Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another opera fanatic

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BillMcEnaneyJr View Post
    Is there a moderator out there in opera land who'll let me edit a post I wrote in this thread? The typos are driving me crazy.
    There are several (of whom I am not one). If you send a PM to "Alamviva", in the head shed, you can get this done. You can also proof a post and, for a short while after posting it, edit it yourself. I, too, suffer from the clumsy thumb syndrome on occasion.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alma is often pretty busy. It may be quicker to send a PM to me, with full corrected versions of the posts in question. I can do a cut-and-paste from there.

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, JohnGerald. Clumsy thumb syndrome annoys me thoroughly because I've proofread scholarly books for a friend of mine. People say I write well enough to write professionally, and I'm hoping to publish a book about the European Enlightenment. But with the hand spasticity from my Cerebral Palsy, I can't touch-type. Anytime a finger leaves the home row, others follow. So I'm no Cameron Carpenter, the only organist I know of who can use one hand to play on two manuals at once. The great news is that, if I lean far enough, I can hunt and peck with my nose.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, brother Bill, we have much in common: I wrote a bunch of professional stuff (legal) and my clumsy thumb results from polio. And my parents almost sent me to a cloister in Siberia, when I nailed my Fifth grade teacher (a nun) with an elbow when she went to pull me down from standing on my seat at my first ever classical music concert (Ride of the Valkeyries) Not a fun time for a kid with devout Irish Parents, God rest 'em.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Opera Lively Bill. You're going to fit right in!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill, Welcome to Opera Lively - A great group here, I hope you enjoy!

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brother Bill, eh? That has a great ring to it. Now if only I could join the Society of St. Pius X, I'd be thrilled.

I haven't tried the elbow trick. But after a woman behind me complained, "The first act lasted too long, I hope the second one will be short," I wanted to mount my crutch on my right shoulder, yell "Right shoulder, arms," and "shoot" her squarely inn the forehead. "Lady," I could have growled, "don't you dare distract me again while I'm engrossed in Madama Butterfly." Naturally, I kept my cool because I usually am a very mild, almost stoic fellow. So nobody knew how much the woman's comment annoyed me there at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. Then, during the same intermission, she said, "You know, I've been walking on this cane for years now. But I'm nowhere near as badly off as the young man sitting in front of us." Since I take my handicap very lightly, I don't let comments like that offend me.

Since I hate political correctness and write frankly when I debate atheistic fans of Richard Dawkins, I need to be ready to deflect an occasional barb or two. Speaking of political incorrectness, you should have seen a miniature golf course employee's face when I told her that I didn't want to rent s club, since mine was built-in. Years before that, I joked with a friend that to get us to the head of a cinema's ticket line, I could exaggerate the handicap. Looking back, had I exaggerated it, I probably would have walked like Igor in Young Frankenstein.

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Welcome to Opera Lively Bill. You're going to fit right in!
    Thanks, sospiro. I'll fit in, I hope, but if I say enough here, you may want to hide me backstage.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Hoffmann. You guys are a great bunch.

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2