Thread: What concert performance are you next going to?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What concert performance are you next going to?

A thread where you can share your excitement or let others know what's going on to get a piece of the action...

On a little walk, I just noticed a poster in a neighbours window and thought 'yes, I'm interested!'

Chiltern Chamber Choir

Palm Sunday 13th April at 8pm
    St Peterís Church, Berkhamsted

Rachmaninov Vespers
    Pergolesi Stabat Mater
    Durufle Messa cum Jubilo

Name:  Chiltern Chamber Choir, Berkhamsted 2014 Palm Sunday Concert.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  41.6 KB

Despite being a close neighbour (less than 7 minutes walk away) for over 13 years, I have never actually been inside St Peter's Church. Also I have been interested in hearing Pergolesi's Stabat Mater for a while now...

Name:  Berkhamsted Church of St Peter early 13C.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  52.0 KB

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  Church of St Peter's Berkhamsted, Nave.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  38.6 KB Name:  Church of St Peter's Berkhamsted, Chiltern Chamber Choir performance April 2014.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  45.2 KB
    Left, Picture of nave where performance took place. Pictures of icons were projected on the wall above during the performance,
    Right, Before the choir assembled

Name:  Church of St Peter's Berkhamsted, Chiltern Chamber Choir performance April 2014,.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  47.8 KB
    Short break between Durufle and Rachmaninov

That was a fun night out. I loved the Pergolesi and the Rachmaninov "Vespers", the wife enjoyed the Duruflť piece the most.

I had forgotten how really special it is to hear music in a church. Supersize architecture, cold stone and tiles but the sound is so organic. Sounds of woodland, spring flowers, green meadows and autumn fruits, absolutely delightful. Though Kate, one of the choristers and Tom, the curate, did point out to me afterwards that this was by design as a church.
    I thought the choir sung beautifully; they were dynamic, harmonic and passionate in their performance. I told Adrian Davis the conductor I thought the performance was wonderful and he modestly joked that I had something wrong with my ears and that I should have them checked!
    I don't think so. I and the two hundred odd other audience members had a thoroughly enjoyable evening of wonderful music and we will all be back for more with their future performances.

Name:  Church of St Peter's Berkhamsted, West facing window.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  36.2 KB
    Picture of west facing window. It has nothing to do with the performance but I thought it must look stunning during evening mass in the summer. Nice office Tom!

4. Likes MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This time, Adrian Davis leads the Bridgewater Sinfonia with Chiltern Chamber Choir for a performance of Haydn's Creation.

Name:  Bridgewater Sinfonia Haydn's Creation 21 June 2014.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  42.6 KB

This is another performance that I am very excited about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last week the archangel Raphael took me by the hand and took me on a journey back in time to the crea...

What the...?

On the Saturday last, I had a profound and moving exper...

Try again

The wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the concert by the Bridgewater Sinfonia with the Chiltern Chamber Choir. It was the first time I had heard the Creation (sung in English). I have the Andreas Spering recording Die SchŲpfung on the Naxos label which is superb and is on a very different level of funding and so might be unfair to make comparisons to.

However, it was the Adrian Davis production last week that will be the one that made the most impression and will be the version I will be remembering when I hear the music in the future. Perhaps it was a combination of live music, St Peters church and seeing all the musicians enjoying themselves whilst putting on a performance that was moving, beautiful and honestly respectful of Haydn's work.

From the start, the representation of chaos was deliberate and with impact; it was not just a prelude to a musical work but felt like the beginning. Then as by a freak of nature, light streamed from the west window (see picture in previous post) and bathed the orchestra in sunlight!

The tenor John-Colyn Gyeantey has a beautiful timbre, someone I would love to hear singing Rossini perhaps (something my wife noticed as well). Raphael, sung by Andrew Kidd, had a very pure and beautifully thin voice, it was almost as if the archangel really was taking us through this wonderful journey. The soprano was local Berkhamsted girl Kathryn Jenkin. It was not only her singing that made me smile but we must have been sitting near her family as she was often looking in our direction and smiling. Seeing the musicians and singers enjoying themselves just made the music all the more beautiful.

The choral pieces were all excellent with good balance and the orchestra performed sincerely all under the wonderful direction of Adrian Davis. The Creation presented on this evening was touching, exhilarating and delightful.

The wife and I are very much looking forward to future performances by both the Bridgewater Sinfonia and the Chiltern Chamber Choir.

Name:  Bridgewater Sinfonia with Chiltern Chamber Choir - June 21, 2014 - Haydn Creation.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  49.0 KB
    First violin (leader) Emily Davis, Adrian Davis, Tenor John-Colyn Gyeantey, Soprano Kathryn Jenkin, Bass Andrew Kidd

7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Hoffmann, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seasonal sacred works

Name:  Monteverdi Vespri solenni per la festa di San Marco, Concerto Italiano, Rinaldo Alessandrini 201.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  85.3 KB

I've been listening to Monteverdi Vespers of 1610

as I hope to attend a performance next Tuesday

Not the same production as the CD but at the local church of St Peter Berkhamsted with the Chiltern Chamber Choir and the Bridgewater Sinfonia.

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Free ticket, third-row seat, for tonight's Champaign-Urbana Symphony Orchestra performance of Mahler's 2nd Symphony, the "Resurrection," in the Foellinger Great Hall of the Krannert Center.

I'm psyched!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great concert last night! Even though we're not a major city, and CU Symphony is made up almost entirely of local musicians and University of Illinois students, they gave an amazing account of Mahler's epic masterpiece. Some beautiful playing, and with such a huge orchestra, the crescendos were breathtaking. The great choral climax at the end nearly tore the roof off.

One more reason to be happy about living in this town.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last night:

Beethoven Symphony No. 1 in C Major, Op. 21
    Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major, Op. 58
    Beethoven Symphony No. 9 in d minor, Op. 125

Budapest Festival Orchestra: IvŠn Fischer, conductor
    Richard Goode, piano
    UMS Choral Union
    Laura Aikin, soprano
    Kelley O’Connor, mezzo-soprano
    Robert Dean Smith, tenor
    Matthew Rose, bass

Hill Auditorium, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan

The highlight of course was the Ninth and it was wonderful. Every movement seemed to pass to quickly because it was so good. The audience was pretty well behaved, but felt it was free time for coughing between movement. Between every movement there was a loud din of coughing in the place. But it does ruin things because the pauses between movement are supposed to be just that, pauses, not noisy interludes. What I don't get is how these people could avoid coughing through 20 minutes of a movement and then just had to cough.

A fun part was watching the piano go below stage on a section of floor that slowly descended then came back up without the piano.

One cellist almost didn't make it because of the travel ban.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

13. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I invited by friend to join her Saturday afternoon for a piano recital by Igor Levit, a remarkable young pianist I was impressed by after a concert in Berlin last summer.

The program:

Shostakovich: from 24 Preludes and Fugues, Op. 87 (#10 in C-sharp Minor; #4 in E Minor; #12 in G-sharp Minor)

Frederic Rszewski: Dreams, Part II (5 Bells; 6 Fireflies; 7 Ruins; 8 Wake-Up)

Beethoven: Variations on a Waltz by Diabelli, Op. 120 (there are 33 parts, I won't list them)

Barbara has a double subscription to the Washington Performing Arts' Hayes Piano Series for herself and then invites a friend to join her, so I tend to join her for these recitals several times a year. I always enjoy them, but admit to not being particularly sophisticated about how one determines an especially good pianist from every day 'good'.

That said, Levit's playing style includes breathtaking pianissimos - he isn't flashy, is highly focused and hits the keys on the piano in such a way that even the slightest note caresses the auditiorium. The Shostakovich was rich in pianissimos and, I thought, was the highlight of the afternoon. Unfortunately, he hasn't yet recorded it.

The Rzewski (a contemporary American composer) also was wonderful. Each section was different, highlighting different emotions, sometimes light ("Fireflies") and other times dark. Levit spoke for 7 or 8 minutes to introduce the piece, so it wouldn't be too alarming for the audience. He was charming and spoke clearly about the piece, which I always appreciate (I guess it's hard to separate oneself from all those years watching Leonard Bernstein's Young Peoples' Concerts when I was a kid).

The Beethoven was a bit of a let down - I had never heard of this piece and it was at least a bit ponderous, taking up the whole second half of the program.

The afternoon, then, also was interesting since it is the first time I can recall where I enjoyed the contemporary pieces more than the traditional. What's up with that?

Name:  Igor Levit.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  9.1 KB

15. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just returned from Beethoven's Missa Solemnis tonight at Hill Auditorium on the campus of the University of Michigan. It was wonderful. All the soloists were very good, though I did not care as much for the tenor.

Erin Wall (soprano)
    Kelly O'Connor (mezzo-soprano)
    Matthew Plenk (tenor)
    Nathan Stark (bass)
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

17. Likes MAuer, Nemorino, Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann liked this post
    Junior Member Recent member leonora's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wigmore Hall. Christopher Maltman (baritone) and Malcolm Martineau (piano) . Wednesday 31 May

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds good. I wish I had noticed this earlier, I would have really liked to have gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    My violinist friend once again hooked me up with a cheap ticket--second row center--to the Champaign-Urbana Symphony. This Saturday night, at the Krannert Center, it's the Verdi Requiem. I've never heard the piece live--should be great!

Junior Member Newcomer florent blues's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    My violinist friend once again hooked me up with a cheap ticket--second row center--to the Champaign-Urbana Symphony. This Saturday night, at the Krannert Center, it's the Verdi Requiem. I've never heard the piece live--should be great!

I've been there! The place is incredible