Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Anna Netrebko News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So cute!

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In this clip from the 2016 ECHO Klassik awards ceremony in Berlin last Sunday, La Bellissima sings Turandot’s “In questa reggia.” (She received the award for Female Singer of the Year.) She really is phenomenal – pity Jonas Kaufmann (who received the award for the year’s best seller with his Puccini album) is still recovering from the burst blood vessel in his larynx and couldn’t sing Calaf’s lines. She expresses her thanks for the award in very charming German and also recognizes her team.
    Even if she isn’t ready to sing Turandot in a staged production yet, I would think a studio recording may be possible – with JK’s Calaf, of course!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    [video=youtube;FgdIyucBk7w].
    Even if she isn’t ready to sing Turandot in a staged production yet, I would think a studio recording may be possible – with JK’s Calaf, of course!
    Swooning about this thought. Can we have the alternative Berio ending?
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

5. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    (From the interview above), I find this interesting.

RG: Why do you sometimes withdraw from performances which have already been announced, such as Faust by Gounod or Norma by Bellini?
    AN: As a rule, I sign contracts several years before the event. At that moment, it seems to me that I'll enjoy this or that part, which I have not yet sung, after two or three years, I will learn it with pleasure. But the time comes, and I realize that I do not like the part. So, despite all my desire, neither Margarita nor especially Norma fit me.

I did not even once listen to it to the end. I don't like it. But I really did not want to let down Covent Garden or break my contract with the Metropolitan. It was a very difficult decision, but I accepted it. Honestly, in this, I was greatly helped by the director, from the moment when I saw his concept. It was the last straw, and I refused.

Does the answer in (my) bold refer to Norma? If so she cancelled because she didn't like the concept!

-----

Interesting also that she appears to contradict herself. Or maybe the translation isn't accurate.

RG: Has the fact that you have dramatically changed your role, having gone from a light, almost soubrette repertoire to the most dramatic roles, changed your character?
    AN: No. In general, I became calmer, childishness with antics and mimicry has gone. I am already 45 years old, how much can you? I'm tired of acting, of representing all what I am not anymore. I find it much more comforting and interesting to work with big, serious characters.

RG: With your real fame as diva assoluta, when your participation turns any opera into a hit, do you have your sights set on the Russian repertoire?
    AN: I have suffered a lot with Tatiana in Eugene Onegin, until I could love her. By my nature, I was and still am her direct opposite. But I have an aspiration to perform in The Queen of Spades. I like Liza, although I'm not sure that my voice will fit her. But it is a part that is interesting to me, even though it is not most important in the opera, and not particularly winning. I should work a lot at it as well. But, I think, slowly, things can happen. I'm an actress, I can transform myself, erasing my own personality.

7. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post

Interesting also that she appears to contradict herself. Or maybe the translation isn't accurate.

RG: Has the fact that you have dramatically changed your role, having gone from a light, almost soubrette repertoire to the most dramatic roles, changed your character?
    AN: No. In general, I became calmer, childishness with antics and mimicry has gone. I am already 45 years old, how much can you? I'm tired of acting, of representing all what I am not anymore. I find it much more comforting and interesting to work with big, serious characters.

RG: With your real fame as diva assoluta, when your participation turns any opera into a hit, do you have your sights set on the Russian repertoire?
    AN: I have suffered a lot with Tatiana in Eugene Onegin, until I could love her. By my nature, I was and still am her direct opposite. But I have an aspiration to perform in The Queen of Spades. I like Liza, although I'm not sure that my voice will fit her. But it is a part that is interesting to me, even though it is not most important in the opera, and not particularly winning. I should work a lot at it as well. But, I think, slowly, things can happen. I'm an actress, I can transform myself, erasing my own personality.
    I don't think she is contradicting herself. She is saying that she is *tired* of doing it (first statement), but obviously as we've seen so many times, she *can* do it (second statement). Anna is a very talented actress. It doesn't mean she needs to enjoy it every time, when the character she is acting is too different than her own self. So she is tired of doing very incompatible characters or characters that fit more the younger and bubblier woman she once was, but it is not like she can't do it. When necessary, she can transform herself, which she has done over and over.

Analogy: after 36 years of psychiatric practice, I'm tired of certain tasks required by my job. But when I need to do those tasks, I *can* do them rather well (with experience, actually better than when I was younger), even if I no longer enjoy them.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); November 19th, 2016 at 11:37 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I don't think she is contradicting herself. She is saying that she is *tired* of doing it (first statement), but obviously as we've seen so many times, she *can* do it (second statement). Anna is a very talented actress. It doesn't mean she needs to enjoy it every time, when the character she is acting is too different than her own self. So she is tired of doing very incompatible characters or characters that fit more the younger and bubblier woman she once was, but it is not like she can't do it. When necessary, she can transform herself, which she has done over and over.

Analogy: after 36 years of psychiatric practice, I'm tired of certain tasks required by my job. But when I need to do those tasks, I *can* do them rather well (with experience, actually better than when I was younger), even if I no longer enjoy them.
    Thank you. Yes I can see what she means now.

11. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hats off to Ms. Netrebko for her sensible attitude toward her weight. Even if she has a few extra pounds, she's not obese -- and I think that's an important distinction. Obesity is a serious health problem, and while some may complain that Debbie Voigt's bariatric surgery changed her voice (not for the better), it also may have added years to her life.
    On a separate note, I wonder how Erwin Schrott will feel about Anna's reference to finally having a real man (i.e., Yusif) in the home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    ... I wonder how Erwin Schrott will feel about Anna's reference to finally having a real man (i.e., Yusif) in the home.
    I thought that was bad form. Even if she thinks it, she shouldn't publicly denigrate her son's father.
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); November 21st, 2016 at 05:18 PM.

14. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I thought that was bad form. Even if she thinks it, she shouldn't publicly denigrate her son's father.
    True. A rare occasion when Anna said something distasteful. She must be still resentful towards Erwin.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

17. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    La Bellissima has been awarded the title of Austrian Kammersängerin.
    http://annanetrebko.com/en/2017/02/1...ammersangerin/

19. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13