Thread: What opera have you been watching lately?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    This Alma lady has quite a varied repertoire! And if she's that pretty, I'll have to check her out.
    You really don't want to do that!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    which makes everyone sound like a cross between a Cockney cleaning lady and René from 'Allo allo". I suppose I could get used to it but it was unnecessarily distracting. Alma, the singer playing Venus isn't wearing an awful lot.
    The cough cough assets cough cough should take priority over the accents. Buy buy buy.

Alma, the singer playing Salome gets naked and she's pretty.
    Buy buy buy.

--------

Hm... although... there is this trailer. I see real hounds, real pigeons... and no assets.

And... no need to buy. It's on YouTube.

Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); June 27th, 2014 at 05:43 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Ok, I'm curious about something. If singers tend to sign contracts some years in advance of a performance - in some cases, before a director has been hired, what do they do when their given director tells them they have to get naked on stage? It seems to me that would not be many singers' preference.
    I'm guessing the singers could refuse, or insist upon wearing flesh-colored body suits. According to one soprano, those suits "show everything and show nothing," so that the singer appears naked, but in actuality isn't.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post

Alma, the singer playing Venus isn't wearing an awful lot.

Alma, the singer playing Salome gets naked and she's pretty.
    Don't encourage him!!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

5. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well that was annoying. I bought this and watched it:

It was kind of OK for a provincial house - rather elderly and plain middle-of-the-range singers, a ho-hum production, but worth it, I thought, for a rarity, and I did enjoy the music.

So the next night I idly take a squiz at Arte Concert on line, and blow me down if there is not a rather nice production of La Wally with attractive Ainhoa Arteta and gorgeous Yonghoon Lee, who admittedly doesn't do subtle or nuanced, but has a lovely ringing tenor voice. So if you want to see what is beyond the Diva aria, catch it while you can.

Natalie

7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a nice La Wally but they have French subtitles........the lovely Ainhoa Arteta stars in another opera video I own

9. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My chronological Tutti Verdi continues with Macbeth but I'm listening rather than watching. That's my excuse anyway for jumping ahead a few years to watch Un ballo in maschera.

Re-visiting this version which I didn't like when I first got it but now absolutely loving Marcelo Álvarez.

Still don't care for Marco Vratogna but the rest of the cast is super.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

11. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is visually utterly gorgeous. Pertusi makes it more about Athanael than Thais. Recommended.

Bought this for Camarena but ended up enjoying Malin Hartelius' performance the most - oh, and Martina Jankova as Despina. Way to be funny without hamming it up too much. I'm not clear why Fiordiligi mistakenly drinks the poison and dies at the end, unless it is to symbolise that if you muck around with people's lives and emotions it's bound to end in tears.

Better in the original German. Glad I got it dirt cheap.

However I must give a shout-out to Mlle Magali Léger who can sing AND do an incredibly vigorous and professional can-can, as well as being super-cute:

Natalie

13. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer, Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    However I must give a shout-out to Mlle Magali Léger who can sing AND do an incredibly vigorous and professional can-can, as well as being super-cute:

Magali also does very well in this great video as Blondie......also has Malin Hartelius

15. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PL Pizzi uses many interesting dance sequences, the "meditation" sequence where Thais lays on beautiful lush bed of roses and then mentally struggles and finally converts to austere life as religious pilgrim, the rose petals drop off her bed becoming painful bed of thorns (like Christ crown of thorns).......that is a great scence!

Plus the virtuoso free form dance movements by suspended dancer above, brilliant visuals!

17. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have this Cosi also, very good overall but the ending is a puzzling plot twist........

19. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to a concert performance of Tristan und Isolde with the Auckland Phiharmonic Orchestra on Saturday night.

Eckehard Stier CONDUCTOR
    Lars Cleveman TRISTAN
    Annalena Persson ISOLDE
    Rúni Brattaberg MARKE
    Daveda Karanas BRANGÄNE
    Bo Skovhus KURWENAL
    Marco Stella MELOT

The orchestra played their hearts out. bringing out rich textures and lush phrases, the singers acted as well as sang, Bo Skovhus sounded a LOT better than I had expected and Daveda Karanas is one to watch out for, what a gorgeous voice combined with great power.

And this was what has now made me fall in love with the opera - before I though it was OK but over long and rather morbid, and now I've finally got it and want every note and can't stop listening to it - it's fine if it's not actually playing because great waves of it are surging through my brain. But I'm also rewatching this, Stemme is a great Isolde and Gambill has a lovely voice if sometimes rather unsteady, and Rene Pape brought out King Marke's sadness and betrayal extremely eloquently; and Lehnoff's abstract set brings out the mystical and metaphysical element very effectively.

Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; July 22nd, 2014 at 03:40 AM.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you've found so much more in this work. I have the Lehnhoff production as well, and while I've never been completely sold on it--still have a hard time getting past Gambil's shortcomings--it's well worth adding to a collection.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The recording of Ariadne auf Naxos I ordered eons ago finally arrived. Of course, Kaufmann is a fabulous Bacchus who not only sounds but also looks like the handsome young god he's supposed to be. I was also very impressed by Elena Mosuc's Zerbinetta, who tossed off dizzying coloratura as though there were nothing to it. Magee is a fine Ariadne. I can recommend this performance, but with that caveat that it's the original version of this opera, so that the Composer (and other roles) are portrayed by actors rather than singers.

23. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like I have to start to seriously consider getting DVD machine capacity - I received this as a birthday gift, in anticipation of its performance by WNO next season:

Name:  DialoguesCarmelitesDVD.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  18.6 KB