Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mariella Devia

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is quite a compliment (from the liner notes on my new Devia CD of the 1996 Rossini Opera Festival):

Her singing delights us with its purity of emission and style, while at the same time she considers her vocal design to be her interpretive goal, thus distancing herself from other coloratura sopranos with little to offer beyond the fireworks, and following the great esample of Maria Callas without betraying in any way her own slended voice, a light but mellow soprano.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Post Thanks / Like
    My new Devia CD is GREAT! Here is a track from it that in some ways the voice reminds me of Maria Callas (probably far from it, but it reminds me for some reason):

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered another set for my Devia collection:

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a very nice article: Mariella Devia - A Gift from Heaven. A couple of quotes:

Her fastly-spun vibrato sits easily on the ear as do her dynamic shadings from piano to forte. Her control during such shadings is exemplary and her precision and ease of attack in the upper register must be the envy of female colleagues. She is musically scrupulous and yet when it comes to ornamentation she can be surprisingly inventive and often quite daring.
    Mariella Devia's art remains free of personal idiosyncracies and annoying mannerisms. Legato is even and pure, and attack is always immediate and scoop-less. Her pitch, even during the most complicated roulades is right-on and the breath control is rock solid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered:

6. Likes MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just purchased. Supposed to be delivered next week:

Continuing to build up my Mariella Devia collection. There is not a lot available, and the prices are sometimes pretty steep. This one was a deal.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being a Devia fan, I have both the Elisir and the Adelia. You are in for some dandy listening.

9. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adelia arrived two days ago. Have listened to it three times now. it is especially wonderful, a great opera for a soprano to display here abilities.

I guess I am on a Devia binge. Just ordered this one, but to save money I didn't get this nicer cover:

They talk about Donizetti's three queens but with this one he has four queen operas.

Check out the clips!

11. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Adelia arrived two days ago. Have listened to it three times now. it is especially wonderful, a great opera for a soprano to display here abilities.

I guess I am on a Devia binge. Just ordered this one, but to save money I didn't get this nicer cover:

They talk about Donizetti's three queens but with this one he has four queen operas.

Check out the clips!
    I've got this in my collection and played it once ore twice, strange , going to try it again.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know the opera Elizabeth at Kenilworth Castle but am very interested in hearing it.

The castle is just outside Leamington Spa and so I drive by it each time I go to Presto Classical but have never been inside. I saw on the picture box just last week that the English Heritage has just made considerable improvements for the visitor experience and now you can stand where the room originally was (it is high up in the castle and you can reach it by walkways) that was built for Elizabeth's visit and see the view from the window which is why that room was chosen for her.

I think I shall make a point of visiting it this year

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/v...lworth-castle/

here endeth my irrelevant interruption to this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in the world did you find this gem? It's been out of print for years, and for sale used on Amazon for over $100??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    Where in the world did you find this gem? It's been out of print for years, and for sale used on Amazon for over $100??
    I was actually exploring the popular 3 queens (there is one for a great opening bid price on ebay) and looked at the synopsis of Roberto Devereux and decided I didn't care for the plot (Oh, I do like Anna Bolena and Maria Stuarda). I think that Wikipedia page for Roberto Devereux maybe had the mention of Elizabetta Al Castello Di Kenilworth, so I pursued it. Anyhow, the price on Amazon really put me off. Then searching on ebay it popped up for $17 Buy It Now and after sampling the clips I could not resist. Here is the link to the Ebay listing--the seller said there were 5 available. I only hope it has as good of sound qulality as the one I posted above. It looks like this (hopefully legitimate, not bootleg):

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I was actually exploring the popular 3 queens (there is one for a great opening bid price on ebay) and looked at the synopsis of Roberto Devereux and decided I didn't care for the plot (Oh, I do like Anna Bolena and Maria Stuarda). I think that Wikipedia page for Roberto Devereux maybe had the mention of Elizabetta Al Castello Di Kenilworth, so I pursued it. Anyhow, the price on Amazon really put me off. Then searching on ebay it popped up for $17 Buy It Now and after sampling the clips I could not resist. Here is the link to the Ebay listing--the seller said there were 5 available. I only hope it has as good of sound qulality as the one I posted above. It looks like this (hopefully legitimate, not bootleg):
    Don't worry they are, the sound is very good, I bought several items with Souliotis.

17. Thanks Florestan thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another DVD with Mme Devia that has not been mentioned is Donizetti's Marin Faliero, a 2006 release on Hardy Classics, which features fine singing, but a darkly filmed picture. It is still available on amazon.com.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I care for that opera's plot but it would be worth it to watch Mariella. I saw there are videos of her in Lucretia Borgia on You Tube but see no DVD to purchase.

It is too bad there are so few recordings of Mariella Devia in DVD and CD.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast