Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 156

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #46
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Maybe meet for lunch or something while you are in Berlin? I'm still thinking about that Cendrillon, myself, but now we are thinking about adding a short trip to Prague.
    Definitely! Check your PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  2. #47
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 2016 opera season here in Cincinnati gets underway this evening with Die Fledermaus (Nicole Cabell sings Rosalinde), followed by the world premier of Greg Spears' Fellow Travelers this month and then productions of Fidelio and Tosca in July. As a season subscriber, I was among those who received a missive in the mail yesterday from General Director/CEO Patty Beggs and Artistic Director Evans Mirageas dealing with Fellow Travelers -- specifically the fact that the opera deals with a love affair between two men, including displays of affection between the two. The CO has also posted a notice on its web site that this production is intended for adult audiences. Of course, anyone who has been keeping up with information on this work's world premier knows that it deals with the fact that homosexuals in government were being targeted as security threats during the anti-Communist hysteria of the McCarthy era. So I find it neither surprising nor upsetting that the protagonists are a pair of gay lovers. And since heterosexual lovers in opera engage in displays of romantic affection, it's to be expected that gay lovers will, too. Of course, I understand that the CO wants to be careful about dealing with a potentially controversial subject -- particularly in view of what happened in Orlando, though Ms. Beggs and Mr. Mirageas point out that this letter had been drafted before that tragedy occurred. My own guess is that the majority of the Opera's patrons will react pretty much as I have, and accept Fellow Travelers' plot as a reflection of real life and a particular period in this country's history.

  3. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Festat liked this post
  4. #48
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    The 2016 opera season here in Cincinnati gets underway this evening with Die Fledermaus (Nicole Cabell sings Rosalinde), followed by the world premier of Greg Spears' Fellow Travelers this month and then productions of Fidelio and Tosca in July. As a season subscriber, I was among those who received a missive in the mail yesterday from General Director/CEO Patty Beggs and Artistic Director Evans Mirageas dealing with Fellow Travelers -- specifically the fact that the opera deals with a love affair between two men, including displays of affection between the two. The CO has also posted a notice on its web site that this production is intended for adult audiences. Of course, anyone who has been keeping up with information on this work's world premier knows that it deals with the fact that homosexuals in government were being targeted as security threats during the anti-Communist hysteria of the McCarthy era. So I find it neither surprising nor upsetting that the protagonists are a pair of gay lovers. And since heterosexual lovers in opera engage in displays of romantic affection, it's to be expected that gay lovers will, too. Of course, I understand that the CO wants to be careful about dealing with a potentially controversial subject -- particularly in view of what happened in Orlando, though Ms. Beggs and Mr. Mirageas point out that this letter had been drafted before that tragedy occurred. My own guess is that the majority of the Opera's patrons will react pretty much as I have, and accept Fellow Travelers' plot as a reflection of real life and a particular period in this country's history.
    I suspect CO also might be looking back at that little incident some years ago where the city had a rather strong reaction to a Mapplethorpe exhibit at the time. That exhibit created all kinds of ruckus.

  5. #49
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    The 2016 opera season here in Cincinnati gets underway this evening with Die Fledermaus (Nicole Cabell sings Rosalinde), followed by the world premier of Greg Spears' Fellow Travelers this month and then productions of Fidelio and Tosca in July. As a season subscriber, I was among those who received a missive in the mail yesterday from General Director/CEO Patty Beggs and Artistic Director Evans Mirageas dealing with Fellow Travelers -- specifically the fact that the opera deals with a love affair between two men, including displays of affection between the two. The CO has also posted a notice on its web site that this production is intended for adult audiences. Of course, anyone who has been keeping up with information on this work's world premier knows that it deals with the fact that homosexuals in government were being targeted as security threats during the anti-Communist hysteria of the McCarthy era. So I find it neither surprising nor upsetting that the protagonists are a pair of gay lovers. And since heterosexual lovers in opera engage in displays of romantic affection, it's to be expected that gay lovers will, too. Of course, I understand that the CO wants to be careful about dealing with a potentially controversial subject -- particularly in view of what happened in Orlando, though Ms. Beggs and Mr. Mirageas point out that this letter had been drafted before that tragedy occurred. My own guess is that the majority of the Opera's patrons will react pretty much as I have, and accept Fellow Travelers' plot as a reflection of real life and a particular period in this country's history.
    Meanwhile women in breeches have been kissing other women in opera for decades!
    Natalie

  6. #50
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I suspect CO also might be looking back at that little incident some years ago where the city had a rather strong reaction to a Mapplethorpe exhibit at the time. That exhibit created all kinds of ruckus.
    Oh yes, was that ever mishandled! The county prosecutor involved in that fiasco is long gone, and I think attitudes in general have changed in the intervening three decades.

  7. #51
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Cincinnati Opera just posted this video clip on YouTube for the new production of Tosca, which will premiere on Saturday. (I'll actually attend the performance a week from today.) Looks very promising.


  8. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Festat liked this post
  9. #52
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coming up:

    La Gazza Ladra Glimmerglass, Cooperstown, NY 25 August

    Die Meistersinger Komische Oper Berlin 25 September

    Die Meistersinger Bayerische Staatsoper München 30 September

    Le Nozze Di Figaro Washington National Opera 2 October

    Aknaten Los Angeles Opera 10 November

    La Fille Du Regiment Washington National Opera 18 November

    Menu: Plaisir Opera Lafayette, Wash, DC 19 November

    Herodiade Washington Concert Opera 20 November

    And, am still working on trying to fit in a trip to NYC for their Guillaume Tell ..

  10. #53
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice selection!
    Natalie

  11. #54
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all! Busy summer for me: I had to move, and I'm studying to take the GMAT to go to business school. But I just booked travel to go to the Met for the first time! I didn't think I could afford to do it this year, but I just booked my round-trip flight at no cost thanks to years of credit card rewards I never cashed in!

    Jenufa, October 28
    Guillaume Tell, October 29
    L'Italiana in algeri, October 29

    I just have to see this production of William Tell, and see my first Janacek opera. I love his orchestral music, and was blown away by Vec Makropulos recently, just listening to it without the translation(!).

  12. #55
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jenufa is brilliant! I'm sure you will love it.

  13. #56
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Hey all! Busy summer for me: I had to move, and I'm studying to take the GMAT to go to business school. But I just booked travel to go to the Met for the first time! I didn't think I could afford to do it this year, but I just booked my round-trip flight at no cost thanks to years of credit card rewards I never cashed in!
    Nice one!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Jenufa, October 28
    Guillaume Tell, October 29
    L'Italiana in algeri, October 29

    I just have to see this production of William Tell, and see my first Janacek opera. I love his orchestral music, and was blown away by Vec Makropulos recently, just listening to it without the translation(!).
    What a great choice! I'm sure you'll enjoy them all.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  14. #57
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guillaume Tell with Gerald Finley; wonderful!
    Natalie

  15. #58
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will this be your first visit to the Big Apple? If so, I can suggest a couple of hotels where I stayed when attending Met performances.

    The Empire Hotel (44 W. 63rd St.) is right across the street from Lincoln Center. An attempt to convert this building to condos in the late '90s evidently didn't work out well, so it's received a spiffy makeover and is back to being a hotel again.
    http://www.reservations.com/hotel/em...FRJZhgodmWANew

    When the Empire was no longer available, I stayed at the Hudson Hotel (358 W. 58th St.) just a few blocks south of Lincoln Center. My room was barely bigger than a closet, but since I was usually there only one night, I didn't mind.
    http://www.reservations.com/hotel/hu...FcZahgod7awEFg

    Both places met my requirements for clean, safe, and close to Lincoln Center. They also weren't particularly pricey -- at least by New York standards -- but it's been a number of years since I stayed at either one.

  16. Thanks Nemorino thanked for this post
    Likes Clayton liked this post
  17. #59
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, fortunately, I spent a full week's vacation there a couple years ago. I've seen the basic sights and know the subway system pretty well. It was shortly after I went that I *really* started to love opera, and regretted not making a trip to the Met more of a priority.

    Thanks for the recommendations! They do look reasonable for NY prices. I will keep them in mind for my next trip, because this one's one a dangerously tight budget which I already blew on the Guillaume Tell ticket. I'm hoping to crash on somebody's couch or AirBnB room or I'll stay in a hostel. I can rough it for a couple days to make this a reality!

  18. #60
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    No, fortunately, I spent a full week's vacation there a couple years ago. I've seen the basic sights and know the subway system pretty well. It was shortly after I went that I *really* started to love opera, and regretted not making a trip to the Met more of a priority.

    Thanks for the recommendations! They do look reasonable for NY prices. I will keep them in mind for my next trip, because this one's one a dangerously tight budget which I already blew on the Guillaume Tell ticket. I'm hoping to crash on somebody's couch or AirBnB room or I'll stay in a hostel. I can rough it for a couple days to make this a reality!
    I like a person who has their priorities right!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  19. Likes MAuer, Festat, Hoffmann, Nemorino, Clayton liked this post
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS