Thread: Hello from Cornwall

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Cornwall

While i have been on the forum for several months now I did not see the new member forum till just now. I'm a student living in Cornwall originally from London. As such my opportunity to see live operas is rather limited (for now) however, that is not stopping me from building up a general list of operas that i would one day like to see live and to provide a soundtrack to my regular daytime activities. Sadly this seems to have worked too well due to the large amounts of free time a student has and i am yet to find an opera i would not jump at the chance at seeing live! So with 18 operas listened to 10 i have fallen madly in love with (as well as 8 i like a lot) this is me!

2. Likes Clayton, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the site. While you are waiting to see live operas, do look into picking up DVDs of operas. I have been very satisfied with watching opera on DVD and of course much listening on my MP3 player to my growing opera CD collection. If you don't guess it from my user name, my all time favorite opera is Beethoven's Fidelio--I have about a dozen DVDs and about 19 CD sets of this wonderful opera.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fidelio is on my list of must see operas after ive finished Puccinis operas (three to go!!!!) and probably a few more Verdi operas (the man has so many...). I must confess i have neglected the German language area of the repertory (to my great shame) with the exception of J Strauss' Die Fledermaus (a collection of divine tunes and quite amusing even in the original German if subtitles are present) .However, I will get round to Fidelio so long as my pesky course does not take up to much time!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Povero Buoso!

As well as watching opera on DVD, check out YouTube. Have you ever been to an opera staged at Minack?
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not been to the Minack Theatre yet but with one of my university society's odds are good I'll be attending a play sometime in 2016 as for Opera I am unsure I will have a chance before i finish my degree but will definitely keep an eye out.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are okay with advertisements, then Spotify is free and has a great catalogue of opera. I have been using the service for a while now and even subscribed for about a year.

8. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I've probably said it before but in any case, welcome to Opera Lively!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is Povero Buoso studying? Or should I ask not studying whilst enjoying opera?

I only ask as I think some of your comments on the operas are well written...

11. Likes Povero Buoso liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am studying Politics and International relations. At A level however I did Philosophy,Sociology,Economics and Politics. In other words my studies have nothing to do whatsoever with music at all (though some operas are politically intriguing especially those of Verdi's) !
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

13. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post