Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Your next opera experience - what are you going to see next?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On January 17, Opera Lafayette's production of Les Femmes Vengées (The Avenging Wives), a 1775 opéra-comique by Philidor and Sedaine. Conducted by Ryan Brown, this is the American premiere at the Kennedy Center's Terrace Theater:

http://www.operalafayette.org/les-femmes-vengees

2. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Forgive me, but keeping in mind that live opera is my preferred venue, and that I am retired, my line-up is as follows:
    Katya Kabanova Berliner Staatsoper, Berlin 1/29
    [Dvorak: Cello Concerto Berlin Philharmonic] 1/30
    Salome Berliner Staatsoper w/Camilla Nylund/Zubin Mehta 2/2

Then, plans include, but tix not yet purchased:

Love for Three Oranges Komische Oper, Berlin 2/4
    Xerxes Komische Oper 2/5
    La Gioconda Deutsche Oper 2/6
    La Traviata Deutsche Oper w/Alexandra Kurzak 2/8
    Jenufa Deutsche Oper w/Jennifer Larmore 2/9
    La Clemenza di Tito Bayerische Staatsoper, Munich, w/Kristine Opolais 2/10
    Tales of Hoffmann Bayerische Staatsoper w/Joseph Calleja 2/11
    Il Turco in Italia Bayerische Staatsoper w/ Lawrence Brownlee & D'Archangelo 2/13
    BIG TRIP next week!

Did you get all tickets as planned?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know - I'm all up in packing for 3 week trip - I have to leave for the airport in a couple of hours.

Yes, almost all tickets listed above purchased - except Jenufa (and, according the Deutsche Oper website, the house is not even 50% booked at this point, so shouldn't have a problem getting a ticket when I get there) and La Traviata, where Aleksandra Kurzak apparently cancelled - and I'm not wild about the opera, so no problem for me. I also have an extra ticket for La Gioconda if you (or someone else out there) wants to join me!

Meanwhile, first stop: Istanbul for 4 days (no opera, though)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, almost all tickets listed above purchased

I know - I'm all up in packing for 3 week trip - I have to leave for the airport in a couple of hours...
    Have a safe trip!
    Do you have a walkie-talkie with interweb access? If so, looking forward to receiving updates. Otherwise you have a lot of homework to hand in on your return.

... I also have an extra ticket for La Gioconda if you (or someone else out there) wants to join me!
    Ooh, very tempting offer...

Europe and Asia in one trip!
    Lots of pictures please!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know - I'm all up in packing for 3 week trip - I have to leave for the airport in a couple of hours.

Yes, almost all tickets listed above purchased - except Jenufa (and, according the Deutsche Oper website, the house is not even 50% booked at this point, so shouldn't have a problem getting a ticket when I get there) and La Traviata, where Aleksandra Kurzak apparently cancelled - and I'm not wild about the opera, so no problem for me. I also have an extra ticket for La Gioconda if you (or someone else out there) wants to join me!

Aleksandra Kurzak is expecting a baby any time now (Daddy is Roberto Alagna) so she had good reason to cancel.

Meanwhile ...

... hope you have a fabulous trip!!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be contact via iPad - it's not clear if Berlin hotel has internet svc, so Starbucks and I are already well-acquainted.

Photos for sure!

I know I probably should start writing reviews while I'm gone so I won't have to do it all at once, but then, I've never done things the easy way before, so no need to start now!

8. Likes MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Aleksandra Kurzak is expecting a baby any time now (Daddy is Roberto Alagna) so she had good reason to cancel.

Meanwhile ...

... hope you have a fabulous trip!!
    Thanks!

That would explain Ms Kurzak's absence - I hope that Daddy Alagna will not be cancelling his engagements - he is scheduled to sing Hoffmann(!) in Munich!

10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so envious! Have a fabulous trip!

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh darn, I got so busy, Hoffmann asked for tips about Istanbul and I never answered, now it looks like he's gone already. But if he gets to this thread, I'll write it up here.

First of all, I didn't really go to any gourmet restaurants in Istanbul except my own hotel's restaurant (good but nothing to write home about) and the cafeteria at Istanbul Modern (their museum of modern art) which is actually rather excellent. The other days we pretty much ate the food from street vendors and markets, bought bread and assorted appetizers and wine and took it all back to the hotel, etc. I did go to excellent restaurants in Cappadocia but not in Istanbul. So, I don't have restaurant recommendations.

But the city itself is simply phenomenal. The best thing in Istanbul is to walk around and get a feel for the different neighborhoods. Of course the main touristic attractions must be visited, first because they are extraordinary, second because they are very conveniently located one next to the other so in one sweep you see them all. These are: the Aya Sophia, the Blue Mosque, and the Topkapi Palace. They are all three together in the same Sultanameht neighborhood (where I think your hotel is). Get the museum pass which will save you some bucks and will give you access to the express lines to visit the three attractions since the regular lines for single tickets can be very long. You buy the pass from official vans parked close to the entrance of the Aya Sophia. Behind the Blue Mosque there is an interesting market, and even further behind it, a single-street bazaar that has good articles including art objects and is less crowded and less expensive than the Grand Bazaar. All of this will take a full day especially the Topkapi Palace which is HUGE. Around the three attractions there are some other interesting stuff like Hippodrome with the obelisks, and the not-to-be-missed Archeology Museum. There is a small Mosaic Museum that is also included in the pass, behind the Blue Mosque next to the single-street bazaar I've mentioned. It's OK, not essential (but hey, you've paid for it already and it can be seen in five minutes). Also, the Basilica Cistern is in the neighborhood and very much worth seeing (separate fee). If you don't have time for all of the above, the pass is valid for more than one day (I think, three - I'm certain that it remains valid for at least 48 hours after your first use of it; could be three days) so you can split.

After you are done with the Sultanameht neighborhood, take the tram to Eminonu and visit the Spice Market (actually much better than the Grand Bazaar, for my taste) and the Galata Bridge. From the Eminonu side of the Golden Horn (the body of water crossed by the Galata Bridge) you can take a boat tour of the Bosphorus, absolutely not to be missed. Then, cross the bridge by foot, to Karakoy and ask for directions to the Tunel. It's an underground subway line with only one stretch, linking Karakoy to Beyoglu. What you want to do in Beyoglu is walk through the whole extension of the Istiklal Caddesi, which is the main bohemian street in Istanbul with all the night life, art galleries, good restaurants, boutiques, etc. The other end of it is Taksim Square - of some interest just to walk around it briefly, and see the place where all the recent protests happened. The Istiklal Caddesi is best visited in the evening when it gets really lively. Another attraction nearby is the Galata Tower.

Another day could be spent this way: Grand Bazaar (probably walking distance from your hotel). Once done with it, take the tram to the end of the line in Kabatas - continue by foot going in the same direction for a few more yards and you'll get to the Dolmabahce Palace and its beautiful gardens, also worth visiting inside. Then, either walk back or take the tram to Tophane. Over there, visit Istanbul Modern (a truly spectacular museum of modern art). These three attractions could easily take the entire day if you want to explore them fully.

If your Sultanameht tours took two days, then you're done. If they took one or one and a half, you have the time for some other attractions. They are farther away, might need a taxi cab. For example, you could see the gorgeous Kariye Museum - also included in the pass although you wouldn't know because the pass documentation calls it by the name of Chora which is weird since almost nobody refers to it as Chora but rather as Kariye, and don't use the map in the pass documentation to find it as it is marked in the wrong place, go figure. It is actually located in the Edinerkapi neighborhood. From there you can also visit the City Walls.

Another option is touring the Prince's Islands. There are faster and slower (cheaper) options and you can hop from island to island if you plan well with the schedule. The faster option is the sea bus and they sail from the Adalar terminal in Kabatas. The ferry, cheaper but slower, sails from both Kabatas and Karakoy.

The Istanbulkart is a good option to pay for public transport including some of the boats (not the Bosphorus cruise, but the others, yes).

Enjoy one of the most spectacular cities in the world!
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 24th, 2014 at 01:50 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    On the back of the performance yesterday (La fille du régiment; see thread: "La fille du régiment, ROH Covent Garden, 12 March 2014") by JDF, I have just received the okay by the general manager of domestic affairs to purchase tickets for La Cenerentola this May at the MET.

I got tickets! It is not sold out and there are still a lot left.

La Cenerentola
    Conductor: Fabio Luisi
    Angelina: Joyce DiDonato
    Don Ramiro: Juan Diego Flórez
    Dandini: Pietro Spagnoli
    Don Magnifico: Alessandro Corbelli
    Alidoro: Luca Pisaroni

15. Likes Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    On the back of the performance yesterday (La fille du régiment; see thread: "La fille du régiment, ROH Covent Garden, 12 March 2014") by JDF, I have just received the okay by the general manager of domestic affairs to purchase tickets for La Cenerentola this May at the MET.

La Cenerentola

What a fabulous cast!!!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like

In April - The above production with Sonya Yoncheva, making her role debut with The Royal Opera, Joseph Calleja, Simon Keenlyside and Bryn Terfel. Would have been the first time I'd seen Anna Netrebko but she cancelled.

I saw it before with Hvorostovsky, Gheorghiu, Grigolo & Pape & I did enjoy it.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

18. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

La Cenerentola
    When? I'll be in NYC in early May and will attend one of the performances (I don't remember the exact date without checking, the ticket is upstairs and I feel lazy...), we should meet. I'll interview Juan Diego Flórez in person.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    When? I'll be in NYC in early May and will attend one of the performances (I don't remember the exact date without checking, the ticket is upstairs and I feel lazy...), we should meet. I'll interview Juan Diego Flórez in person.
    That sounds like fun. Add to that you're interviewing Mr. Flórez! If I can think of an intelligent question that you would ask, can I be your (silent) assistant? Only joking!

We are only in NY for three nights and we have family there, so added to your schedule which I am sure is very busy, it may be difficult but we are there for the performance on the sixth and I Puritani on the following night.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like fun. Add to that you're interviewing Mr. Flórez! If I can think of an intelligent question that you would ask, can I be your (silent) assistant? Only joking!

We are only in NY for three nights and we have family there, so added to your schedule which I am sure is very busy, it may be difficult but we are there for the performance on the sixth and I Puritani on the following night.
    Great, I checked, and CountessAlmaviva and I are indeed attending the performance on May 6! We'll be there at the same time. If you want to meet before the performance for dinner it would be lovely. Of course if you don't want to meet since you are with family, that's OK. We leave on the 7th. The interview with Flórez is on Sunday the 4th, probably before you get there otherwise sure, you'd be able to come with me.

I'll also have interviews with Olga Peretyatko, Mariusz Kiewcien, and Isabel Leonard - exact times and dates for these haven't been established but usually it doesn't interfere with dinner.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast