano (Ginevra)
    Mary Bevan, soprano (Dalinda)
    Sonia Prina, contralto (Polinesso)
    David Portillo, tenor (Lucanio)
    Matthew Brook, bass (King of Scotland)
    Tyson Miller, tenor (Odoardo)
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  8. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
  9. #142
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thomas Adès' The Exterminating Angel tomorrow.

    I'm not sure I really like modern opera but I do know that I find it incredibly exciting to see something conducted by the composer and I can't wait to see it.

    Bachtrack review

  10. Likes MAuer, Dichteurehalle, Povero Buoso liked this post
  11. #143
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Thomas Adès' The Exterminating Angel tomorrow.

    I'm not sure I really like modern opera but I do know that I find it incredibly exciting to see something conducted by the composer and I can't wait to see it.

    Bachtrack review
    I managed to catch the premiere of this on the Monday. As it is such a new opera I am wondering if it is right to do a review for the site? I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

  12. #144
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    I managed to catch the premiere of this on the Monday. As it is such a new opera I am wondering if it is right to do a review for the site? I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
    It won't spoil it for me but I'm not sure about the others on here who might see it.

  13. #145
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    I managed to catch the premiere of this on the Monday. As it is such a new opera I am wondering if it is right to do a review for the site? I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
    Review away! Spoiler-phobes can wait & read it later - although I don't think there are many spoiler-phobic opera fans ("This prelude sounds tragic, thanks for spoiling the ending Verdi!!") - but some of us have to wait another 6 months and need some deets to make the wait easier to bear.

  14. #146
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes please, a review would be lovely! I'm an inveterate self-spoiler of things - pretty much the instant I heard we were getting a production of this, I went and read the synopsis on wikipedia.

  15. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  16. #147
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    "This prelude sounds tragic, thanks for spoiling the ending Verdi!!
    An imaginary dialogue with a spoiler-phobic opera fan

    Fan 1. What Mimi dies! Thank for the spoiler!
    Fan 2. But shes been dead for 121 years?
    Fan 1. Spoilers!!!!
    Fan 2. Why are you mad though we're here to see Tosca?
    Fan 1. But I haven't seen Boheme
    Fan 2. I'm sorry...
    Fan 1. You better not spoil this for me she just killed the bad guy I think there's gonna be a happy ending!
    Fan 2. Ummm....
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

  17. #148
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    I managed to catch the premiere of this on the Monday. As it is such a new opera I am wondering if it is right to do a review for the site? I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
    Hey, of course it is OK to review a new opera. In any case, Florestan has done it already so spolier-wise it's a moot point. I can't wait to see this opera in person when it comes to the Met in October (already booked my trip).
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  18. #149
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few last minute operas before this year's Berlin trip (crosses fingers...):

    May 2 Ariodante Joyce DiDonato
    May 10 Madama Butterfly WNO (no singers I recognize)
    May 31 Les Indes Galantes (Part IV) Opera Lafayette

  19. #150
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    ("This prelude sounds tragic, thanks for spoiling the ending Verdi!!")

  20. Likes ValkyrieSue liked this post
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. First Opera Experience
    By Hoffmann in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 10th, 2013, 04:57 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS