Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 92

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #76
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    very nice. I'll make a note of this one for if (or when) I get to Munich some day...

  2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  3. #77
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    very nice. I'll make a note of this one for if (or when) I get to Munich some day...
    I would advise you not to go into this shop, unless you have pre-arranged for one of these to accompany you back to UK.

    http://www.flamingo-shipping.com/pub...Inspection.jpg

  4. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla, Clayton liked this post
  5. #78
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

  6. #79
    Member Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Will this be your first visit to the Big Apple? If so, I can suggest a couple of hotels where I stayed when attending Met performances.

    When the Empire was no longer available, I stayed at the Hudson Hotel (358 W. 58th St.) just a few blocks south of Lincoln Center. My room was barely bigger than a closet, but since I was usually there only one night, I didn't mind.
    http://www.reservations.com/hotel/hu...FcZahgod7awEFg
    By the way, I've been meaning to thank Mary for this recommendation. I stayed at the Hudson for my Guillaume Tell trip, and I just booked a night there for my April pilgrimage. After taxes & fees it still comes out to $250-300/ night, but for walking distance to the Met it's hard to beat. So, thank you!

    (Side note: at that price, I can only afford 1 night in NYC, so what I did was go see an opera Friday night, get a good night's sleep at the Hudson, see 2 operas on Saturday, then take the subway to the airport and sleep in the terminal until my morning flight back! The things we do for love of opera!

    My Met Pilgrimage #2:
    4/21 - Der Rosenkavalier
    4/22 - Eugene Onegin
    4/22 - Rigoletto

    It will be my first Rosenkavalier, and first time seeing Renee Fleming, Elina Garanca, Anna Netrebko, Peter Mattei et al, live. And a pretty ideal cast for my first Verdi opera live. And I'm personally looking forward to the "rat pack" Rigoletto. I don't expect it to add anything to the story, but just provide some more unique eye candy; I get bored of drab, medieval locales.

  7. #80
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    ...I can only afford 1 night in NYC, so what I did was go see an opera Friday night, get a good night's sleep at the Hudson, see 2 operas on Saturday, then take the subway to the airport and sleep in the terminal until my morning flight back! The things we do for love of opera!
    ...
    I salute you! (while having a good giggle too)


    Opera mania on a different level...

  8. #81
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,134
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    By the way, I've been meaning to thank Mary for this recommendation. I stayed at the Hudson for my Guillaume Tell trip, and I just booked a night there for my April pilgrimage. After taxes & fees it still comes out to $250-300/ night, but for walking distance to the Met it's hard to beat. So, thank you!

    (Side note: at that price, I can only afford 1 night in NYC, so what I did was go see an opera Friday night, get a good night's sleep at the Hudson, see 2 operas on Saturday, then take the subway to the airport and sleep in the terminal until my morning flight back! The things we do for love of opera!

    My Met Pilgrimage #2:
    4/21 - Der Rosenkavalier
    4/22 - Eugene Onegin
    4/22 - Rigoletto

    It will be my first Rosenkavalier, and first time seeing Renee Fleming, Elina Garanca, Anna Netrebko, Peter Mattei et al, live. And a pretty ideal cast for my first Verdi opera live. And I'm personally looking forward to the "rat pack" Rigoletto. I don't expect it to add anything to the story, but just provide some more unique eye candy; I get bored of drab, medieval locales.
    Bravo! Great line-up. I don't know the Met's Rosenkavalier production, but have seen Renee Fleming sing the Marshallin in a concert performance that brought me to tears (not that it's all that difficult, really..). I'm really interested to hear what you think of the Onegin.

    Have a great time! Even sleeping in the airport - now that's dedication.

  9. Likes MAuer, Dichteurehalle liked this post
  10. #82
    Member Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Bravo! Great line-up. I don't know the Met's Rosenkavalier production, but have seen Renee Fleming sing the Marshallin in a concert performance that brought me to tears (not that it's all that difficult, really..). I'm really interested to hear what you think of the Onegin.

