Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: The A to Z of opera; the unofficial OL community guide to opera

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I think we should expand Barbara Hannigan further.

She was born in Canada and studied at the university of Toronto and the Conservatory of The Hague (amongst other institutions). There is a very personal and insightful interview with her on Opera Lively. Le Figaro commented on her performance (in Lulu) "...made history ...this woman must come from another planet..." She created the role of woman in George Benjamin's Written on Skin.

Attachment 5219

Attachment 5220

Attachment 5221
    Thanks for this. Barbara is just amazing. What an artist!
    I was re-watching the Written on Skin blu-ray disc this Sunday, since I'm currently involved with writing the guidebook to the opera. Oh my God, she is so incredibly good in acting and singing!!!

On March 7 she will be in Toronto singing Written on Skin. I'm tempted to go see her live. The annoying thing is that my birthday is March 8 and I usually throw a party, so, if I go to Toronto, I'll have to skip the party.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    B is for Bellini, almost certainly deserving of inclusion in the pantheon of the greatest operatic composers and without whom civilization itself likely would be in doubt.
    You just beat me to it.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    without whom civilization itself likely would be in doubt.
    Civilization itself is already in doubt since the end of Götterdämmerung.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    B is for Il Barbiere di Siviglia, the name of operas composed by Gioacchino Rossini, Giovanni Paisiello, Nicolas Isouard, and Francesco Morlacci. All are based on the first play in Pierre Beaumarchais' Figaro Trilogy, but while Rossini's version has become a popular repertoire staple, the other three have largely been forgotten -- though Paisiello's is occasionally revived.
    And here's the Barber himself, the aforementioned Figaro (or an opera singer who resembles him), singing his well-known Largo al Factotum:

6. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    B is for Cecilia Bartoli

one of our favourite Roman mezzo-sopranos, who studied at the Accademia di Santa Cecilia...

and of course cover girl of the infamous Bellini and Body art review magazine, August edition

Bellini and Body art review magazine

...with Norma but this is the one where Cecilia Bartoli is about to show us her new embarrasing tattoo she got last night when on the sauce.

Bellini: Norma
    Cecilia Bartoli (Norma), Sumi Jo (Adalgisa), John Osborn (Pollione) & Michele Pertusi (Oroveso), Liliana Nikiteanu (Clotilde), Reinaldo Macias (Flavio)
    Orchestra La Scintilla, International Chamber Vocalists
    Giovanni Antonini
    Recorded April and September 2011 and January 2013, Evangelisch-reformierte Kirchgemeinde, Zürich-Oberstrass, Switzerland

Name:  Norma - Giovanni Antonini 2013.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  49.0 KB
    Bellini and Body art review magazine

So, Cecilia, how many tattoos did you get?

Name:  Bartoli.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  14.3 KB

Four? Are you telling the truth?

Name:  Bartoli no.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  14.4 KB

Come on now, tell me honestly. How many tattoos did you get?

Name:  Bartoli 5.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  15.1 KB

Five! Now was that a really good idea? What do you think your mother will say? How do you feel?

Name:  Cecilia-Bartoli-sorry.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  13.8 KB

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Civilization itself is already in doubt since the end of Götterdämmerung.
    Bs Luiz, Bs!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And talking of Bs --- whose birthday is it today?

Clue - check out Anna Netrebko news.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    And talking of Bs --- whose birthday is it today?

Clue - check out Anna Netrebko news.
    Just for once,

I would like to be the one who says

Don't encourage him!

11. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Just for once,

I would like to be the one who says

Don't encourage him!
    Well he's been going on about La Bellissima ever since I've known him; and he forgets her birthday!!
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

13. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    B is for Berlin, very possibly the world capital of opera: the city has not one but 3 major opera companies, each with a full schedule. Who says state subsidies are a waste of money - what do they know??

15. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Well he's been going on about La Bellissima ever since I've known him; and he forgets her birthday!!
    Darn!

But I promise her that if she dumps her new fiancé and marries me, I won't forget her birthday again!

Post Thanks / Like
    B is for Beatrice di Tenda

a tragedia lirica in two acts, it is the ninth of ten operas written by Vincenzo Bellini (1801-35) and the last collaboration with Felice Romani (1788-1865).

It premiered at Teatro La Fenice, Venice, 16 March 1833 with the title role being written for the legendary Giuditta Pasta. It was unsuccessful during Bellini’s lifetime and only had a run of six performances with shouts of “Norma!” being heard from the galley on the opening night.

Romani had recently been appointed by La Scala to write all opera librettos and was over stretched; he only started on this libretto three months before the premiere. Even Bellini had started to see a possible disaster the month before. Music recycled from earlier works and some unfinished sketches are evidence to the hurried work.

Nevertheless the work is a one of the greats of belcanto opera, with some melodies of sublime beauty, great characterization and wonderful poetry and is one of my absolute favourites (and apparently also of the cat staring at me through the window as I write this listening to it). It was also championed by Richard Bonynge and Joan Sutherland.

The opera is based on a true Italian story from 1416.

There are many very good recordings available of this opera but my choice remains Pinchas Steinberg recorded by Nightingale Classics with Edita Gruberova (1992 live performance).

Name:  Beatrice di Tenda - Pinchas Steinberg 1992, Edita Gruberova, Vasselina Kasarova, Igor Morosow, D.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  50.2 KB

18. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    B is for Bizet, who wrote that godsend to all struggling opera houses, the phenomenally popular Carmen. I won't say any more about that, except that despite writing an opera which certainly made a Hispanophile of at least one acquaintance of mine, Bizet never set foot in Spain.

Bizet liked exploring exotic locations for his operas: his second most popular opera Les pêcheurs de perles is set in Ceylon, and my recommendation for today is based on an oriental tale by Alfred de Musset:

Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    B is for Bizet, who wrote that godsend to all struggling opera houses, the phenomenally popular Carmen. I won't say any more about that, except that despite writing an opera which certainly made a Hispanophile of at least one acquaintance of mine, Bizet never set foot in Spain.

Bizet liked exploring exotic locations for his operas: his second most popular opera Les pêcheurs de perles is set in Ceylon, and my recommendation for today is based on an oriental tale by Alfred de Musset:

Is it really good? Because while Carmen and Pêcheurs are both spectacular, I thought that the one people usually place right after these two, La Jolie Fille de Perth, was garbage, so I'm a bit afraid for the quality of a fourth one. I only know the three I've mentioned.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    B = Beverly Sills.
    I Know you have to like this voice but it gives me goosebumps every time.
    I love her Lucia and this is also very high quality.