Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The 20 favorite current singers for the Opera Lively community

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The 20 favorite current singers for the Opera Lively community

We are voting for favorite/recommended operas, so why not for favorite singers?

I propose a straightforward vote: each member will vote once and only once, for 10 female singers and 10 male singers in no particular order - just the person's ten favorites in each gender. We just count the votes; each vote for each singer is worth one point, and we get to the list based on the most voted artists.

Please notice that I'm saying "favorites" - not "best" which is both subjective as a concept, and also objective - but the objective part is a bit too technical for this exercise. We don't want to get into fine points of vocal technique. All singers who are worth voting for in such a small list of ten artists among the hundreds (thousands?) of singers in activity will necessarily have at the very least, very decent vocal technique (you can't get to and remain on the top of the profession without solid technique), and given that nobody is perfect, all of them are likely to have the odd little vocal issue here and there (which often has more to do with being miscast than with any serious shortcoming).

Opera Lively has already held a vote of vocal technique (we did it only for female singers, though - maybe one day we'll do it for males). This time, it's not just technique - it's more global, as implied in the "favorite" concept, and we are addressing both genders.

So, given that all these artists have fine technique give or take a few notches up and a few down, and give or take factors such as being still learning, having reached the peak, or being in decline, what makes a singer one of the favorites of our members is indeed quite subjective and linked to *multiple* factors - so we'll definitely not consider just vocal technique - and not necessarily current form, in the case of those singers already suffering from a bit of decline.

Some people will like the specific timbre of voice of a singer, and/or their musicality/phrasing. Others will enjoy their acting and stage presence; comic and/or dramatic flair. Others will pay attention to the importance of their lifetime body of work, and their advocacy for the art form. Others will also consider their looks (which I consider to be absolutely fair game - these artists are in the performing arts, and they do use their faces and bodies as elements of their performances). Others still will consider the singer's personality and intelligence (which is also fair game - a friendly and smart person with a charming personality will naturally earn more points in someone's favorite consideration). Others will look into the singer's repertory (e.g. Baroque, or bel canto, or contemporary opera, etc., given the voter's preferred sub-genres), or fach. And yes, some people will pay attention to technique, why not? While it is not the only factor for this vote, it is of course not excluded either.

In summary, most people will consider their favorites from a multitude of angles and a combination of all the above factors, and other factors I may have forgotten to mention. Someone's list of favorites is personal and not to be questioned or challenged. There is never a "wrong" list of favorites. Each person is entitled to his/her favorites, period. But as a community, it will be fun to pool our preferences together and come up with a list of the artists who have impressed the most Opera Lively members, and therefore collected more votes.

The only criterion I'd propose as mandatory is that the singers we're voting for, are *current* operatic singers, that is, they are still in activity on the operatic stage - no dead or retired singers or those who are semi-retired (such as the ones who are only active in the recital circuit) will belong in this list. Singers need to be currently performing opera on stage to qualify for this vote. I mean opera, not just lieder, etc.

Even though I said personal preferences are never "wrong" and shouldn't be strongly challenged, there is nothing wrong with a little light banter and teasing - this is part of how this kind of exercise can be fun for our community. Voters are encouraged to defend their favorites and praise their qualities, and sometimes they will engage with other voters in some sort of commentary. However I do ask our members to refrain from offensive negative comments about these fine artists. We need to respect the people who work very hard for very long years of gruesome preparation in order to perform our favorite art form for us. We wouldn't be listening to opera without singers. Being an opera singer is extremely difficult, and just the fact of making it, is admirable and honorable. So, please, very light and respectful banter is OK, but no bashing of these fine artists should be included in this exercise. Not only we don't want to spoil our friendship with fellow OL members by putting down singers they love, but we also want to maintain the high standards and the reputation of this web site - part of the appeal of our site is the fact that so many singers have graciously granted to us their time and attention in interviews, and have issued favorable comments about Opera Lively in their social media accounts - we definitely don't want to spoil that!

----------

OK, I'll start (again, in no particular order).

The ladies:

Joyce DiDonato
    Anna Netrebko
    Nina Stemme
    Waltraud Meier
    Anna Caterina Antonacci
    Renée Fleming
    Eva-Maria Westbroek
    Susan Graham
    Diana Damrau
    Barbara Hannigan

The gentlemen:

Juan Diego Flórez
    Jonas Kaufmann
    Philippe Jaroussky
    Plácido Domingo
    Piotr Beczala
    Jay Hunter Morris
    Luca Pisaroni
    René Pape
    Erwin Schrott
    Lawrence Brownlee

--------

There are plenty of other singers I like almost as much, but since there is space for only twenty, these are my twenty.

I'll defend each one, in one short line:

Joyce DiDonato - intelligent, fun, good-looking, phenomenal stage presence, good advocacy, very lyrical voice that is also agile with great technique, personable, and the queen of social media

Anna Netrebko - one of the most spectacular timbres of voice in the last several decades, and a tone of charm and beauty, able to command a stage and to carry a production on her own

Nina Stemme - what a fierce lady! Incredible in Wagnerian roles, and a great actress

Waltraud Meier - unmatched class and elegance, makes of every production she is in, something worth seeing

Anna Caterina Antonacci - intelligent, friendly, cultured, beautiful, a fabulous and naturally gifted actress with a killer voice that is quite unique and unusual

Renée Fleming - important body of works, eternally good-looking, a leader in the field

Eva-Maria Westbroek - unassuming, down-to-Earth but with amazing technique, very focused in the way she prepares for roles

Susan Graham - lots of fun, great charm, friendly and witty, amazing as a person, lights up the stage

Diana Damrau - rarely seen passion for the art form, putting together extremely intense performances

Barbara Hannigan - hugely talented in multiple fields (singer, actress, conductor, dancer) and the most active advocate for new and contemporary music (and very pretty)

-----

Juan Diego Flórez - the king of bel canto, great technique, consistently excellent in his performances

Jonas Kaufmann - phenomenal actor, handsome and believable in his roles, conveys emotion very well, great voice and superior technique

Philippe Jaroussky - angelic timbre of voice, exquisite technique, completely masters his repertory

Plácido Domingo - the most important body of works with a career spanning fifty years, versatile, huge repertory

Piotr Beczala - courageous, knows what he wants, focused, accurate technique, beautiful voice

Jay Hunter Morris - one of the nicest human beings in the business, passionate, lots of fun

Luca Pisaroni - charming, friendly, committed, always reaching for excellence

René Pape - secure, very precise singing with a beautiful timbre, classy

Erwin Schrott - fast evolution, getting better and better in singing and acting, good stage presence

Lawrence Brownlee - another nice human being, great sense of phrasing and musicality, beautiful high notes
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bump

Strange, I don't know why this post is not showing in the Activity Stream - this way, nobody will notice the vote. I'm bumping it to see if the new post shows up there.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Women

Joyce DiDonato
    Daniella Barcellona
    Anja Harteros
    Nina Stemme
    Waltraud Meier
    Anna Caterina Antonacci
    Patricia Petibon
    Romina Basso
    Miah Persson
    Barbara Hannigan

Men

Peter Mattei
    Jonas Kaufmann
    Klaus Florian Vogt
    Philippe Jaroussky
    Andreas Scholl
    Ian Bostridge
    Simon Keenlyside
    Gerald Finley
    Pavol Breslik
    Topi Lehtipuu

My criterion was: whose name on a recording sends me straight to checkout. But I still had to leave a lot of favourites out, some of them on your list, Luiz

Edit - OMG I can't believe I left out John Mark Ainsley! And Toby Spence! And Mark Padmore! And Ferruccio Furlanetto! And Valer Sabadus! And Franco Fagioli! And Ruggero Raimondi (still hanging in there, and still singing his original fach, unlike some other septuagenarians we might mention)!

Couldn't we have twenty?
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; December 26th, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
    Natalie

4. Likes MAuer, Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like Soave_Fanciulla, this list is qualified by the fact that if I saw their name on a list of performers, I would take immediate notice. This list is substantially different from a list that would have been compiled 3 months ago.

As opposed to championing the singers with their character or technical ability, I would like to look at the performances that marked these singers in my mind and heart.

Ladies

Edita Gruberova - Too may performances to list but undoubtedly a queen
    Angela Gheourghiu - Historic performance of Violetta and an unforgettable Adina
    Anna Netrebko - One of the most beautiful Giuletta's ever heard
    Elina Garanca - A beautiful and gallant Romeo and Sesto
    Barbara Hannigan - A haunting performance in Written on Skin
    Mireille Delunsch - A performance in Iphegenie en Tauride that is beautiful and torturing
    Marie-Nicole Lemieux - As for her rich and beautiful portrayal of Giulio Cesare
    Romina Basso - As Cornelia singing the brilliant duet
    Emoke Barath - As Sesto in Giulio Cesare opposite Lemieux and Basso
    Ann Hallenberg - Her performance as Tolomeo must surely make this one of the great Handel opera recordings

Gentlemen

Neil Schicoff - Many performances but a great Edgardo to Edita's Lucia
    Jose Bros - Most recently Gennaro but also Edgardo, Lord Percy,
    Roberto Alagna - A beautiful Nemorino and what an entertainer
    Marius Kwiecien - A galant and show stealing performance as Rodrigo
    Ferruccio Furlanetto - A majestic King Phillip at ROH
    Simon Keenlyside - Oreste, Billy, Giorgio, again too many performances to list
    Mark Padmore - Oh what a brilliant tortured Tito
    Jonas Kaufmann - A performance of Florestan that is incredible
    Leo Nucci - As Giorgio Germont his voice grabbed my heart
    Placido Domingo - Too many performances to list but undoubtedly a King

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me try to tally as we go otherwise it will become too difficult, later.

The ladies:

Barbara Hannigan 3
    Joyce DiDonato 2
    Anna Netrebko 2
    Nina Stemme 2
    Waltraud Meier 2
    Anna Caterina Antonacci 2
    Romina Basso 2
    Renée Fleming
    Eva-Maria Westbroek
    Susan Graham
    Diana Damrau
    Daniella Barcellona
    Anja Harteros
    Patricia Petibon
    Miah Persson
    Edita Gruberova
    Angela Gheourghiu
    Elina Garanca
    Mireille Delunsch
    Marie-Nicole Lemieux
    Emoke Barath
    Ann Hallenberg

The gentlemen:

Jonas Kaufmann 3
    Philippe Jaroussky 2
    Plácido Domingo 2
    Simon Keenlyside 2
    Juan Diego Flórez
    Piotr Beczala
    Jay Hunter Morris
    Luca Pisaroni
    René Pape
    Erwin Schrott
    Lawrence Brownlee
    Peter Mattei
    Klaus Florian Vogt
    Andreas Scholl
    Ian Bostridge
    Gerald Finley
    Pavol Breslik
    Topi Lehtipuu
    Neil Schicoff
    Jose Bros
    Roberto Alagna
    Marius Kwiecien
    Ferruccio Furlanetto
    Mark Padmore
    Leo Nucci

-----------

Maybe subsequent voters should do this as they vote - they'd vote then copy and paste the above list and update it according to their vote so that we won't need to rely on anyone in particular to tally the votes.

Please beware of voting for singers who are very old - please check if they're retired or not; or semi-retired (just doing recitals, not doing operatic stage - which would make them ineligible). One way to check is to look up the singer's official website and schedule; or look up operatic databases.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 26th, 2013 at 03:53 PM.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Maybe subsequent voters should do this as they vote - they'd vote then copy and paste the above list and update it according to their vote so that we won't need to rely on anyone in particular to tally the votes.
    Or we could just press gang Amfortas...

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ladies:

Anna Caterina Antonacci
    Diana Damrau
    Joyce DiDonato
    Renée Fleming
    Elina Garanca
    Waltraud Meier
    Kristine Opolais
    Miah Persson
    Patricia Petibon
    Adrianne Pieczonka

Gentlemen:

Plácido Domingo
    Gerald Finley
    Juan Diego Flórez
    Ferruccio Furlanetto
    Dmitri Hvorostovsky
    Jonas Kaufmann
    Simon Keenlyside
    René Pape
    Bryn Terfel
    Rolando Villazon

Updated Totals:

The ladies:

Barbara Hannigan 3
    Joyce DiDonato 3
    Anna Caterina Antonacci 3
    Waltraud Meier 3
    Anna Netrebko 2
    Nina Stemme 2
    Romina Basso 2
    Renée Fleming 2
    Diana Damrau 2
    Patricia Petibon 2
    Miah Persson 2
    Elina Garanca 2
    Eva-Maria Westbroek
    Susan Graham
    Daniella Barcellona
    Anja Harteros
    Edita Gruberova
    Angela Gheourghiu
    Mireille Delunsch
    Marie-Nicole Lemieux
    Emoke Barath
    Ann Hallenberg
    Kristine Opolais
    Adrianne Pieczonka

The gentlemen:

Jonas Kaufmann 4
    Plácido Domingo 3
    Simon Keenlyside 3
    Philippe Jaroussky 2
    Juan Diego Flórez 2
    René Pape 2
    Gerald Finley 2
    Ferruccio Furlanetto 2
    Piotr Beczala
    Jay Hunter Morris
    Luca Pisaroni
    Erwin Schrott
    Lawrence Brownlee
    Peter Mattei
    Klaus Florian Vogt
    Andreas Scholl
    Ian Bostridge
    Pavol Breslik
    Topi Lehtipuu
    Neil Schicoff
    Jose Bros
    Roberto Alagna
    Marius Kwiecien
    Mark Padmore
    Leo Nucci
    Dmitri Hvorostovsky
    Bryn Terfel
    Rolando Villazon

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a little short on favorite ladies, but here is what I have:

1. Waltraud Meier
    2. Renee Fleming
    3. Nina Stemme
    4. Susan Graham
    5. Joyce DiDonato
    6. Kristine Opolais
    7. Edita Gruberova
    8. Anna Netrebko

The Guys:

1. Jonas Kaufmann
    2. Klaus Florian Vogt
    3. Lawrence Brownlee
    4. Placido Domingo
    5. Idebrando D'Arcangelo
    6. Thomas Hampson
    7. Piotr Beczala
    8. Juan Diego Florez
    9. Peter Mattei
    10. Martti Talvela

Post Thanks / Like
    Updated Totals:

The ladies:

Joyce DiDonato 4
    Waltraud Meier 4
    Anna Caterina Antonacci 3
    Anna Netrebko 3
    Nina Stemme 3
    Renée Fleming 3
    Barbara Hannigan 3
    Romina Basso 2
    Diana Damrau 2
    Patricia Petibon 2
    Miah Persson 2
    Elina Garanca 2
    Kristine Opolais 2
    Susan Graham 2
    Edita Gruberova 2
    Eva-Maria Westbroek
    Daniella Barcellona
    Anja Harteros
    Angela Gheorghiu
    Mireille Delunsch
    Marie-Nicole Lemieux
    Emoke Barath
    Ann Hallenberg
    Adrianne Pieczonka

The gentlemen:

Jonas Kaufmann 5
    Plácido Domingo 4
    Simon Keenlyside 3
    Juan Diego Flórez 3
    Philippe Jaroussky 2
    René Pape 2
    Gerald Finley 2
    Ferruccio Furlanetto 2
    Piotr Beczala 2
    Lawrence Brownlee 2
    Peter Mattei 2
    Klaus Florian Vogt 2
    Jay Hunter Morris
    Luca Pisaroni
    Erwin Schrott
    Andreas Scholl
    Ian Bostridge
    Pavol Breslik
    Topi Lehtipuu
    Neil Schicoff
    Jose Bros
    Roberto Alagna
    Marius Kwiecien
    Mark Padmore
    Leo Nucci
    Dmitri Hvorostovsky
    Bryn Terfel
    Rolando Villazon
    Ildebrando D’Arcangelo
    Thomas Hampson
    Martti Talvela

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Martti Talvela isn't active anymore.

Junior Member Recent member Mascagnian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ladies:
    Renee Fleming
    Anna Netrebko
    Joyce DiDonato
    Simone Kermes
    Cecilia Bartoli
    Ewa Podles
    Vivica Genaux
    Anna Caterina Antonacci
    Patricia Petibon
    Angela Gheorgiu

Gentlemen:
    Jonas Kaufman
    Juan Diego Florez
    Marius Kwiecien
    Philippe Jaroussky
    Max Emanuel Cencic
    Simon Keenlyside
    Piotr Beczala
    Idebrando D'Arcangelo
    Iestyn Davies
    Dmitri Hvorostovsky
    Regards,
    Macgagnian

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Martti Talvela isn't active anymore.
    In this case, Hoffmann, please vote for another gentleman to replace him, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascagnian View Post
    Ladies:
    Renee Fleming
    Anna Netrebko
    Joyce DiDonato
    Simone Kermes
    Cecilia Bartoli
    Ewa Podles
    Vivica Genaux
    Anna Caterina Antonacci
    Patricia Petibon
    Angela Gheorgiu

Gentlemen:
    Jonas Kaufman
    Juan Diego Florez
    Marius Kwiecien
    Philippe Jaroussky
    Max Emanuel Cencic
    Simon Keenlyside
    Piotr Beczala
    Idebrando D'Arcangelo
    Iestyn Davies
    Dmitri Hvorostovsky
    Updated Totals:

The ladies:

Joyce DiDonato 5
    Renée Fleming 4
    Waltraud Meier 4
    Anna Netrebko 4
    Anna Caterina Antonacci 4
    Nina Stemme 3
    Patricia Petibon 3
    Barbara Hannigan 3
    Romina Basso 2
    Diana Damrau 2
    Miah Persson 2
    Elina Garanca 2
    Kristine Opolais 2
    Susan Graham 2
    Edita Gruberova 2
    Angela Gheorghiu 2
    Eva-Maria Westbroek
    Daniella Barcellona
    Anja Harteros
    Mireille Delunsch
    Marie-Nicole Lemieux
    Emoke Barath
    Ann Hallenberg
    Adrianne Pieczonka
    Simone Kermes
    Cecilia Bartoli
    Ewa Podles
    Vivica Genaux

The gentlemen:

Jonas Kaufmann 6
    Plácido Domingo 4
    Juan Diego Flórez 4
    Simon Keenlyside 4
    Philippe Jaroussky 3
    Piotr Beczala 3
    René Pape 2
    Gerald Finley 2
    Ferruccio Furlanetto 2
    Dmitri Hvorostovsky 2
    Lawrence Brownlee 2
    Peter Mattei 2
    Klaus Florian Vogt 2
    Marius Kwiecien 2
    Ildebrando D’Arcangelo 2
    Jay Hunter Morris
    Luca Pisaroni
    Erwin Schrott
    Andreas Scholl
    Ian Bostridge
    Pavol Breslik
    Topi Lehtipuu
    Neil Schicoff
    Jose Bros
    Roberto Alagna
    Max Emanuel Cencic
    Mark Padmore
    Leo Nucci
    Iestyn Davies
    Bryn Terfel
    Rolando Villazon
    Thomas Hampson

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ladies
    Anja Harteros
    Camilla Nylund
    Anna Netrebko
    Agnes Baltsa (yes, she's still active)
    Elina Garanca
    Patrizia Ciofi
    Angela Gheorgiu
    Genia Kühmeier
    Joyce Di Donato
    Waltraud Meier

Gentlemen
    Jonas Kaufmann
    Dietrich Henschel
    Stephen Milling
    Anthony Michaels-Moore
    Lawrence Brownlee
    Dmitri Hvorostovsky
    Bryn Terfel
    Klaus Florian Vogt
    Simon Keenlyside
    Thomas Hampson

16. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Updated Totals:

The ladies:

Joyce DiDonato 6
    Waltraud Meier 5
    Anna Netrebko 5
    Renée Fleming 4
    Anna Caterina Antonacci 4
    Nina Stemme 3
    Patricia Petibon 3
    Barbara Hannigan 3
    Angela Gheorghiu 3
    Elina Garanca 3
    Romina Basso 2
    Diana Damrau 2
    Miah Persson 2
    Kristine Opolais 2
    Anja Harteros 2
    Susan Graham 2
    Edita Gruberova 2
    Eva-Maria Westbroek
    Daniella Barcellona
    Mireille Delunsch
    Marie-Nicole Lemieux
    Emoke Barath
    Ann Hallenberg
    Adrianne Pieczonka
    Simone Kermes
    Cecilia Bartoli
    Ewa Podles
    Vivica Genaux
    Camila Nylund
    Agnes Baltsa
    Patricia Ciofi
    Genia Kühmeier

The gentlemen:

Jonas Kaufmann 7
    Simon Keenlyside 5
    Plácido Domingo 4
    Juan Diego Flórez 4
    Philippe Jaroussky 3
    Piotr Beczala 3
    Dmitri Hvorostovsky 3
    Klaus Florian Vogt 3
    Lawrence Brownlee 3
    René Pape 2
    Gerald Finley 2
    Ferruccio Furlanetto 2
    Bryn Terfel 2
    Thomas Hampson 2
    Peter Mattei 2
    Marius Kwiecien 2
    Ildebrando D’Arcangelo 2
    Jay Hunter Morris
    Luca Pisaroni
    Erwin Schrott
    Andreas Scholl
    Ian Bostridge
    Pavol Breslik
    Topi Lehtipuu
    Neil Schicoff
    Jose Bros
    Roberto Alagna
    Max Emanuel Cencic
    Mark Padmore
    Leo Nucci
    Iestyn Davies
    Rolando Villazon
    Dietrich Henschel
    Stephen Milling
    Anthony Michaels-Moor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast