Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Guilty Pleasure Confessions

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guilty Pleasure Confessions

I was going to post this thread under "General Operatic Discussions" but even though I'm thinking about music, decided the category could lend itself to just about anything ...

What prompted this is the worst of the worst, and I've felt so guilty about it the past several weeks, I can't live with the shame any longer.

While channel surfing one night, I came across the film version of "The Music Man" (the original from 1962) and, never having seen it, decided to see what it was about. I was thoroughly and completely charmed. Robert Preston was brilliant, and Shirley Jones had a beautiful (if small) voice and was delightful. Very easy to like, I thought, and verrrry American.

Ok, I could live with that. Just one little slip-up. Couldn't hurt.

Wellll. A week ago, for some reason, I turned to Turner Classic Movie Channel, which was doing their "essentials", only to find they were about to broadcast the film version of "My Fair Lady" (no commercials). You know - with Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison (1964). I recalled seeing it when I was in junior high school, and probably once or twice since then.

Also delightful, though the real scene-stealer was Stanley Holloway as Eliza's father. And, the art direction by Cecil Beaton.

So help me, I didn't mean it. It just happened. Really. I've sworn off musicals, I promise.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The great Hollywood musical of 1940-70 where we actually have real singing and dancing of the lead actors is a lost artform, I supect that 100 years from now they will be even more treasured as we have computers make all our movies......

Even earlier before WW II there were these massive mega productions by Busby Berkely that don't really have good plot, but just exercises in how visually excessive and complicated can you make the productions with hundreds of people on stage at once, I find these interesting even if I would not ever watch one......

Speaking of Audrey Hepburn and My Fair Lady......
    I am huge fan of hers and have seen all her great movies many times, what a classy lady spending her last years personally helping staving children of Africa etc, a true Hollywood legend and role model

Callas was also fan of Audrey and her weight loss and fashion sense were influenced by the Hepburn I have heard

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a huge fan of musicals myself, but there's no shame in being one. Just another form of musical theatre, closely related to operetta. And since composers like Gershwin, Bernstein, and Sondheim straddled the divide between musical and opera, we don't have to be too rigid about the distinctions.

For me, among the highlights of film musicals are the great Astaire/Rogers dance numbers. Truly transcendent.

Last edited by Amfortas; June 8th, 2014 at 05:38 PM.

4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    ...the category could lend itself to just about anything ...
    Happy cow

I am a cow, well almost.
    I was born in May making my star sign Taurus.
    I was also born in the year of the bull.
    I came in to this world when my parents were living in Manitoba, for which the coat of arms for the province is a bison.
    My first job was counting bone china, which is made using the bone of cattle.
    Even my wife says I talk a lot of “bull”.

(Okay, so maybe this only works in my mind.)

I do love beef though. Maybe fairly typically though, I found that as I hit my thirties my consumption dropped drastically. Now I eat beef once in about six to eight days. I am not sure exactly why, I still enjoy eating beef but it just fits less in to the diet.

Cheeseburgers manage to combine beef with one of those other food loves of mine. I maybe eat an unhealthy amount of cheese (still continuing). Though again due to reduction in consumption, cheeseburgers are once a quarter. I have memories, though, that I occasionally dine on.

In no particular order

Wolfe’s classic burger (restaurant behind Harrods late eighties/early nineties)
    Virgin lounge LHR terminal three, opening month (2005/6?)
    Royal Automobile Club, Pall Mall, 2006

None of these I would recommend unless you are strong at time travel; I went to Wolfe’s when it moved to Covent Garden and thought it terrible and Virgin, although great at innovation is terrible at maintenance. I have not been back to the RAC club since.

Now, a new one has been added to my list. One of many things I wanted to eat in New York was an “American Cheeseburger”. I found one at a restaurant called Schnippers. Apparently a couple of successful New York restaurateurs who are starting their new venture of a typical New York burger joint after starting a chain of soup kitchens.
    A simple cheeseburger on a brioche with American cheddar, lettuce, red onion and gherkin made to order after paying at the till (USD 6.49), that is brought to your booth (just like on the picture box).

It was soooo good, I ate it twice.

P.S. Fries were too salty and macaroni cheese was a bit like wall paper paste.

6. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen a Busby Berkely film since, well, probably since TV stations stopped broadcasting 1930s films sometime in the 1960s. Thanks, also for that Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers clip - they were fabulous!

I should have known there was a Maria Callas - Audrey Hepburn connection! Both are legends for good reasons.

Post Thanks / Like
    A simple cheeseburger on a brioche with American cheddar, lettuce, red onion and gherkin made to order after paying at the till (USD 6.49), that is brought to your booth (just like on the picture box).
    There is nothing like a good, old-fashioned American cheeseburger. Nothing guilty about that.
    Well, maybe the eating it twice part ...

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My guilty pleasure confession is watching the silly show "True Blood" on TV. Well, the women are hot.
    I do watch "Game of Thrones" as well but that one isn't silly.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love Star Trek, although it must be said I haven't watched it for years. Next Generation is my favourite.

My favourite authors for relaxation are Terry Pratchett and Janet Evanovich. Both make me laugh for completely different reasons. Discworld novels are such a wonderful way of looking at the vagaries of our own world. My favourite characters are Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Sam Vines.

I have a weakness for cheese. Particularly rather smelly French cheese. My family makes me seal it in a box sealed in another box inside the fridge.
    Natalie

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    My favourite authors for relaxation are Terry Pratchett...
    A little man with spectacles and a box around the neck that had a little imp inside that would draw pictures...

I have a weakness for cheese. Particularly rather smelly French cheese. My family makes me seal it in a box sealed in another box inside the fridge.
    Pont l'Eveque and Munster... even if I do double wrap, the wife will put it in to another plastic bag!

13. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Pont l'Eveque and Munster... even if I do double wrap, the wife will put it in to another plastic bag!
    Definitely, and Epoisses.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely, and Epoisses.
    I can't remember if I've had Epoisses. Wednesday is cheese day for Berkhamsted; I shall ask Monsieur fromage if he has some.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love Star Trek, although it must be said I haven't watched it for years. Next Generation is my favourite.
    And me. The writing was superb. One of my favourites was The Measure of a Man.

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

17. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I avidly consume practically every type of reality television there is. From Keeping Up with the Kardashians to Naked and Afraid.

Edit: I don't really feel guilty, though. Okay, just a little when I watch Long Island Medium.

19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now this is a guilty confession: I recently bought a new TV for my bedroom so I could watch One Born Every Minute without ever leaving bed.

Post Thanks / Like
    The cheese confessions reminds me of a story about my Dad. Unfortunately, he's not around to make the confession, so I'll do it for him.

When I was in my teens, there was a soft cheese on the U.S. market called Liederkranz - it came wrapped in foil in a small box, and was sort of a Limburger that got very smelly very fast. One of Dad's favorite things was to buy some Liederkranz, take it out of the box and put it in a jar, then in the cupboard (not the refrigerator) for a few days. Then, after it had really ripened at room temp, he would use it to make a sandwich with sliced onions on rye or pumpernickel bread. Ok, if enjoyed in private (I guess).

One Saturday, though, while we were in the car on the way to a ski resort (a several hour drive to Vermont in those days), he decided to eat his little masterpiece in the car (with the heat on and windows closed). With the Saturday Met opera broadcast on the radio. All my Mom could say was "Oh, George. For God's sake, not in the car!" I thought I was going to die, and my sisters got carsick. I still somehow turned into an opera nut - not sure how that happened.

22. Likes Sonata, Alan, Soave_Fanciulla, Amfortas, Festat liked this post
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast