Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another opera fanatic

Bookmark and Share
    Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Another opera fanatic

Hi everyone,

My name is "Bill."

Wow! I'm glad I found this message board because it's the only one I know of where people talk about opera, my musical passion. "Passion" is the right word, too, because I fell in love with opera when I had a crush on Kiri Te Kanawa. Then a book about her disappointed me when it said that she was 17 years older than me and married with children. That's okay, though, because I live like a cloistered Catholic monk.

Samson et Dalila is my favorite opera, my favorite composer is Verdi. Natile Dessay, Jussi Bjorling, Nicolae Herlea, Diana Damrau, and Elina Garanca are my favorite singers.

Alhough I'm an buff, I'm sure you'll teach me much more than I could learn on my own. Some of your enjoy Opera Quarterly, I hope. Since I'm part computer scientist, part philosopher, and part Catholic theologian, I prefer theory to practice.

I grow carnivorous plants, too, but I'm still wondering whether they like the singing. However they react to it, they're much more cultivated than plants "who" "put the petal to the metal" when they "hear" heavy metal music. Sound stimulates growth.

Thank you for being here. I look forward to many enjoyable conversations with you.

2. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BillMcEnaneyJr View Post
    Hi everyone,

My name is "Bill."

Wow! I'm glad I found this message board because it's the only one I know of where people talk about opera, my musical passion. "Passion" is the right word, too, because I fell in love with opera when I had a crush on Kiri Te Kanawa. Then a book about her disappointed me when it said that she was 17 years older than me and married with children. That's okay, though, because I live like a cloistered Catholic monk.

Samson et Dalila is my favorite opera, my favorite composer is Verdi. Natile Dessay, Jussi Bjorling, Nicolae Herlea, Diana Damrau, and Elina Garanca are my favorite singers.

Alhough I'm an buff, I'm sure you'll teach me much more than I could learn on my own. Some of your enjoy Opera Quarterly, I hope. Since I'm part computer scientist, part philosopher, and part Catholic theologian, I prefer theory to practice.

I grow carnivorous plants, too, but I'm still wondering whether they like the singing. However they react to it, they're much more cultivated than plants "who" "put the petal to the metal" when they "hear" heavy metal music. Sound stimulates growth.

Thank you for being here. I look forward to many enjoyable conversations with you.
    Welcome Bill, the world cannot have too many opera fanatics (although I'm a smidgeon nervous about the plants).
    Natalie

4. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill and let me be the first to say

Welcome to Opera Lively!

There are all sorts here with different opera interests and varying knowledge but all have love of opera in common!

There are many good thread to read and there are also threads on other interests like gardening (I am sure that most plants like opera).

I have not heard about Opera Quarterly before but I will now look in to it. Thanks for the pointer!

6. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, Bill. Unlike Natalie, I dig the plants, especially if one is named Audrey.

I am also a Verdi fanatic, but departed from the thoughts of Cloister and the monastic life when I discovered females. Which is why the romanticism of Bel Canto is my addiction.

Dig in and participate; this is a good bunch of folks who all know and love opera.

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Natalie. No worries, my friend. The bug-munchers can't harm you.

In 2012, I bought a Venus flytrap for my favorite priest, Fr. Edward Sipperly, while he lived in a nursing home. Before the little green soldier got there to protect him from the quacks, the U.S. Postal Service delivered "him" to the wrong address. Two weeks after I ordered the little fella, he reached dark room where everyone neglected him. Nobody watered him, or if anyone did, he "drank" tap water, a poison for carnivorous plants. Each time I visited Father, his poor dehydrated bodyguard seemed to thrive as though he knew he needed to be tough for him.

By the way, I know I'm humanizing a plant when Venus flytraps have no sexes. But I love those little creatures. If you adopt some, be careful because they can be surprisingly endearing. They're like the children I'll never bring up, since I've vowed to be a lifelong virgin.
    Last edited by Amfortas; July 11th, 2015 at 10:14 PM.

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Clayton. I'm sure this message board is a great place brimming with fascinating threads and wonderful people. I'm happy to hear that that many operatic subjects interest them, since I need to learn how to be a little eclectic.

Here's a link about Opera Quarterly (http://oq.oxfordjournals.org/).

10. Thanks Clayton thanked for this post
    Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, JohnGerald. Thanks for the excellent I idea. I'll name my next North American Pitcher Plant "Audrey." That may confuse her a little, though, because her common species-name is "Judith Hindle."

You might say that a female helped cloister me. Years ago, when I boarded a bus at a health club, another passenger said, "There's a guy in the gym. You know him very well, and I've had my eye on him for months." Sitting there, I scratched my head because I had no idea whom she meant until she asked me whether I needed to get hit in the head with a brick. See what embarrassing things can happen to someone who hasn't dated?

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    JohnGerard, Audrey will look something like the plants in the first photo you'll see here (https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...odege_001&vm=p).

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want her to look like the "Audrey" in Little Shop of Horrors. I have this neighbor ....

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then you may need to choose Audrey from, say, here (http://www.carnivorousplantnursery.com) or here (http://www.californiacarnivores.com. I've forgotten most of the the plot of Little Shop of Horrors because I watched it in a cinema. If you want Audrey to terrify her lunch, she better be a Nepenthes raja because she'll like rats (https://www.google.com/search?q=nepe...N-8-er4jXaE%3D)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Opera Lively, Bill. And don't worry about being cloistered. Some of us here lead pretty reclusive lives, without even taking any vows!

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Amfortas. I'm happy to be here with you. My vow doesn't worry me. No, I'm perfectly content to keep it. With my melancholic temperament, I feel the most serene when I'm alone. That may be why I try to think deeply about the operas I watch. During Butterfly, my favorite Puccini opera, I almost forget that it's fiction. Normally, I hate modern minimalist productions like the one where Dolore is a puppet. But I could hardly believe how human he seemed when Patricia Racette sang to him.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Welcome to Opera Lively, Bill. And don't worry about being cloistered. Some of us here lead pretty reclusive lives, without even taking any vows!
    I told you that in confidence.

On Topic
    Welcome Bill.
    Enjoy your time here

18. Likes Amfortas, Clayton liked this post
    Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Adrian. Maybe it's better to confide in a PM?

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a moderator out there in opera land who'll let me edit a post I wrote in this thread? The typos are driving me crazy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast