Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The next opera you're going to see

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalluk View Post
    I will be seeing Pagliacci in Albuquerque 3/26 and Fidelio at the Met in NYC on 3/28. How's that for "getting around?"

Impressive!

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Thanks! I happened on the review in "The Guardian" this morning (I get these every so often via Apple News), which seemed barely lukewarm about Holten's production, but gave the singing very high marks. The critic, Fiona Maddocks, also referred to the opera as "... Wagner's troubled comedy". I found this statement puzzling and only sort of clarified by continuing to read thru the review until finding these later sentences:

There is, however, no reference at the Royal Opera House to Nazis or antisemitism. This hymn to German art is delivered without irony, a reflection of Wagner's era. Ms. Maddocks does add, parenthetically: The opera was premiered in 1868, Germany unified as an empire in 1871.

So, I suppose it's just a bit of syntax disagreement. I might have written "Wagner's troubling comedy, rather than troubled, which suggests (to my reading) that the opera was a flawed attempt by the composer as opposed to having a troubling political context.

I hope you will write up your review for us post-performance!
    I will try-time permitting.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not an opera and isn't until July so strictly speaking isn't the next thing I'll see but very excited nonetheless. Have heard so much about them and can't wait.

http://thesixteen.com/events/choral-...017-lichfield/

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Not an opera and isn't until July so strictly speaking isn't the next thing I'll see but very excited nonetheless. Have heard so much about them and can't wait.

http://thesixteen.com/events/choral-...017-lichfield/
    What an intriguing mix of Poulenc and Palestrina! That'll be a great concert.

5. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    What an intriguing mix of Poulenc and Palestrina! That'll be a great concert.
    I don't know either so will need to do some homework before I go.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I don't know either so will need to do some homework before I go.
    I listened to quite a lot of Palestrina, once upon a time (I tried Bruckner because I like Wagner and Mahler; liked Bruckner; tried Palestrina because I liked Bruckner), and found it difficult to enjoy. I did once sit next to a lady at a Vivaldi concert, whose theory was that people either loved or hated Palestrina - nobody feels merely lukewarm about him.

8. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eugene Onegin on Wednesday and Rosenkavalier opening night on Thursday, I'm very much looking forward to these!

10. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    5/4 - Götterdämmerung - Houston
    Goerke, O'Neill, Barton, Purves - Whoooo!!! Really looking forward to my first live "dämmerung". This should be a spectacular show. If opera is my religion, it's fitting I'll spend 6 hours in the opera house on 'National Prayer Day'.

5/10 - Entfuhrung aus dem Serail - Houston
    Shagimuratova, Brownlee, Speedo Green - This is the "Orient Express" version of Seraglio that's played in Houston before and in L.A. Since I'm a newb at the HGO, and I'm game for untraditional staging concepts - and with this cast - it's a perfect show for me!

5/20 - La hija de Rappaccini - San Antonio
    Alamo City Opera is the smaller of the two fledgling companies in S.A.; as opera companies go, they are super micro-budget. But I saw a 70-minute version of Acis & Galatea last year that was really cleverly-staged, fun, energetic, and well-sung. So, high hopes for this beautiful, impressionistic, contemporary opera from Mexican composer Daniel Catán.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    5/4 - Götterdämmerung - Houston
    Goerke, O'Neill, Barton, Purves - Whoooo!!! Really looking forward to my first live "dämmerung". This should be a spectacular show. If opera is my religion, it's fitting I'll spend 6 hours in the opera house on 'National Prayer Day'.

5/10 - Entfuhrung aus dem Serail - Houston
    Shagimuratova, Brownlee, Speedo Green - This is the "Orient Express" version of Seraglio that's played in Houston before and in L.A. Since I'm a newb at the HGO, and I'm game for untraditional staging concepts - and with this cast - it's a perfect show for me!

5/20 - La hija de Rappaccini - San Antonio
    Alamo City Opera is the smaller of the two fledgling companies in S.A.; as opera companies go, they are super micro-budget. But I saw a 70-minute version of Acis & Galatea last year that was really cleverly-staged, fun, energetic, and well-sung. So, high hopes for this beautiful, impressionistic, contemporary opera from Mexican composer Daniel Catán.
    Great lineup with great casts (at least in the top 2). Enjoy!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carmen at NZ Opera next month. Not the most exciting of choices but two redeeming features:

1. Tom Randle as Don José. I've had such a crush ever since he stalked through ENO's Fairy Queen as Oberon. And he has done stirling work ever since in such varied operas as the Rake's Progress, The death of Klinghoffer, Le Vin Herbé, Tamerlano, Gloriana, and Saint François d'Assise. Very excited to hear him in person.

2. I'm taking my young colleague to the opera for the first time. I reckon Carmen is a good choice for a young woman as the story is exciting, the tunes memorable and it has a feisty heroine. She's also lived in Spain so that's a bonus.

(BTW I bought two tickets for my daughters to go to Ed Sheeran today as well. Two Stalls tickets to the opera cost NZ$230. Two standing tickets to Ed Sheeran cost NZ$336. Elitist much?)
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; May 23rd, 2017 at 07:40 AM.
    Natalie

14. Likes Clayton, Nemorino, Dichteurehalle, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Carmen at NZ Opera next month. Not the most exciting of choices but two redeeming features:

1. Tom Randle as Don José. I've had such a crush ever since he stalked through ENO's Fairy Queen as Oberon. And he has done stirling work ever since in such varied operas as the Rake's Progress, The death of Klinghoffer, Le Vin Herbé, Tamerlano, Gloriana, and Saint François d'Assise. Very excited to hear him in person.

2. I'm taking my young colleague to the opera for the first time. I reckon Carmen is a good choice for a young woman as the story is exciting, the tunes memorable and it has a feisty heroine. She's also lived in Spain so that's a bonus.
    Excellent choice for both reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    (BTW I bought two tickets for my daughters to go to Ed Sheeran today as well. Two Stalls tickets to the opera cost NZ$230. Two standing tickets to Ed Sheeran cost NZ$336. Elitist much?)
    People have this idea that opera tickets are expensive which is a shame.

16. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Junior Member Recent member leonora's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The RING in Bayreuth!!!

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coming up this month: Puccini’s La Bohčme with Nicole Cabell and Sean Panikkar on the 15th and Robert Xavier Rodriguez’s Frida on the 23rd, both at the Cincinnati Opera.

19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Otello (final dress rehearsal of) on 17 July.

Very strange thing happened re Ludovic Tézier as Iago. The comments are interesting and in the link to Tézier's Twitter account, he says he didn't cancel.

I'm disappointed as I've seen Marco Vratogna and I don't like his voice at all. He just shouts.

21. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curious . . . I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping der Jonas stays healthy. (He recently gave a Lieder concert at Hamburg's new Elbphilharmonie.)

23. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast