Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Jonas Kaufmann

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    lucky you to have those treasures! and welcome to the forum njcolman!

I would love to hear Kaufmann sing live

2. Likes MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is, indeed, a very special experience. I heard him as Alfredo at the Lyric Opera of Chicago and the Met (his debut there), Des Grieux in Manon with Natalie Dessay as the heroine (Chicago), and Tamino in Die Zauberflöte (Met), as well as in a concert performance of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis with the Cleveland Orchestra. I'm hoping he is able to stay healthy and gets the "cancelitis" under control, because I'd really love to be able to hear him live again.

4. Likes Hoffmann, Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to this story in the New York Times, a follow-up piece on JK’s withdrawal from the Met’s new Tosca in the 2017-18 season, the tenor plans to limit his overseas stays to no more than two weeks in the future. He wants to spend more time with his kids, and one can’t fault him for that. There are also some interesting details about his offer to appear in a limited number of Tosca performances next season, but Peter Gelb didn’t buy it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/08/a...pply.html?_r=0

6. Likes Nemorino, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every time I see an update to this thread, I think "Now What"?

Let's face it, JK is high maintenance!

Of course, he's a tenor, so what's new..

8. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer, Festat liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Every time I see an update to this thread, I think "Now What"?

Let's face it, JK is high maintenance!

Of course, he's a tenor, so what's new..
    Some top notch tenors who seem to be less high maintenance - as far as I know...

Javier Camarena
    Brian Hymel
    Younghoon Lee
    Vittorio Grigolo
    Joseph Calleja
    Lawrence Brownlee
    Juan Diego Florez
    Charles Workman
    Kenneth Tarver
    Stuart Skelton
    Piotr Beczala
    Marcelo Alvarez
    Francesco Meli
    Matthew Polenzani
    Michael Fabiano
    Pavol Breslik
    Andreas Schager
    Natalie

10. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    According to this story in the New York Times, a follow-up piece on JK’s withdrawal from the Met’s new Tosca in the 2017-18 season, the tenor plans to limit his overseas stays to no more than two weeks in the future. He wants to spend more time with his kids, and one can’t fault him for that. There are also some interesting details about his offer to appear in a limited number of Tosca performances next season, but Peter Gelb didn’t buy it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/08/a...pply.html?_r=0
    Yeah, this kind of confirms what I was thinking, which was that the overseas travel is probably going to keep him from doing any full opera performances here in the foreseeable future. You have to think that a director like David McVicar wants a long rehearsal process to really get his/her personenregie on the stage, and the big stars try to pull their weight to negotiate down for less time.

So, I admire Gelb for drawing a line in the sand on this, even though it's a blow to their audience and their ticket sales, because he's sticking up for all the other artists in the production who are going to be there working on this for months.

There's a way to see it from Jonas' side to. I think to some extent it's perfectly fine for the mega-stars to be allowed to swoop in *after* most of the rehearsals. Jonas wants to do his own thing, because people are going to be there to see the "Jonas Kaufmann" interpretation of the role, and won't be able to disassociate his personal interpretation with the things he's directed to do. He gets seen in more cities for fewer performances, it keeps demand high, maybe it's easier on his voice, and if people see the same production twice with a different tenor it probably makes him look good.

But it's when he cancelled that is most damning to Jonas. Right after the season announcement? That's just bullying. Not cool. Jonas, maybe your agent told you to do it that way. But it's still on you.

12. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The other thing about the Met Tosca was, whose bright idea was to open it on New Year's Eve? Not exactly Die Fledermaus is it...

To be fair to JK he's had surgery previously on his voice and doesn't want to end in a situation where he could not even sing lighter Mozart roles if he overdoes it. I also remember another talented heldentenor who retired recently after so many vocal problems. Of course the Met wanted him all the time in his youth.

JK needs to just listen to his voice and his coaches and not the pressure of the houses and I hate to say it, even us the audience.

14. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JK needs to just listen to his voice and his coaches and not the pressure of the houses and I hate to say it, even us the audience.

You make a fair point. However, what is happening is JK has become increasingly undependable as to his appearances. While that alone leads to disappointment, the real annoyance is that he commands much higher ticket prices than other tenors - which are not refunded when he doesn't show.

I made a special trip to Munich to see JK sing in Die Meistersinger last fall, paying for airfare from Berlin, premium hotel prices during the Oktoberfest period, and also paid another premium over the usual ticket cost at the Staatsoper. After he cancelled, he ultimately was replaced by a third-stringer when his cover also cancelled. The performance was disappointing (although not just due to the tenor) and the paid ticket premium and associated costs was my problem. Not that a trip to Munich is all that painful, mind you...

By comparison, I've seen Klaus Florian Vogt sing a number of times and, while he possesses a far different vocal timbre, sings effortlessly and with great stage presence and always is a highly satisfying singer who doesn't yet command premium prices (I'm ready to see him sing Paul in Die Tote Stadt again, whenever possible..). I would love to see JK sing, he's one of a kind, but he has become too high risk for me to make that kind of investment a second time.

16. Likes MAuer, jflatter, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You make a fair point. However, what is happening is JK has become increasingly undependable as to his appearances. While that alone leads to disappointment, the real annoyance is that he commands much higher ticket prices than other tenors - which are not refunded when he doesn't show.

I made a special trip to Munich to see JK sing in Die Meistersinger last fall, paying for airfare from Berlin, premium hotel prices during the Oktoberfest period, and also paid another premium over the usual ticket cost at the Staatsoper. After he cancelled, he ultimately was replaced by a third-stringer when his cover also cancelled. The performance was disappointing (although not just due to the tenor) and the paid ticket premium and associated costs was my problem. Not that a trip to Munich is all that painful, mind you...

By comparison, I've seen Klaus Florian Vogt sing a number of times and, while he possesses a far different vocal timbre, sings effortlessly and with great stage presence and always is a highly satisfying singer who doesn't yet command premium prices (I'm ready to see him sing Paul in Die Tote Stadt again, whenever possible..). I would love to see JK sing, he's one of a kind, but he has become too high risk for me to make that kind of investment a second time.
    Absolutely see your point seeing you have a very long way to travel. My view on foreign trips is not to necessarily go somewhere to see a certain singer. Even reliable ones get ill sometimes! Try and have an insurance policy and have something else booked that weekend if poss. I had a ticket in the basket for that same Meistersinger that you went to. However Oktoberfest hotel prices put me off as well as Oktoberfest itself. I like Munich but don't fancy the idea of being around then.

18. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jflatter View Post
    Absolutely see your point seeing you have a very long way to travel. My view on foreign trips is not to necessarily go somewhere to see a certain singer. Even reliable ones get ill sometimes! Try and have an insurance policy and have something else booked that weekend if poss. I had a ticket in the basket for that same Meistersinger that you went to. However Oktoberfest hotel prices put me off as well as Oktoberfest itself. I like Munich but don't fancy the idea of being around then.

Good advice. I don't typically book around a particular singer, but made an exception for Jonas Kaufmann as I've not seen him in person. I've seen almost all the other marquis names at this point, but he is the outlier.

In case you didn't see my review, I also didn't much like the Staatsoper's Meistersinger production. The Komische Oper Berlin's minimalist production, which I saw a few days before, on the other hand, was outstanding.

20. Likes jflatter liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum, njcolman.

22. Thanks njcolman thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    (I'm ready to see him sing Paul in Die Tote Stadt again, whenever possible..).
    OMG yes! He was born for this role.
    Natalie

24. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good advice. I don't typically book around a particular singer, but made an exception for Jonas Kaufmann as I've not seen him in person. I've seen almost all the other marquis names at this point, but he is the outlier.

In case you didn't see my review, I also didn't much like the Staatsoper's Meistersinger production. The Komische Oper Berlin's minimalist production, which I saw a few days before, on the other hand, was outstanding.
    I have been wanting to see something at the Komische Oper for some time but dates never fall right. I understand their production of Rusalka is outstanding as well.

26. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have also noticed a sharp but not exactly redoubtable English blogger has murdered JK's recording of Das Lied von der Erde. Doing all the songs did seem very odd though.

28. Thanks njcolman thanked for this post
    Likes njcolman liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jflatter View Post
    I have also noticed a sharp but not exactly redoubtable English blogger has murdered JK's recording of Das Lied von der Erde. Doing all the songs did seem very odd though.
    I saw that. Unprofessional and uncalled for.

30. Likes jflatter, MAuer liked this post
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast