Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Jonas Kaufmann

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

2. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched the video of "Rule, Britannia" on JK's unofficial web site yesterday before it was pulled (BBC cried foul -- actually copyright violation). It was fabulous to hear him and the audience, and the way everyone was so enthusiastically involved. A little more enthusiastically than I realized, to judge from the Telegraph article. Der Jonas, like La Bellissima, is not only a great artist, but knows how to really connect with an audience.

4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One can still listen to "Rule, Britannia" -- and "Nessun dorma" and "Dein ist mein ganzes Herz" -- on his Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/kaufmannjonas

Check out the threads he's wearing for the Lehár aria! (And by a top-level Italian designer, no less.)

6. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Der Jonas will be adding a few more items to his award collection this month. On 2 October, he was among those presented the European Cultural Prize awarded by the Foundation Pro Europa in a ceremony in Dresden's Frauenkirche (among the other recipients were Angela Gheorghiu and the violinist Daniel Hope). Later, he'll pick up another ECHO Klassik Award as Male Singer of the Year for his album of operetta arias. A few days ago, he received a special prize from the German edition of Gentlemen's Quarterly in connection with the magazine's presentation of its 2015 awards for men's watches, and is officially the "GQ Uhren-Mann 2015" (essentially, "Watches Man"). Seems he collects them. He also appears to be collecting unusual-looking clothing, to judge from this photo taken before the ceremony in Munich:

When I first looked at one of the photos, I thought the strange pattern on his jacket was produced by a problem with the lens. I think this fabric would have been fine for a woman's dress, but I'm not so sure about it for a man's suit -- especially the entire suit and not just the jacket.

8. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    He looks really bored here - or maybe tired?

https://youtu.be/Psu5MbF1UC8?t=40s

But he perks up a bit later thank goodness!

https://youtu.be/VLPaY-AuwJc?t=22s
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

10. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pattern suits were a trend in Fall/Winter 2015-6 fashion shows! haha He's wearing Dolce & Gabbana's first look, almost straight out of the runway:

He is with GQ, after all.

12. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    Pattern suits were a trend in Fall/Winter 2015-6 fashion shows! haha He's wearing Dolce & Gabbana's first look, almost straight out of the runway:

He is with GQ, after all.
    Looks better on the runway with a tie. Otherwise there is that expanse of white that looks unfinished.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

An Evening with Puccini DVD

Available from Amazon.uk from January 2016
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

15. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JK and his agents, Bruce Zemsky and Alan Green, have posted a notice on both the tenor’s official web site and Facebook page countering a story that appeared in the Argentinian publication La Nacion that claimed der Jonas has serious health problems (“Jonas Kaufmann tiene un serio problema de salud”). I’m glad I never saw the original article or any other references to it because it sounds like the sort of thing that would just about make one panic.
    http://www.jonaskaufmann.com/en/

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.facebook.com/nationalbibliothek/

This is the page for the Austrian National Library, and if you scroll down a bit, there’s a post regarding the 25th anniversary of the Library’s book sponsorship program. To mark the event, der Jonas agreed to sponsor a copy of the score to Fidelio. In the photo with him are the Library’s General Director Johanna Rachinger and Dr. Josef Ostermayer, a Minister in Austria’s national government.

18. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poor Jonas has had to cancel again.

http://slippedisc.com/2016/09/breaki...-of-the-month/
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no, poor Hoffmann -- he has a ticket to one of those Meistersinger performances. As for JK, this is regrettably part of a pattern with him.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Oh no, poor Hoffmann -- he has a ticket to one of those Meistersinger performances...
    Ouch! I hope they find a very good replacement so Hoffmann is not disappointed; I think if the stand in makes a very good and enjoyable performance Hoffmann will be pleased (though at some point might try catching up with the beer festival at some point...)

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what the reason for the cancellation is? I hope there is nothing seriously wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Burkhard Fritz is the replacement as Walther -- okay, but no Kaufmann. My guess is that the latter isn't seriously ill, but has once again overtaxed himself. Instead of really resting up after his trip to South America, he accepted what looks like a late addition to his schedule with the master class and concert in Naples. Something similar happened a few years ago when he returned from appearances in Australia, and again, instead of resting and letting himself properly recover, he decided to take a quick jaunt over to Boston to help his colleague Kristine Opolais and her husband, Maestro Nelsons, make the conductor's debut as head of the Boston Symphony a major event. He was no sooner back in Europe once more when he became ill and had to cancel scheduled performances.
    I love JK; he's my favorite tenor and one of the nicest people around. But he loves what he does and just can't seem to resist these appealing last-minute (relatively speaking) invitations -- with the predictable result.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was just sitting down to write a review of last night's performance of Die Meistersinger at the Komische Oper when I spotted the update to the JK thread. Sometimes you just can't win. Still, I'm very lucky to see as much as I do, so that tempers my disappointment.

I'm in Berlin now after a very interesting and fun tour of Croatia. The only downer was our local tour guide who didn't much like questions and didn't miss an opportunity to air (all) of his grievances with the other Balkan countries stemming from the war. Still, it was a snapshot of the depth of the animosity there.

View from my hotel room in Split, Croatia:

Name:  IMG_0017.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  97.7 KB

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast