Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: The A to Z of opera; the unofficial OL community guide to opera

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ildebrando d'Arcangelo

Alidoro

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

2. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer, Clayton, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A is for Accompagnato

or more fully recitativo accompagnato. It is the bits where there is talking accompanied by music.

Name:  blah blah blah.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  28.9 KB

It is a bit different to some perceptions of opera when first encountered but the talking is a bit more than just the "Hi honey, I'm just on the train on the way home now..." kind of talking. It is "recitative" where the text is a generally more poetic and recited in a more artistic or expressive way and the music that accompanies can enhance this expression.
    Also it can sort of shift the story along (especially when otherwise it takes Fred six and a half minutes to say "I love you" in the following aria)...

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A nod to contemporary opera

A is for (John) Adams, great American contemporary opera composer who wrote Nixon in China, Doctor Atomic and The Death of Klinghoffer.
    A is for (Thomas) Ądes, great British contemporary opera composer who wrote The Tempest and Powder Her Face.
    A is for (Dominick) Argento, great Italian-American contemporary opera composer who wrote Postcard from Morocco and The Aspern Papers.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

5. Likes Amfortas, Clayton, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    A nod to contemporary opera

A is for (John) Adams, great American contemporary opera composer who wrote Nixon in China, Doctor Atomic and The Death of Klinghoffer.
    A is for (Thomas) Ądes, great British contemporary opera composer who wrote The Tempest and Powder Her Face.
    A is for (Dominick) Argento, great Italian-American contemporary opera composer who wrote Postcard from Morocco and The Aspern Papers.
    Let's also add contemporary American composer Mark Adamo, who wrote the very popular "Little Women" based on the novel by Louisa May Alcott. His "Gospel of Mary Magdalene" premiered recently.
    Natalie

7. Likes Clayton, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Let's also add contemporary American composer Mark Adamo, who wrote the very popular "Little Women" based on the novel by Louisa May Alcott. His "Gospel of Mary Magdalene" premiered recently.
    True!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A is for Alberich, the Nibelung in Richard Wagner's tetralogy Der Ring des Nibelungen. He appears in three of the four operas, and after renouncing love, forges the Ring that is (temporarily) swiped by the chief god Wotan to pay off a pair of giant brothers for a certain construction project. Alberich puts a curse on the Ring, which pretty much gets the ball rolling for the events in the following three operas.
    Here's the Nibelung cursing his ring:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    He appears in three of the four operas
    Not only that, but he's the freaking title role, which not many realize or acknowledge. He's also the only survivor at the end when there is all the mayhem. He opens and closes the whole thing. So, it's *his* opera, LOL.

11. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    A is for Alberich, the Nibelung in Richard Wagner's tetralogy Der Ring des Nibelungen. He appears in three of the four operas, and after renouncing love, forges the Ring that is (temporarily) swiped by the chief god Wotan to pay off a pair of giant brothers for a certain construction project. Alberich puts a curse on the Ring, which pretty much gets the ball rolling for the events in the following three operas.
    Here's the Nibelung cursing his ring:

I don't know if the video still appears the same to everyone, but to me Alberich here is a dead ringer for Jack Nicholson in the Shining. If I were those nixies I'd swim a mile.
    Natalie

13. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    You always beat me to it.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A is for Tobia Gorrio

eh?

It's the pseudonym that Arrigo Boito (1842-1918) used when writing some of his works.

Well 'hoos he, wat's 'e dun and whadd'e 'av to hide?

Whoa! I'm trying to be clever does not mean I am clever.

As much as I understand he was a Italian composer and librettist. His librettos include Otello (Verdi) and La Gioconda (Ponchielli). I think his operatic compositions leave him as a bit of a one hit wonder with Mefistofele, though this was a more of a two hit wonder. First hit (1868) was more of a miss... it left him a bit battered and bruised which lead him to work under a pseudonym, an anagram of his name. His revision (1875) let it be recorded well in history.

Name:  Via Arrigo Boito.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  29.5 KB
    Via Arrigo Boito in Milan runs behind La Scala

16. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A is for Anna Bolena, the first of three operas by Donizetti that are often referred to as the Tudor Trilogy or the Tudor Queens. Anne Boleyn's daughter Elizabeth I is the Tudor Queen who appears in the other two operas, Maria Stuarda and Roberto Devereux. And though she was of the House of Stuart, Mary was the daughter of Margaret Tudor, Henry VIII's sister.

And after watching this video, let's hope Alma doesn't say A is for (cough, cough) assets . . .

18. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, see, sospiro? If A is for Anna Bolena, then A can also be for Anna Netrebko! With even better reason, when Anna portrays Anna!

And of course Mary is right, A is also for cough cough Assets cough cough which makes of La Bellissima an even better candidate for the letter A, thus giving us the nice advantage of mentioning her twice, when we get to N!

(Now I feel like a Sesame Street character - minus the cough cough assets cough cough, of course, which would be weird to find in a G-rated TV show)

But let me add an important one:

A is for Annie, the Awesome Opera Lively member and good friend, and the biggest Simon Keenlyside fan in the world, which is a hallmark only behind the fact that she is also the biggest Simon Boccanegra fan in the world! Oh! I just got an insight. Maybe she likes the opera because the title role's first name is the same as her favorite performer's first name!

Here's to Annie a.k.a. sospiro (so that we can remember her when we get to S as well!)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Haha, see, sospiro? If A is for Anna Bolena, then A can also be for Anna Netrebko! With even better reason, when Anna portrays Anna!

And of course Mary is right, A is also for cough cough Assets cough cough which makes of La Bellissima an even better candidate for the letter A, thus giving us the nice advantage of mentioning her twice, when we get to N!

(Now I feel like a Sesame Street character - minus the cough cough assets cough cough, of course, which would be weird to find in a G-rated TV show)

But let me add an important one:

A is for Annie, the Awesome Opera Lively member and good friend, and the biggest Simon Keenlyside fan in the world, which is a hallmark only behind the fact that she is also the biggest Simon Boccanegra fan in the world! Oh! I just got an insight. Maybe she likes the opera because the title role's first name is the same as her favorite performer's first name!

Here's to Annie a.k.a. sospiro (so that we can remember her when we get to S as well!)
    Awesome post!!

but ... Can we start on the Bs?

Can we? Can we? Please?
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

21. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Awesome post!!

Can we? Can we? Please?
    I'm sure you want B for Boccanegra but one might say that it's only good for S for Simon Boccanegra, since the name of an opera isn't usually alphabetized by the last name of the title character but rather by the first letter of the title, so, no Boccanegra for ya!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Awesome post!!

Can we? Can we? Please?
    Nonono wait - two more ideas at least for A but no time to compose them this morning....
    Natalie