Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Anna Netrebko News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post

No! No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!

I would be very upset.

"After much consideration and intensive preparation, I have come to the conclusion that the role is not right for me." This is not a good reason to cancel a performance she agreed to do. This is not professional.
    I would have thought a singer would know what is and isn't suitable for them before they sign on the dotted line. 4 week's notice isn't much to give the ROH.

I see though that there is this geezer called Simon Keenlyside in the cast. If memory serves me right, you like him a bit. So not a total loss for you.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention Joseph Calleja.

But still, it's a bummer. I suppose she had tried out a couple of arias, thought she could do it, and then realised once she got to intensive study that she couldn't (not to mention that she is also learning Lady Macbeth and Manon Lescaut). If she had gone ahead and failed she would also get criticised.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Not to mention Joseph Calleja.

But still, it's a bummer. I suppose she had tried out a couple of arias, thought she could do it, and then realised once she got to intensive study that she couldn't (not to mention that she is also learning Lady Macbeth and Manon Lescaut). If she had gone ahead and failed she would also get criticised.
    This is true.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    ...4 week's notice isn't much to give...
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I
    ... suppose she had tried out a couple of arias, thought she could do it, and then realised once she got to intensive study that she couldn't (not to mention that she is also learning Lady Macbeth and Manon Lescaut). If she had gone ahead and failed she would also get criticised.
    Anna, take the two and if you have capacity, then add a third. Your fans are in the money then. You promise three then, take away one, your fans lose.

It might be difficult to schedule in a third but not half as difficult as the cannon ball of a schedule change for the tens of thousands of fans you just cancelled on.

The contract is with the fans.

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a tough situation. A number of leading international singers have complained about being required to commit to roles five or even six years in advance at the major houses, when there's no way to predict how their voices will develop in the interim. But I can also sympathize with the many disappointed fans who have gone to considerable trouble (and expense) to secure tickets to her performances, not to mention travel and lodging arrangements for those coming from out of town.

8. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    This is a tough situation. A number of leading international singers have complained about being required to commit to roles five or even six years in advance at the major houses...
    Gosh! I had not considered that.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a tough situation. A number of leading international singers have complained about being required to commit to roles five or even six years in advance at the major houses, when there's no way to predict how their voices will develop in the interim.
    I'm sure you're right and I'm sure she really wanted to sing this role when she signed the contracts.

But I can also sympathize with the many disappointed fans who have gone to considerable trouble (and expense) to secure tickets to her performances, not to mention travel and lodging arrangements for those coming from out of town.
    I wonder if the houses concerned knew and didn't let on so they could charge top whack for the tickets.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I'm sure you're right and I'm sure she really wanted to sing this role when she signed the contracts.

I wonder if the houses concerned knew and didn't let on so they could charge top whack for the tickets.
    Either way, customer is King (or Queen) and between the Opera House and the singer(s), they have failed the fan.

12. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Junior Member Recent member manon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Anna and Riccardo

A match made in heaven, Netrebko and Muti.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/04/ar...ome-opera.html

14. Thanks Clayton thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    - from "We hear that..." section of April Opera magazine

Anna Netrebko will sing her first staged Giovanna D'Arco at La Scala in 2015, with Francesco Meli as Carlo

16. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes amazing voice of Anna, she stops you in your tracks

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo_Millar View Post
    Yes amazing voice of Anna, she stops you in your tracks
    Welcome to Opera Lively; it's good to have another fan of La Bellissima here!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is not news but I am treating this thread as an "Anna" thread.

I would advise any Anna fan to check the recording of the 2010 Baden-Baden concert on the spotfly or whatever free streaming function.

Pergolesi: Stabat Mater (Standard edition)
    Pergolesi:
    Nel chiuso centro - chamber cantata
    Anna Netrebko (soprano)
    La conversion e morte di San Guglielmo duca d'Aquitania: Sinfonia to the sacred drama
    Questo il piano
    Marianna Pizzolato (contralto)
    Stabat Mater
    Anna Netrebko (soprano) & Marianna Pizzolato (contralto)
    Orchestra dell’ Accademia di Santa Cecilia, Antonio Pappano

Name:  Stabat mater - Antonio Pappano 2010, Anna Netrebko, Marianna Pizzolato, Orchestra dell'accademia.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  37.9 KB

I have no idea yet what the difference is between the standard release and the "prestige" release is (I only discovered the existence of that today) but probably I will also buy the prestige version, keep it sealed in the cellophane and treasure it in the drawer of my bedside table.

The sound is wishy-washy. It is recorded live but I do not know why this noise happens. I can only hear it on the Sennheisers (I need this music fed as directly as I can to the soul) and not through Marantz amp/Q speakers.

Despite this the music is glorious. I am no expert with Pergolesi, I only heard Stabat Mater for the first time earlier this year with the local church choir. Though I have heard it since with a number of interpretations but this recording is truly special with Pappano's beautiful but dramatic sympathy, the excellence of the Santa Cecilia Academy and of course Netrebko and Pizzolato.

The combination of the two have warmth, dramatic impact and magnificence that rises above just a performance and really engages an emotional experience that has surprised me so that I have listened, heard and participated in this recording tens of times since the purchase more recent than a couple of months ago.

I hasten to add that I have not listened to many of Anna's performances but her performance here is truly beautiful, absolutely stunning.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hasten to add that I have not listened to many of Anna's performances but her performance here is truly beautiful, absolutely stunning.
    That's what she usually does, hehehe.
    And yes, I have the above CD and it is very good - cheap on Amazon at $12.99 [clicky]
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast