Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Anna Netrebko News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anna Netrebko News

Anna's Anna has arrived!

Where are those jumping, big-hearted, in-love emoticons when we need them? I knew I had to work on more smileys for the site! PS - now we have them:

Anna Netrebko La Bellissima's Anna Bolena blu-ray has arrived in the mail!

OK, folks, I had stuff to work on, for the site.

But a new Anna blu-ray takes priority!

The construction of the web site will be delayed by 194 minutes, because I gotta watch this! Now!!!

See you in 3 hours, or see you tomorrow (I'll be in the clouds for a while).
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 3rd, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Where are those jumping, big-hearted, in-love emoticons when we need them? I knew I had to work on more smileys for the site!

Anna Netrebko La Bellissima's Anna Bolena blu-ray has arrived in the mail!

OK, folks, I had stuff to work on, for the site.

But a new Anna blu-ray takes priority!

The construction of the web site will be delayed by 194 minutes, because I gotta watch this! Now!!!

See you in 3 hours, or see you tomorrow (I'll be in the clouds for a while).
    Not sure we need to further feed the Netrebko love affair inside you, but this is quite an extraordinary performance by Anna captured on a beautiful blu ray release.........I was very impressed recently watching this

This is thankfully a tremendous success, magnificent Netrebko tour de force performance with Garanca not far behind.

Stage production was minimalist but effective and emotionally evokotive with dazzling spectacular costume design fully detailed on a beautiful rich blu ray release.........do not even think of DVD since blu ray actually cheaper and far superior in all respects, this gets the very highest recommendation if you have any interest in bel canto singing.

Opening scence with King - D'Arcangelo and Lady Seymour - Garanca shows clandestine love affair that will mean downfall of many lives, already Seymour is wary and wants to end it but cannot pull away from her passionate desires. Garanca is beautiful both phyically and vocally so passionately painting the dreadful apprehension filling her soul, a great actress and skillful singer

On to the royal court proper and entrance of Queen Bolena - Netrebko, she senses danger ahead and summons young page Smeaton to sing a joyful song to put her mind at ease, Smeaton secretly has a crush on the queen and soon the naive page will be duped by king sealling the execution of the queen. Netrebko has just the right touch here and duets with Garanca her most trusted court lady only further emphasize the cruel treachery that will soon unfold. Seymour later again pleads with king to end affair but he says soon she will not have any reason to be concerned and she will soon be new queen

Skip ahead Queens former lover (perhaps even husband hinted at) Percy re-enters her life putting further doubts in queens mind, a scuffle between Percy and Smeaton in queens bed chambers witnessed by king springs the trap and downfall of Anna Bolena, Percy later further infuriates the king declaring his undying love for the queen sealing the fate of all

Now a really great dramatic scence
    Lady Seymour overcome with guilt over her part in betraying innocent Anna Bolena, comes to beg pardon before the queens execution. Great singing in this scence Netrebko vocally soars initially in vengeful fury and later with resigned compassion and forgiveness, Garanca beside herself with remorse and begs forgiveness from her former friend.....music beautifully supports the singing on stage, such powerful emotions on display.....magnificent opera here

On to the mad scence
    With execution before her the queen becomes delerious, very clever use of child on stage symbolizing Bolena's happy youth before life at royal court, she laments about happy days at home with green fields by quiet river, the crown of the queen had become a crown of thorns and she would trade it all to recapture one day of her carefree youth. The death scence nicely handled with Netrebko on floor partially entangled in red cloth at peace forgiving those who betrayed her, slow fade out lights......Netrebko extremely impressive here with powerful nuanced bel canto technique, a heart breaking rendition that touched all present

Jusy a couple comments about the superb visual quality of blu ray release, every fine detail of the ornate costumes stood out most using shiny shimmering fabrics that glistened differently depending how light hit them, the jewelry and crowns were always fascinating to observe, the staging was minimalist but costumes must have cost a bloody fortune.....some royal court scences had 30+ people all in eloborate expensive costumes

Just to wrap up Percy was not really played to the same level as the stars above, needed to be a bit more heroic and swashbuckling personality to stand up to the king, I would ideally recast that part with someone like Kweicien (doctor from recent Netrebko Don Pasquale) who works well with Netrebko, there is always something to be improved upon in a large production.....overall a great success for me.

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    So long since it's been avaiable. It would took you two days - at most - to fly to some part of the world where it was in shops earlier and get it right after world premiere. But you're not a real fan, are you? I'm very disappointed with you, Don Ottavio, very disappointed. I'm calling her management right now to tell them about your outrageous tardiness and I'm sure they won't let you kiss her anymore.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh darn, please don't do it, Aramis, there are attenuating circumstances! I was busy trying to create a web site!

And you know what happened yesterday? I fell asleep before even unwrapping the blu-ray (I've been exhausted with this stuff, you guys can't imagine how much there is to be done for the construction). So I haven't even seen it yet. First time in my life that I *don't* watch a Netrebko product within 6 hours of it getting to me.

Please, pretty please, don't tell her! I promise that I'll watch it tonight. [Alma cries, desperately]

@DA: nice passionate review, great expressiveness! This is a very unusual format for a review, and you nailed it buddy, it was a pleasure to read! (Especially because you praised so much a certain Russian girl who is very dear to me...)
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 21st, 2011 at 01:49 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post

On to the mad scence
    With execution before her the queen becomes delerious, very clever use of child on stage symbolizing Bolena's happy youth before life at royal court . . .
    I actually took this child to be Anne's daughter, the future Elizabeth I.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Perhaps you can see it that way, but I don't recall any mention of any child/daughter earlier in the opera, plus this occurs during a mad scence when things are made up or fantasized.

Before the child is brought in Bolena imagines it is her wedding day to king, and then goes back to her happy childhood memories before the royal court......that is why I thought the child was just a symbolic image of Bolena's happy youth

If the director really intended that a be a real child or daughter......then I take back what I said about that being a clever touch

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    On to the mad scence
    With execution before her the queen becomes delerious, very clever use of child on stage symbolizing Bolena's happy youth before life at royal court . . .
    I haven't seen the DVD yet, but are the two choices mutually exclusive? Perhaps Anne's own daughter could symbolize for her the lost, carefree days of childhood (and also provide an ironic foreshadowing of the careworn days the future Elizabeth I would herself come to know).

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was what I figured also. Didn't the child have red hair?

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the summary. Definitely to buy then!

Post Thanks / Like
    There's definitely a mention during the first scene that the child is her daughter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    There's definitely a mention during the first scene that the child is her daughter.
    I watched the mad scence again and listened/watched very carefully I heard no mention of child or daughter........

I am even more convinced that this is a symbolic figure, when Bolena is sitting next to child figure during mad scence she refers to the child as Percy her love from earlier time (fantasizing from delerium of mad scence) so the child represents memories of her former happy life.......

Also I had forgotten when Bolena is executed in final scence with draped red cloth the erie child figure comes alone and stands without emotion right over her dead body.......a phantom of past life of Bolena (not something a real child would do)

Post Thanks / Like
    I meant the live performance I saw at the Met. Maybe this one omitted this part. I haven't seen it yet [Alma looks right and left, hopes that Aramis is distracted]

Senior Member Involved Member AnaMendoza's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched the Vienna Bolena on YouTube and took for granted that the child was Elizabeth I. Now that you got me to think about it, I'm still convinced that she was.

However, the child in the Met is more of a physical child--red-haired, and carried around by Anna. The girl in the Vienna production does seem more stylized, symbolic, but, still Elizabeth. One point is: her clothes. There's a reason they refer to an "Elizabethan ruff". The child is wearing clothes of a later era than Anna, and I think that's a deliberate anachronism. (I realize that the Vienna production didn't take as much care with historical accuracy in costumes as the Met production did, but I think my point still is valid.) As for the child standing over Anna at the opera's end, again I think that's symbolic. Anna, after all, triumphs in a way. Her child becomes one of the greatest English monarchs of all time. Her rival's child is sickly and dies young. So, I agree that that the child is a phantom, (they didn't bring a small child to her mother's execution), but she's a phantom from the future--dressed in clothes that'll remind us of portraits of Elizabeth in her regal prime.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ It's posts like this that make me hope we get a "like" button someday.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    ^^^ It's posts like this that make me hope we get a "like" button someday.
    yes honestly Alma stop gawping at Anna's cleavage and get on with it. We haven't got all month!

(Nat runs for cover from small nuclear devices loaded with whale-sharks)
    Natalie

16. Likes CountessAdele liked this post
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast