Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mariella Devia

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mariella Devia

While driving back from Opera Carolina's Nabucco today, I listened on Met Opera Radio to Mariella Devia's 1994 Lucia di Lammermoor with maestro Neli Santi and Juan Pons, an extremely excellent performance by all involved, and a Lucia for the ages, complete with glass harmonica.

Ms. Devia was simply exquisite and sort of put to shame modern performers of the role.

This Grande Dame of bel canto singing is still active at age 66. She recently performed in a concert version of Roberto Devereux at Carnegie Hall, and according to reviews did very well, barely showing effects of age in the delivery of her beautiful voice (with a clear high D), which is remarkable! Once a regular at the Met, Ms. Devia was last heard there precisely in 1994 (I assume it was this Lucia) so the New York opera patrons were happy to see her back.

Here is a picture from her recent Carnegie Hall appearance, on June 5, 2014, photo credit Tina Faneberg:

Any other Devia fans here?

I own this DVD of her Lucia, from 1992 at La Scala:

Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); October 20th, 2014 at 03:43 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Likes Clayton, Gigli13 liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Devia is superb! There is a DVD of her Maria Stuarda, undertaken at 60, if memory serves, and a scintillating Fille du Regiment on TDK. Most will only be able to enjoy her singing on recorded media, but to those who have not experienced her, don't take anyone's word for it, go see and hear for yourselves.

4. Likes Gigli13 liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not long ago I listened to her in one of the few available CD performances of Cherubini's pioneering rescue opera, Lodoďska. A marvelous singer; I can see why a former staff member here listed her as one of his three recent favorites, along with Renée Fleming and Waltraud Meier.

6. Likes Hoffmann, Gigli13 liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I am brand new here. This is my first post. I discovered Mariella Devia in this opera and love her in it. As a bonus you get the wonderful contralto Ewa Podles too. Really, in my opinion, all the singers in this opera are great. And it is a wonderful production. The tenor looks kind of like Neil Young, and sings very well, perhaps a bit strained on the 8 high Cs but very nice nonetheless.

8. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Opera Lively. Mariella Devia is a wonderful singer, indeed; one of my favorites, thus why I started this thread! What a phenomenal singer!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

10. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Mariella has a very beautiful voice and acts supremely in that opera. I have seen her in other opera clips on You Tube and she is equally as good.

I'd have to say that some of my favorite singers are so because I loved the opera I saw them in. This also goes for Gundula Janowitz in the Bernstein Fidelio, Eva Mei in Sonnambula, Frederica von Stade in the Abbado La Cenerentola. But my favorite singer is in my avatar!

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. There is a thread in the Forum for introductions, if you choose to share information about yourself. Most of us relate to singers we have experienced onstage. But with the development of the video media, particularly Blu ray with its HD MA surround sound, I (at least) have a better seat and hear more detailed music than when I was able to see live opera. In any case, this is a stress free zone where the only limits on enhancing one's enjoyment of opera relate to one's available time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I will post over there later this evening, and put more info in my profile. Meanwhile, here is a beautiful clip of Mariella Devia on You Tube. Love to watch her sing!

14. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread brought me into OperaLively and since then has rejuvenated my interest in Mariella Devia. I am beginning to realize that she is one of the greats. I just bought a second CD of hers so I can further enjoy her voice (I already have one aria CD and her Sonnambula):

16. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Available on Spotted fly (or all good record stores)

Bellini: La Sonnambula
    Mariella Devia (Amina), Giuseppe Riva (Alessio), Alessandro Verducci (Rodolfo), Luca Canonici (Elvino), Elisabetta Battaglia (Lisa), Laura Musella (Teresa)
    Piacenza Symphony Orchestra, Coro Citta di Como, Marcello Viotti

Name:  La Sonnambula - Marcello Viotti 1988, Mariella Devia, Teatro Sociale di Como.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  37.1 KB

It is a live recording from a performance in November 1988 from the Teatro Sociale di Como and so there is a bit of noise but nothing distracting.

18. Likes MAuer, Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Available on Spotted fly (or all good record stores)

Bellini: La Sonnambula
    Mariella Devia (Amina), Giuseppe Riva (Alessio), Alessandro Verducci (Rodolfo), Luca Canonici (Elvino), Elisabetta Battaglia (Lisa), Laura Musella (Teresa)
    Piacenza Symphony Orchestra, Coro Citta di Como, Marcello Viotti

Name:  La Sonnambula - Marcello Viotti 1988, Mariella Devia, Teatro Sociale di Como.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  37.1 KB

It is a live recording from a performance in November 1988 from the Teatro Sociale di Como and so there is a bit of noise but nothing distracting.

At this point, any record store is a good record store...

20. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla, Florestan, Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have this edition of the same Sonnambula performance (was lower price used):

My other Devia CD is this one:

Post Thanks / Like
    A fine compliment:
    Devia is by far the best lyric coloratura soprano of her generation.
    Read more here.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

23. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    A fine compliment:
    Read more here.
    Wow, a good Norma at her age! Isn't she amazing?

25. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couple more good articles:

It is remarkable that Ms. Devia is still in possession of a high D at all, let alone one so penetrating.
    from this article

and
    As she unleashed her final note, the audience of 2,700 sprang to their feet as one, as if ejected from their seats James Bond-style. I have never seen that before in any performance, not even with Nilsson, Sutherland, Pavarotti or Domingo
    from this article
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast