Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Hello from France!

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Junior Member Recent member Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Hello from France!

    Bonjour, everyone! Nice to meet you
    My name is Salomé, I am Jewish and daughter of Herodias.... I like dancing and stuff.

    Wait, no! Sorry.

    On a more serious note, my name is not Salomé, I live in France and I'm a medical student with a passion for classical music and opera. I was introduced to classical music through the piano, which remains today my favourite instrument. I have been playing it for 12 years now
    Although I discovered opera when I was about 6, I only started seriously listening to it about 3 years ago. I trust you guys can help me broaden my repertoire and suggest me some wonderful recordings
    I have a penchant for Baroque opera (Vivaldi and Rameau being my favourites so far) and of course, Richard Strauss (though I have only listened to a few of his operas... any recommendations?)
    I am half British, half Hungarian. Kodály, anyone?

  2. Likes Nekrotzar liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    443
    Post Thanks / Like
    G'day!

    I suggest that you listen to......

    OPERA

    Especially Britten.

    You need Britten. A Midsummer Night's Dream, Albert Herring, Peter Grimes........

    And you should introduce me to some more Vivaldi operas, I know Bajazet and that's basically it.

  4. #3
    Junior Member Recent member Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, friend

    You know what breaks my heart?
    Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream was on last week on telly (live from the stage in our town) and I MISSED IT. HOW COULD I ???
    Anyway, if you want some Vivaldi operas I suggest you start with Orlando Furioso and Ercole sul Termodonte. (Naive editions are fantastic...)
    I'm also very fond of Teuzzone.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    443
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Hello, friend

    You know what breaks my heart?
    Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream was on last week on telly (live from the stage in our town) and I MISSED IT. HOW COULD I ???
    Anyway, if you want some Vivaldi operas I suggest you start with Orlando Furioso and Ercole sul Termodonte. (Naive editions are fantastic...)
    I'm also very fond of Teuzzone.
    Ooooooh you missed it....oh well, it isn't the end of the world (YET) but that was one opera I've fallen in love with in the past month. I've been thinking that Orlando Furioso should perhaps be my starting point for Vivaldi since both that and Bajazet are the ones I've heard parts of on the radio so far.....thank you very much for the suggestion.

  6. #5
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum, Salomé! You'll find other devotees of both Baroque opera and Strauss here, with any number of recommendations for you.

    Which Strauss operas have you heard so far?

  7. #6
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Salomé,

    Welcome to opera lively. There is a broad range of interests here, I especially like baroque operas too!

  8. #7
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Bonjour, everyone! Nice to meet you
    My name is Salomé, I am Jewish and daughter of Herodias.... I like dancing and stuff.

    Wait, no! Sorry.

    On a more serious note, my name is not Salomé, I live in France and I'm a medical student with a passion for classical music and opera. I was introduced to classical music through the piano, which remains today my favourite instrument. I have been playing it for 12 years now
    Although I discovered opera when I was about 6, I only started seriously listening to it about 3 years ago. I trust you guys can help me broaden my repertoire and suggest me some wonderful recordings
    I have a penchant for Baroque opera (Vivaldi and Rameau being my favourites so far) and of course, Richard Strauss (though I have only listened to a few of his operas... any recommendations?)
    I am half British, half Hungarian. Kodály, anyone?
    Hi, Salomé, welcome to Opera Lively. I lived in France for five years a couple of decades ago and I'm a medical doctor so we have something in common - not to forget that I love Baroque opera and Strauss as well (and everything else, as a matter of fact).

    You probably know about it already but one way to get a number of operas that you might have missed, is CultureBox, a French organization that puts lots of good broadcasts on their website.

    Make sure to notice that we do have a small French area in our site. You can read there a couple of interesting interviews in French that we did, one with videographer Francois Rouissillon, and one with Roberto Alagna. I posted over there my list of French operas/operas in French.

    As for Strauss, my very favorite one is not usually the one quoted by most people: Die Frau ohne Schatten. I like most of his operas but make sure you stay clear of Intermezzo which is a colossal bore.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  9. #8
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Hello, friend

    You know what breaks my heart?
    Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream was on last week on telly (live from the stage in our town) and I MISSED IT. HOW COULD I ???
    Anyway, if you want some Vivaldi operas I suggest you start with Orlando Furioso and Ercole sul Termodonte. (Naive editions are fantastic...)
    I'm also very fond of Teuzzone.
    Never mind:

    Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream from Aix en Provence streamed on Culture Box.
    Natalie

  10. #9
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Bonjour, everyone! Nice to meet you
    My name is Salomé, I am Jewish and daughter of Herodias.... I like dancing and stuff.

    Wait, no! Sorry.

    On a more serious note, my name is not Salomé, I live in France and I'm a medical student with a passion for classical music and opera. I was introduced to classical music through the piano, which remains today my favourite instrument. I have been playing it for 12 years now
    Although I discovered opera when I was about 6, I only started seriously listening to it about 3 years ago. I trust you guys can help me broaden my repertoire and suggest me some wonderful recordings
    I have a penchant for Baroque opera (Vivaldi and Rameau being my favourites so far) and of course, Richard Strauss (though I have only listened to a few of his operas... any recommendations?)
    I am half British, half Hungarian. Kodály, anyone?
    By the way welcome. Like you (and Clayton) I am very keen on Baroque opera, I'd add (Handel, Purcell, Cavalli and Vinci to my list of favourites).

    I also grew up in France and Geneva; I'm English living in New Zealand.
    Natalie

  11. #10
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Salome, and welcome to Opera Lively!

    I have to say that I don't know baroque all that well - bel canto and Wagner are more my speed, so be sure to let me know if those hold any interest for you. The good news is there are all kinds of operas to delve into, so there's plenty of opportunities.

  12. #11
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Salomé and welcome to Opera Lively.

    I am currently in France, in Paris to be precise but only for Le Tour de France and will return to UK on Monday.

    Hope you enjoy the forum.

    Allez Le Tour!!!

    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  13. Likes Clayton, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
  14. #12
    Junior Member Recent member Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Salomé! You'll find other devotees of both Baroque opera and Strauss here, with any number of recommendations for you.

    Which Strauss operas have you heard so far?
    Thank you for the welcome! So far I've heard Salomé, seen Elektra live on stage and heard a bit of Ariadne auf Naxos, a pending Arabella and Rosenkavalier. Should get to them soon!

    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Hi Salomé,

    Welcome to opera lively. There is a broad range of interests here, I especially like baroque operas too!
    Thank you, looking forward to reading your threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Hi, Salomé, welcome to Opera Lively. I lived in France for five years a couple of decades ago and I'm a medical doctor so we have something in common - not to forget that I love Baroque opera and Strauss as well (and everything else, as a matter of fact).

    You probably know about it already but one way to get a number of operas that you might have missed, is CultureBox, a French organization that puts lots of good broadcasts on their website.

    Make sure to notice that we do have a small French area in our site. You can read there a couple of interesting interviews in French that we did, one with videographer Francois Rouissillon, and one with Roberto Alagna. I posted over there my list of French operas/operas in French.

    As for Strauss, my very favorite one is not usually the one quoted by most people: Die Frau ohne Schatten. I like most of his operas but make sure you stay clear of Intermezzo which is a colossal bore.
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm glad to know I have a medical colleague on the forum!
    I used to watch a lot of stuff on CultureBox but with my studies I forgot about it for a while, a big thank you for reminding me! Unfortunately streaming is very difficult in my house owing to my relatively low bandwidth, but I will grit my teeth and wait as long as it takes for these videos to buffer.
    Nekrotzar brought my attention to your French section and I was very delighted to read through your interviews! You have all done a great job on this forum

    I've only heard the name of this opera, but now I'm definitely curious as to what it is about. I think I saw you mention it in a thread. Any recordings you could recommend?
    Your "colossal bore" made me laugh! Is Intermezzo that bad?

    A BIG thank you to you!

    I moved to France a few years ago, before that I used to live in Switzerland, not far from Geneva. So we have a lot in common!


    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Hi Salome, and welcome to Opera Lively!

    I have to say that I don't know baroque all that well - bel canto and Wagner are more my speed, so be sure to let me know if those hold any interest for you. The good news is there are all kinds of operas to delve into, so there's plenty of opportunities.
    I do enjoy Wagner from time to time. I did get to see a live performance of Tannhäuser in Budapest which was phenomenal. I have also listened to the Ring , especially the recordings with Sir Solti.
    Bel canto isn't my cup of tea, though I do admit it is starting to grow on me. Someone is trying to convert me to Rossini but it is taking a while. I'm hoping this forum will thoroughly introduce me to Italian opera
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Hi, Salomé and welcome to Opera Lively.

    I am currently in France, in Paris to be precise but only for Le Tour de France and will return to UK on Monday.

    Hope you enjoy the forum.

    Allez Le Tour!!!

    Enjoy your stay in Paris! Although I noticed you had a bit of rain yesterday. Did you bring it with you from the UK?
    I shall be going myself to the UK this August for some family visiting. I'm hoping to bring the weather with me - it's gorgeous here in the south of France.

  15. Likes Nekrotzar, Clayton liked this post
  16. #13
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Enjoy your stay in Paris! Although I noticed you had a bit of rain yesterday. Did you bring it with you from the UK?
    I shall be going myself to the UK this August for some family visiting. I'm hoping to bring the weather with me - it's gorgeous here in the south of France.
    Just a bit!! It was cold and very wet but we had a great time. I've done it before and really love the excitement. Hope you bring some of that lovely south of France weather to UK!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  17. #14
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I moved to France a few years ago, before that I used to live in Switzerland, not far from Geneva. So we have a lot in common!
    That is a coincidence - where were you? I lived in Celigny, about 5 kilometres from Nyon on the north side of the lake.
    Natalie

  18. #15
    Junior Member Recent member Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    That is a coincidence - where were you? I lived in Celigny, about 5 kilometres from Nyon on the north side of the lake.
    I used to live in a pleasant village next to Lausanne.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I lived in France for five years a couple of decades ago and I'm a medical doctor so we have something in common -
    By the way - if you don't mind me asking, what do you specialise in, Dr. Gazzola?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS