Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Attachment 10857

My first opera of the new year. It's my personal tradition to start each year with a Verdi opera.

Ambrogio Maestri is a perfect Falstaff. The cutesy backstage interview supports this with evidence that he's a great cook and loves wine & women. And I like this production; I think updating to the 1950s works really well, and begets some colorful costuming. Judging by this and Rosenkavalier I don't think Robert Carsen is the *funniest* director, but he really gets the characters. I had a few good laughs, but felt there were at least a few missed opportunities for more. Then again, it might just be me, I sadly find I rarely rofl at opera comedies.
    I saw this at ROH the first time around. It was my first Falstaff and I had nothing to compare it with but I loved it. It's returning to ROH in July with Bryn Terfel as Vecchio John. I hope he's as good as Maestri.

Rupert the horse.

I love the way the handler says they needed an animal to "accommodate Falstaff" which was a diplomatic way of saying they needed a big strong horse to accommodate Maestri.
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); January 11th, 2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

2. Likes Nemorino, Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Attachment 10857

My first opera of the new year. It's my personal tradition to start each year with a Verdi opera.

Ambrogio Maestri is a perfect Falstaff. The cutesy backstage interview supports this with evidence that he's a great cook and loves wine & women. And I like this production; I think updating to the 1950s works really well, and begets some colorful costuming. Judging by this and Rosenkavalier I don't think Robert Carsen is the *funniest* director, but he really gets the characters. I had a few good laughs, but felt there were at least a few missed opportunities for more. Then again, it might just be me, I sadly find I rarely rofl at opera comedies.
    This production is a wonderful one as well. Falstaff surprised me a lot when I first watched it as I had gotten pessimistic on later Verdi after by initial disappointment with Aida. Fortunately Falstaff surprised me with its vitality and has a lot of Verdi's best melodic moments though it does resemble a very long tasting menu rather than a standard 3 courses (lots of lovely melodies but often very short leaving you wanting more)
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

4. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Nemorino liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    He has a lot of excellent risotto recipes on his YT channel. That glorious "pancia" is the result of many sticks of butter being added at the end of cooking.

There you go, it's the solution for your daughters. Opera and food. Maybe inspired by Maestri mom can watch some opera and do some cooking by the same token so that the poor girls can be fed more regularly than once a year like you just mentioned.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    There you go, it's the solution for your daughters. Opera and food. Maybe inspired by Maestri mom can watch some opera and do some cooking by the same token so that the poor girls can be fed more regularly than once a year like you just mentioned.
    The youngest's face if I try to serve up risotto:

Natalie

7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished the delightful L'elsir D'amore with Pavarotti and Battle, and now I have turned to more serious fare:

Verdi: I Vespri Siciliani
    I've listened to this opera twice before, but I don't know it very well so I look forward to the viewing

9. Likes Nemorino, MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Verdi: La Traviata
    Renee Fleming & Rolando Villazon

I just started this last night, turning it off right before bed before Sempre Libra. I LOVE Renee Fleming! I officially place her on the top of my female opera singer pantheon next to Beverly Sills Renee Fleming has been responsible for my enthusiasm for watching opera videos (rather than just listening to audio recordings). she has such a remarkable stage presence.

11. Likes Florestan, Nemorino liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    I just started this last night, turning it off right before bed before Sempre Libra. I LOVE Renee Fleming! I officially place her on the top of my female opera singer pantheon next to Beverly Sills Renee Fleming has been responsible for my enthusiasm for watching opera videos (rather than just listening to audio recordings). she has such a remarkable stage presence.
    Renee Fleming is AWESOME! My real first experience with Renee is Eugene Onegin on DVD and she and Hvorostovsky are both excellent on that video. Liked it so much I ordered the Musical Odyssey in St Petersburg DVD with the two of them.

Beverly Sills is AWESOME too! Love her Barber of Seville video--a shame it was never put on DVD. Shouldn't be too difficult as there are VHS copies out there.

I was just thinking the other day I would love to have her as Lady Harriet in Flotow's Martha. She would have been excellent in that role.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

13. Likes Sonata liked this post