    Have a great time! Even sleeping in the airport - now that's dedication.
    The Rosenkavalier is a new Robert Carsen, co-produced with the ROH, I believe. So there's going to be a giant bed, and they've updated the time period from the mid 1700s to Strauss and Hofmannsthal's time (so that we watch with the knowledge that in a few short years, the Feldmarschall is going to suffer intense professional disappointment; Octavian is going to march off to war in a jaunty uniform, never to return; and Sophie's father is going to be enormously successful?). Also, Gunther Groissbock (young and attractive) is of the "Ochs as Don Giovanni" school of thought, rather than the "Ochs is a buffoonish old guy" school, so I'm quite looking forward to this.

  11. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer liked this post
  12. #83
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    By the way, I've been meaning to thank Mary for this recommendation. I stayed at the Hudson for my Guillaume Tell trip, and I just booked a night there for my April pilgrimage. After taxes & fees it still comes out to $250-300/ night, but for walking distance to the Met it's hard to beat. So, thank you!

    (Side note: at that price, I can only afford 1 night in NYC, so what I did was go see an opera Friday night, get a good night's sleep at the Hudson, see 2 operas on Saturday, then take the subway to the airport and sleep in the terminal until my morning flight back! The things we do for love of opera!

    My Met Pilgrimage #2:
    4/21 - Der Rosenkavalier
    4/22 - Eugene Onegin
    4/22 - Rigoletto

    It will be my first Rosenkavalier, and first time seeing Renee Fleming, Elina Garanca, Anna Netrebko, Peter Mattei et al, live. And a pretty ideal cast for my first Verdi opera live. And I'm personally looking forward to the "rat pack" Rigoletto. I don't expect it to add anything to the story, but just provide some more unique eye candy; I get bored of drab, medieval locales.
    My sister one of these days stayed in a hotel right next to the Met, like two blocks away, with tiny rooms but very modern, clean, and comfortable. She paid some $150 per night which for NYC is a bargain. I'm trying to remember the name of it. I think I'll have to use Google street view to see its facade and tell you the name, hang on.

    ----------

    I can't seem to find that one, it doesn't seem to be where I thought it was. On the other hand I found one even cheaper! Row NYC, on 8th avenue / 45th street, defined as "minimalist rooms" that go for $77, whoa! Seems also sleek and modern.

    ----------

    Another one, even closer to the Met, the Holiday Inn at 57th street between 9th and 10th avenue is listed as having rooms starting at $68. This is an older hotel but one can't beat the price!


    -----------

    The Empire Hotel, literally at Lincoln Center (across the street from it) is listed at $118 in one of the aggregator sites.


    ----------

    Anyway, I believe you can find hotels in the proximity of the Met for way less than the $250-$300 you are paying. Most likely not as comfortable as the Hudson but they probably beat sleeping in the airport. Certainly prices change with specific dates and I'm just seeing current listings but I believe you can do better than $250-$300.

    What I'm saying is not from personal experience because I always stay in the same place (which, confessedly, is expensive), but just looking around on Google there are cheaper options.

    -----------

    Hm, OK, never mind, how could I be so wrong in so many accounts? I looked up the prices for the date of your trip, and you are right, it's all in the $300 range, including the ones I mentioned above, except for the Row NYC which goes for $179.

    And doing that I did find the hotel my sister liked but I was totally wrong regarding the location, it's not close to the Met. It's called RIU Plaza New York Times Square (I mean, Times Square is not that far from the Met) and on 4/21 it goes for $277 so no advantage over the Hudson.

    Expanding my search I got to some really creepy places so the next cheap one that seems relatively decent and not far away like Brooklyn or Queens, is the Mayfair New York at W 49th and Broadway, for $155.

    Heeey, there is one called Opera House Hotel, listed on Hotels.com as "Loved by guests" and "Superb" with rating of 4.5 out of 5 and it goes for $169 but it's in the Bronx, what a pity! The name made me curious and of course with the subway it changes the equation: it sits one-and-a-half blocks from the subway station, lines 2 and 5. Line 2 takes you directly to Lincoln Center, the station is at 66th and Broadway. Free breakfast, free Wi-Fi.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); February 17th, 2017 at 02:18 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  13. #84
    Member Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Hm, OK, never mind, how could I be so wrong in so many accounts? I looked up the prices for the date of your trip, and you are right, it's all in the $300 range, including the ones I mentioned above, except for the Row NYC which goes for
    Wow, I appreciate you looking into all this! It may be the trick is to wait until the last minute, and the hotels are giving these cheaper prices to fill vacant rooms. But April is probably at the start of the tourist season, so I don't know if I want to risk not booking in advance. I like the Opera House Hotel, though! I hadn't been looking in the Bronx but it makes a lot of sense with that direct subway line.

    I have to admit, now that I've put some money on these concerts, I'm second guessing myself a little on whether I jumped the gun on this trip. But the allure of New York is strong.

    When I was there in October, btw, I took the subway to Brooklyn (in between the Saturday operas!) to visit the new Alamo Drafthouse Cinema on its grand opening weekend (a terrific chain that started in my town). I mention this because it might be of some interest to the rest of you opera lovers for one of its stranger points-of-interest. In the attached bar - dubbed "House of Wax" - they are exhibiting a morbid collection of 19th century wax figures and medical training models (think wax models of skin infections and fetal abnormalities for students to study). At the entrance, is an entire wall of authentic death masks taken of famous 19th century figures like Napoleon and Goethe.... and Beethoven, Liszt, Mendelssohn & Weber! I highly recommend a stop there just to "meet" these guys. (The cocktails are legit, too). Here's Beethoven:

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  8.4 KB

  14. #85
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weird! I'll check it out next time I'm in New York.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  15. #86
    Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next week at the Royal Opera House I have two operas in 5 days. Firstly Die Meistersinger and then Madama Butterfly. I am very much looking to seeing Ermonela Jaho in the title role of the latter.

  16. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  17. #87
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,134
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jflatter View Post
    Next week at the Royal Opera House I have two operas in 5 days. Firstly Die Meistersinger and then Madama Butterfly. I am very much looking to seeing Ermonela Jaho in the title role of the latter.
    Who's the cast in Meistersinger - not the whole list, just the main players.

  18. #88
    Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Who's the cast in Meistersinger - not the whole list, just the main players.
    Bryn Terfel-Sachs
    Rachel Willis Sorensen-Eva
    Gwyn Hughes Jones-von Stolzing
    Johannes Martin Kränzle-Beckmesser
    Allan Clayton-David
    Hanna Hipp-Magdalene
    Stephen Milling-Pogner

    Conducted by Pappano and directed by Kasper Holten

  19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  20. #89
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,134
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jflatter View Post
    Bryn Terfel-Sachs
    Rachel Willis Sorensen-Eva
    Gwyn Hughes Jones-von Stolzing
    Johannes Martin Kränzle-Beckmesser
    Allan Clayton-David
    Hanna Hipp-Magdalene
    Stephen Milling-Pogner

    Conducted by Pappano and directed by Kasper Holten
    Thanks! I happened on the review in "The Guardian" this morning (I get these every so often via Apple News), which seemed barely lukewarm about Holten's production, but gave the singing very high marks. The critic, Fiona Maddocks, also referred to the opera as "... Wagner's troubled comedy". I found this statement puzzling and only sort of clarified by continuing to read thru the review until finding these later sentences:

    There is, however, no reference at the Royal Opera House to Nazis or antisemitism. This hymn to German art is delivered without irony, a reflection of Wagner's era. Ms. Maddocks does add, parenthetically: The opera was premiered in 1868, Germany unified as an empire in 1871.

    So, I suppose it's just a bit of syntax disagreement. I might have written "Wagner's troubling comedy, rather than troubled, which suggests (to my reading) that the opera was a flawed attempt by the composer as opposed to having a troubling political context.

    I hope you will write up your review for us post-performance!

  21. Likes jflatter, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  22. #90
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Saunderstown, RI, USA
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will be seeing Pagliacci in Albuquerque 3/26 and Fidelio at the Met in NYC on 3/28. How's that for "getting around?"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS