Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Your next opera experience - what are you going to see next?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am already planning my next opera trip to Berlin, where I will meet an opera companion I met during a Ring a couple of years ago. We had decided on the operas, and she emailed this morning to say that Lohengrin already is 90% sold - - for April, 2015:

Lohengrin (Deutsche Oper) 19 April 2015

Lohengrin: Klaus Florian Vogt
    Elsa: Anja Harteros
    Ortrud: Waltraud Meier

Conductor: Donald Runnicles

2. Likes MAuer, Amfortas liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I am already planning my next opera trip to Berlin, where I will meet an opera companion I met during a Ring a couple of years ago. We had decided on the operas, and she emailed this morning to say that Lohengrin already is 90% sold - - for April, 2015:

You'll have to get booking then!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really surprising with that line up!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Lohengrin is booked!

Along with Parsifal and Tannhäuser at the Berliner Staatsoper:

Parsifal

Parsifal: Andreas Schager
    Amfortas: Wolfgang Koch
    Gurnemanz: Rene Pape
    Kundry: Anja Kampe

Conductor: Daniel Barenboim

This is a new production by Dmitri Tcherniakov.

Tannhäuser

Tannhäuser: Peter Seiffert
    Venus: Marina Prudenskaya
    Elisabeth: Adrianne Pieczonka
    Landgraf: Kwangchul Youn

Conductor: Daniel Barenboim

I love visiting Berlin, but wish we could get operas and casting like this here - at least outside of NYC and Chicago.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice spring opera tour. I was seeing if there was anything in London to tempt you over here whilst your this side of the Atlantic...

err... In Turco in Italia?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Nice spring opera tour. I was seeing if there was anything in London to tempt you over here whilst your this side of the Atlantic...

err... In Turco in Italia?
    But I just saw Turco in Italia(in Munich)! I shouldn't admit that - I skipped writing up a review.

ROH certainly is one of the top houses. London, though, is so expensive it makes my head swim. Also one of the reasons I don't go to the Met all that often.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a great opera tour Hoffmann has scheduled! As for Yours Truly, the next "opera experience" is Carmen with the Cincinnati Opera in about three weeks. Seasons here always include one or two popular repertoire warhorses (keep the books in the black), and Carmen is one of this year's pair. But aside from that dismal Swedish production that had the naked dude flailing around while Carmen sang the Habañera (sadly off key), this is one of those operas that most companies manage to perform adequately, if not well. I'm expecting the local version to be toward the "well" end of the spectrum.

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    What a great opera tour Hoffmann has scheduled! As for Yours Truly, the next "opera experience" is Carmen with the Cincinnati Opera in about three weeks. Seasons here always include one or two popular repertoire warhorses (keep the books in the black), and Carmen is one of this year's pair. But aside from that dismal Swedish production that had the naked dude flailing around while Carmen sang the Habañera (sadly off key), this is one of those operas that most companies manage to perform adequately, if not well. I'm expecting the local version to be toward the "well" end of the spectrum.
    Carmen is on the schedule for Santa Fe this summer - it's an opera at which I've always turned up my nose, but it's been some years since I've seen a performance, and am looking forward to it.

I have to say, that spending time here on OL with you guys has taught me a lot (and for someone who already knew everything, that's saying something!) and gone a long way toward opening my mind to all kinds of things I never thought much about. Granted, contemporary opera (which also is on the schedule at Santa Fe) has a long way to go to meet muster, and I have yet to really dabble in DVDs, but I'm thinking about it!

11. Likes MAuer, Clayton, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carmen is on the schedule for Santa Fe this summer - it's an opera at which I've always turned up my nose, but it's been some years since I've seen a performance, and am looking forward to it.
    I'm sure it'll be great.

I have to say, that spending time here on OL with you guys has taught me a lot (and for someone who already knew everything, that's saying something!) and gone a long way toward opening my mind to all kinds of things I never thought much about. Granted, contemporary opera (which also is on the schedule at Santa Fe) has a long way to go to meet muster, and I have yet to really dabble in DVDs, but I'm thinking about it!
    I used to be frightened to try new opera. (WHY????!!! ) But you and all the others have encouraged me to try different stuff. Life enhancing!!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

13. Likes MAuer, Clayton, Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gloria - a Pigtale at Buxton.

Can't wait to see it. For once the hero is sung by a bass and he gets the girl!!

This is a synopsis.

Gloria - A Pig Tale by H K Gruber
    Duration: 90 minutes

Two-act music-theatre work for 5 singers and 9 session musicians plus harp

Libretto by Rudolf Herfurtner
    English translation by Amanda Holden

World Première
    17/11/1994

Roles
    Gloria: Soprano
    Solo pig and other roles: Mezzo Soprano
    Gerhard and other roles: Tenor
    Farmer and other roles: Baritone
    Rodrigo and other roles: Bass

Time and Place
    A farm in the mountains

Synopsis
    Gloria is rather special from the beginning because she has naturally curly golden hair and she knows she is the most beautiful pig in the mountains. Unfortunately, she is also the saddest, as the pigs in her sty are envious and spiteful and cannot tolerate anything out of the ordinary. Her cousin Gerhard and his troop of fellow swine make this unmistakably clear to her in the ‘March of the Pedigree Pigs’: the pedigree white German pig is blond, and its hair is short with no nonsense about it. Anything else is deviant, really deviant – almost as bad as being a wild pig. Gloria, this lovely lady pig, is left with only her hopes and her longings. But longings are like blindfolds, so Gloria does not realise that the Prince, when he finally comes, is actually the butcher. The poor little sausages hanging on the wall sing her a song of thwarted hope, but their warnings seem to be in vain. The whole thing threatens to end in sausages – until love puts in an appearance in the shape of Rodrigo, the wild hero. He knows the ways of the world and he knows the butcher, and he rescues the gorgeous lady pig. At last it all turns out just as the oxen said it would.

Rudolf Herfurtner
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

15. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm leaving for Santa Fe tomorrow afternoon, and meeting a couple of friends, one of whom has joined me for all of the operas I've seen in Munich, and is making the trip from Hong Kong.

Scheduled:

Carmen
    Don Pasquale
    Fidelio
    The Impresario/Le Rossignol
    Dr. Sun Yat-sen

I've read interesting reviews for each, but have to admit that I am not so sure about an opera about the love life of Dr. Sun Yat-sen. You know me and contemporary opera! I will be back in a week and will try and write up my take on the performances.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got tickets for the Met, they are on sale as of today at 12 noon, for my three upcoming trips to NYC, in November '14, February '15, and May '15.

Got Lady Macbeth with Westbroek; Il Barbiere with Leonard and Brownlee; La Bohème with Opolais in November.

Carmen with Garanca, Pérez, and Alagna; Don Giovanni with Mattei and Pisaroni in February.

The Rake's Progresss with Blythe and Appleby; Cavalleria Rusticana/Pagliacci with Westbroek, Lucic, Racette; Ballo with Radvanovsky and Beczla; The Merry Widow with De Niese in May.

All good. The Countess will go to all of them with me except Ballo, so that's good too. Plenty of interesting artists to interview (especially two of them I've never interviewed and always wanted to: Opolais and Garanca - hopefully they will accept interviews).

However, major disappointment: for the first time in years, I was unable to find tickets for a performance I really wanted: Netrebko's Iolanta/Bluebeard Castle. At least it's on Met in HD which goes on sale on August 22, so I hope to find tickets for that.

Please, bring back the economic crisis. I want those tickets to be available when I need them! (Kidding).

I used to be a Guild member to be able to get those tickets before general sales, but with the economic crisis, it became unnecessary and to save money I stopped doing this, always relying on finding tickets when they go on sale to the general public. Then, the show I most wanted, got sold out before it went out to the general public. Darn! There is only one performance still with tickets but I'm not in NYC that day.

Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 10th, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd have swapped my Kaufmann ticket for one to see Mattei in Don Giovanni.
    Natalie

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I'd have swapped my Kaufmann ticket for one to see Mattei in Don Giovanni.
    Blasphemy!

I know; you like those deeper voices.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I got tickets for Anna Netrebko's Iolanta/Bluebeard Castle after all. They opened up more tickets.
    So, now I got ten Met performances, this season.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast