Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Operas by Bellini on DVD/Blu-ray/CD

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    So was I. It's a kind of musically obscure irony of sorts.
    Aahh. As you can see musical history irony sails right over me.
    Natalie

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    *sigh*

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a most pleasant surprise last night when we played the Met's version of I Puritani for the first time. Netrebko, as much as I have heard of her was gobsmackingly incredible, especially in "Qui la voce..."! Teno Eric Cutler was a bit troublesome, but any tenor who finishes on his feet, without a hernia, cannot invite too much criticism. Along with the Decca version with Machaidze and Florez, we have two stunning performances of this bel canto classic, and I am not advocating one over the other. They will both get plently of play time here.

And on a philosophical note, do you ever think about the tremendous historic perspective these DVDs offer? No longer restricted to sonically compromised recordings, we can visit all of the present "A team" over the years, to see in retrospect, how they developed, and offer future generations the chance to see "our favorites" in their prime(s).

5. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a most pleasant surprise last night when we played the Met's version of I Puritani for the first time. Netrebko, as much as I have heard of her was gobsmackingly incredible, especially in "Qui la voce..."! Teno Eric Cutler was a bit troublesome, but any tenor who finishes on his feet, without a hernia, cannot invite too much criticism. Along with the Decca version with Machaidze and Florez, we have two stunning performances of this bel canto classic, and I am not advocating one over the other. They will both get plently of play time here.

And on a philosophical note, do you ever think about the tremendous historic perspective these DVDs offer? No longer restricted to sonically compromised recordings, we can visit all of the present "A team" over the years, to see in retrospect, how they developed, and offer future generations the chance to see "our favorites" in their prime(s).
    Yes, Anna was spectacular in that DVD and her tenor was badly outmatched.

About your second paragraph, it is of course fabulous that we now have DVDs and even better, blu-ray discs; my only concern is, for how long? The industry is moving to streamings and downloads, and physical discs may become obsolete. But then, their digital counterparts are more short-lived... you download something, then your computer becomes obsolete, hard drives crash, and so forth. Maybe it's being old-fashioned but the certainty of holding a physical copy of a recording is reassuring, and the digital files thing has never been my preference since I am disorganized, rarely back-up stuff, and have had my share of computer failures (these thingies don't seem to be able to last longer than some five years anyway) - I'm currently upset that my laptop which is the only place that holds most of what Opera Lively is and how it is controlled and operated, is threatening to die, the F key is not working properly, the screen goes black sometimes unexpectedly... and when I tried to buy a new model, I saw that today's laptops for the most part don't even have a CD/DVD player or even a hard drive, relying on "the cloud." I don't like it.

If this thing dies unexpectedly, with my poor backing up practices, we'll be in trouble. I did back up recently most of the files that contain our books, etc., but still, all sorts of pictures and folders, I don't even have space any longer to store it all in the one external hard drive I got. I need to go buy another external hard drive and back up everything but I keep postponing it. Dangerous... I'm playing with fire.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); September 6th, 2014 at 06:42 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

7. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As to having hard physical discs, I note that turntables for vinyl records are still being sold, and CDs are still being issued (although CD players are diminishing in number). I suspect that issues with streaming, downloads and clouds will be resolved after I have left the planet. Fortunately for the time I have left, Blu ray and DVD performances still issue.I just keep the nude pics out of the cloud after the sad story of those Hollywood chicklets and their hi-jacked photos ...

As for computers, mine continues to hiccup and burp, and will require replacement soon. Yours, however is an asset to our art form. Perhaps if the members took up a collection ...? It would be beyond tragic to lose all this. Perhaps an icon of a monkey with a tin cup and an old organ grinder leading to the "contribute" part ... ?

9. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like hard copies too - we a re always having internet probs here. Last time I tried a stream (live performance fof Clemenza from Munich) there were so many outages I simply gave up.

But I do back up. All my DVDs are on 6TBs of storage, and my downloads and home computer are backed up on two separate external drives. I'd hate to lose them.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Yes, Anna was spectacular in that DVD and her tenor was badly outmatched.

About your second paragraph, it is of course fabulous that we now have DVDs and even better, blu-ray discs; my only concern is, for how long? The industry is moving to streamings and downloads, and physical discs may become obsolete. But then, their digital counterparts are more short-lived... you download something, then your computer becomes obsolete, hard drives crash, and so forth. Maybe it's being old-fashioned but the certainty of holding a physical copy of a recording is reassuring, and the digital files thing has never been my preference since I am disorganized, rarely back-up stuff, and have had my share of computer failures (these thingies don't seem to be able to last longer than some five years anyway) - I'm currently upset that my laptop which is the only place that holds most of what Opera Lively is and how it is controlled and operated, is threatening to die, the F key is not working properly, the screen goes black sometimes unexpectedly... and when I tried to buy a new model, I saw that today's laptops for the most part don't even have a CD/DVD player or even a hard drive, relying on "the cloud." I don't like it.

If this thing dies unexpectedly, with my poor backing up practices, we'll be in trouble. I did back up recently most of the files that contain our books, etc., but still, all sorts of pictures and folders, I don't even have space any longer to store it all in the one external hard drive I got. I need to go buy another external hard drive and back up everything but I keep postponing it. Dangerous... I'm playing with fire.
    This is a tough one. I don't have anything backed up, either, but don't really worry about it. I buy hardcopy CDs and download them into iTunes and manage all of my recordings from there - wireless connection from both my computer and television to my speakers, etc., works great and am very happy with the whole thing.

On the other hand, I have been very careful not to throw anything out - I keep hard copies of all my CDs, etc. I bought a second hard drive to use to back stuff up, but damned if I can figure the thing out. I guess I could buy my nephew dinner and invite him over to do it for me, but that's kind of humiliating.

I would suggest that you consider buying Apple. Nothing is perfect, but my iMac comes pretty close. I know 'buying Apple' are fighting words for some people, but their software is highly reliable, rarely glitch-y, and the machinery holds up forever. Further, there are a couple of Apple Stores in Charlotte and one in Durham (I don't know where you live, but imagine you aren't too far from one of those cities), which would give you access to their genius bars. They also would know how to download your files to your brand new MacBook Pro! Nothing like a free nerd to fix what's wrong!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the visual treatment in Machaidze version of mad scence "vien diletto" with lamps and dark ominous figures hovering in the background, visual depiction of lurking madness...then she walks back to join them to close, well done

Also notice the unusual "stagehand" camera view from behind the singers, showing conductor and audience at the end

Post Thanks / Like
    Ma'am, I am almost as much in awe of Machaidze as Netrebko. With Florez, the Decca Puritani wins by a nose, but just having watched the Met version for the second time, I am VERY happy to have both versions.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    This is a tough one. I don't have anything backed up, either, but don't really worry about it. I buy hardcopy CDs and download them into iTunes and manage all of my recordings from there - wireless connection from both my computer and television to my speakers, etc., works great and am very happy with the whole thing.

On the other hand, I have been very careful not to throw anything out - I keep hard copies of all my CDs, etc. I bought a second hard drive to use to back stuff up, but damned if I can figure the thing out. I guess I could buy my nephew dinner and invite him over to do it for me, but that's kind of humiliating.

I would suggest that you consider buying Apple. Nothing is perfect, but my iMac comes pretty close. I know 'buying Apple' are fighting words for some people, but their software is highly reliable, rarely glitch-y, and the machinery holds up forever. Further, there are a couple of Apple Stores in Charlotte and one in Durham (I don't know where you live, but imagine you aren't too far from one of those cities), which would give you access to their genius bars. They also would know how to download your files to your brand new MacBook Pro! Nothing like a free nerd to fix what's wrong!
    Hehe, I can relate to that. I wish my son would do some of this stuff for me... but he's gone, and busy. Yes, my wife has a Mac and keeps telling me to buy one. But it would be a learning curve. I don't know anything about Macs. And I'm not sure they last forever. My son's Mac Pro has just died. Yes, there's a Mac store nearby in Durham. I live in Chapel Hill, a few miles from Durham.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

15. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My old "entertainment system" from the mid-'80s with turntable, CD player, radio, and tape deck (!) is still going strong. But my computers only last seven years on average. Modern inconveniences . . .

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    My old "entertainment system" from the mid-'80s with turntable, CD player, radio, and tape deck (!) is still going strong. But my computers only last seven years on average. Modern inconveniences . . .
    Built-in obsolescence
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Hehe, I can relate to that. I wish my son would do some of this stuff for me... but he's gone, and busy. Yes, my wife has a Mac and keeps telling me to buy one. But it would be a learning curve. I don't know anything about Macs. And I'm not sure they last forever. My son's Mac Pro has just died. Yes, there's a Mac store nearby in Durham. I live in Chapel Hill, a few miles from Durham.
    I can understand your concern, but would suggest that the learning curve with a Mac isn't severe. Apple also has a tutoring program (it costs $100) for what I seem to recall are as many lessons as you want over the course of a year - that would be enough to cover most of your needs, I would imagine. It might be worth a visit and talking with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Locally, there is a service called "The Geek Squad". For computer impaired relics like me, they can be quite useful. They aren't exorbitant, although they communicate in a form of English that I find mostly incomprehensible.

As far as "engineered obsolescence", do not get me started ...

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Locally, there is a service called "The Geek Squad". For computer impaired relics like me, they can be quite useful. They aren't exorbitant, although they communicate in a form of English that I find mostly incomprehensible.

As far as "engineered obsolescence", do not get me started ...
    Yes, they're good, and my "Geek" spoke in plain English. I think that program is affiliated with the Best Buy chain.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast