Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Weather

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Weather

    As the DC Metro area is on the verge of getting slammed by a ridiculously huge blizzard - potentially the largest snowfall here in more than a 100 years, forecast to be in the range of 24 - 30". The thing is supposed to start mid-afternoon today and last through late tomorrow (Saturday) night.

    I made a last outing to (a well-attended) Starbucks earlier this morning. Everything will be shutting down for the weekend. Grocery stores have been stripped, the Washington Metro (subway) system will close tonight at 11:00 pm thru at least Monday morning for the first time and the Smithsonian also will close for the weekend (it typically only closes for Christmas Day).

    Generally, large snowstorms here have been a serious inconvenience at worst, but heavy snowfall in the past has not exceeded 18 - 19" in the forty years I've lived here. This will be a whole new experience (I don't even recall anything in this range when I was growing up in upstate New York) and I am only hoping that power outages A)manage to pass by my building completely and, B)if/when they do occur, are limited in duration.

    Keep your fingers crossed. And, Luiz, if you and the Countess do decide to drive to NYC on Monday, please be careful!

  2. #2
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,617
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds very serious indeed. The weather forecast for Washington DC is making the news over here so it must be bad.

    Hope if there are any power outages they don't last long and hope you stay safe and warm.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  3. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  4. #3
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having a lot of experience with large snowfalls during my years living in Northern Michigan, the only comforting thoughts I have to offer are (1) there do not appear to be consecutive snow events in your future, such as a solid month of continuous snow; (2) moderating temps look promising in the DC area following the snow, and (3) two adages apply: "what is, is" and "you can run but you can't hide"! Hopefully, your supply of recoded opera and adult beverages will outlast the storm.

  5. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  6. #4
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    Having a lot of experience with large snowfalls during my years living in Northern Michigan, the only comforting thoughts I have to offer are (1) there do not appear to be consecutive snow events in your future, such as a solid month of continuous snow; (2) moderating temps look promising in the DC area following the snow, and (3) two adages apply: "what is, is" and "you can run but you can't hide"! Hopefully, your supply of recoded opera and adult beverages will outlast the storm.
    And your power. Charge up your devices!
    Natalie

  7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  8. #5
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    And your power. Charge up your devices!
    I'm actually a lot more worried about NFL Football than opera, regarding power failures. As you know sports are a big interest of mine besides opera, and this Sunday we are having what amounts to the semi-finals for our most popular sport (we call them the Conference Championship games - the winners then face each other in the Super Bowl, which is the title game). We are in the middle of an ice storm and if ice accumulates on power lines bringing them down, our neighborhood might lack power, taking down my TV and my Internet. To make it worse, the team I'm passionate about is one of the semi-finalists (the Carolina Panthers).

    I tried to prepare in advance with iPhone streaming options (supposing that the phone towers will hold) but unfortunately the official live streaming for my team's game is on a platform that I'm not authorized to see given that my pay TV provider does not participate. Darn!

    I did find a convoluted way. The league itself has a streaming service that shows a replay of the games on the iPhone after they end. I subscribed to it for a free 7-day trial which covers these games (then I'll cancel) but the trick will be that I'll have to avoid spoilers. Fortunately if there is no power, spoiler sources will be off as well (without TV and Internet). But these games last for 3+ hours each and I just hope my iPhone battery will hold - probably it won't because streaming is a high power consuming task. The ultimate solution, I could run the phone on my car's battery with a car charger which I do have. My car however only powers up the charger if it is running. I might need to be in a freezing garage with the door open (so that CO2 doesn't accumulate) running the stationary car to power up the heating system and the phone, for 7+ hours!!! Oh wait, it's not so bad. I can watch on the phone battery for as long as it lasts, then move to the car when it dies out.

    My big worry is that in this streaming service from the league, you have to navigate to it from inside an app called NFL Mobile. I've never done it (just subscribed right now) and most likely the first few screens before I get to this service (called NFL Game Pass) will have in big letters who won the game.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 22nd, 2016 at 11:41 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  9. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
  10. #6
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like


    I re-read the post twice and have no idea what it says. Something about football and streaming when there's no power. I think all that is above my pay-grade.

  11. #7
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post


    I re-read the post twice and have no idea what it says. Something about football and streaming when there's no power. I think all that is above my pay-grade.
    I think it means he is so bonkers about men running around with a little ball that he is willing to spend hours watching them on a tiny screen in a freezing garage with a car belching out exhaust fumes.
    Natalie

  12. #8
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Man! There goes the (operatic) neighborhood!!

    Football, for goodnes' sakes!! What's next???

    Wresting???

  13. Likes Povero Buoso, Hoffmann liked this post
  14. #9
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    Oh Man! There goes the (operatic) neighborhood!!

    Football, for goodnes' sakes!! What's next???

    Wresting???
    Like I've said many times, what's wrong with football? It is way less violent than opera!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  15. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  16. #10
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I think it means he is so bonkers about men running around with a little ball that he is willing to spend hours watching them on a tiny screen in a freezing garage with a car belching out exhaust fumes.
    That's exactly what it means!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  17. #11
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    The big storm, dubbed "Snowzilla" by the locals here (and, they are running out of names, what with Snowmageddon and Snowpocalypse already spoken for), finally ended - winds died down and all - by the time I went to bed last night. Final snowfall varied by locality, up to 30" in some places, but measuring only 17.8" at Reagan National Airport, which is about a mile away as the crow flies.

    I should add that the "Washington Post" indicates there is some question about this measurement as the airport apparently did not use the standard methodology for snow measuring - they did not show any measured snow for a period when it still snowed for several hours in immediate area. For our purposes, then, the total likely is about 20".

    I hate to admit that I'm a bit of a weather nerd, so spent most of the day watching the Weather Channel on the tube rather than listening to opera. There weren't all that many power outages in the area - for a change. It's a local scandal that the DC, Virginia and Maryland power companies typically seem to go offline if someone sneezes too hard.

    Everything was closed - stores, Metro/subway, Smithsonian, monuments - even Starbucks, and I don't have a dog, so no reason to go outside yesterday. Instead, I stayed inside and ate too much, including a beloved but artery-clogging grilled cheese sandwich (which I rarely indulge in these days) and a Pilsner:


    Name:  IMG_0650.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  45.0 KB

    I finished the evening with a batch of bad sci-fi movies, which I probably should list over in "Guilty Pleasure Confessions". The "Washington Post" includes a number of photos in their online copy this morning - I'll give you the link to a few that morph into before and after shots if you use your cursor to slide the frame back and forth.

    http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/pag...nd-after/1939/


    FYI: The photos include:

    1. Iwo Jima Marine Memorial
    2. U.S. Capitol
    3. Arlington National Cemetery
    4. Korean War Memorial
    5. Lincoln Memorial
    6. WW II Memorial
    Last edited by Hoffmann; January 24th, 2016 at 02:22 PM.

  18. #12
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,617
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    The big storm, dubbed "Snowzilla" by the locals here (and, they are running out of names, what with Snowmageddon and Snowpocalypse already spoken for), finally ended - winds died down and all - by the time I went to bed last night. Final snowfall varied by locality, up to 30" in some places, but measuring only 17.8" at Reagan National Airport, which is about a mile away as the crow flies.

    I should add that the "Washington Post" indicates there is some question about this measurement as the airport apparently did not use the standard methodology for snow measuring - they did not show any measured snow for a period when it still snowed for several hours in immediate area. For our purposes, then, the total likely is about 20".

    I hate to admit that I'm a bit of a weather nerd, so spent most of the day watching the Weather Channel on the tube rather than listening to opera. There weren't all that many power outages in the area - for a change. It's a local scandal that the DC, Virginia and Maryland power companies typically seem to go offline if someone sneezes too hard.

    Everything was closed - stores, Metro/subway, Smithsonian, monuments - even Starbucks, and I don't have a dog, so no reason to go outside yesterday. Instead, I stayed inside and ate too much, including a beloved but artery-clogging grilled cheese sandwich (which I rarely indulge in these days) and a Pilsner:


    Name:  IMG_0650.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  45.0 KB


    I finished the evening with a batch of bad sci-fi movies, which I probably should list over in "Guilty Pleasure Confessions". The "Washington Post" includes a number of photos in their online copy this morning - I'll give you the link to a few that morph into before and after shots if you use your cursor to slide the frame back and forth.

    http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/pag...nd-after/1939/


    FYI: The photos include:

    1. Iwo Jima Marine Memorial
    2. U.S. Capitol
    3. Arlington National Cemetery
    4. Korean War Memorial
    5. Lincoln Memorial
    6. WW II Memorial
    Super review of your enforced incarceration and the before and after photos are fascinating.

    You'll need to schedule some long walks to counteract the grilled cheese sandwich!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  19. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  20. #13
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,617
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would appear that cooking and on-line shopping have helped the cabin-fever.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  21. #14
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    It would appear that cooking and on-line shopping have helped the cabin-fever.

    It's true! In addition to the grilled cheese sandwich, I also made chicken with lemon and olives. I usually only make it for company, but decided I would have plenty of time - not that it is all that complicated, mind you!

  22. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  23. #15
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    510
    Post Thanks / Like
    The weather in Cornwall isn't even exciting like snow is. It's just coldish, wet and windy. My current umbrella is the first one to last more than a few months down here.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS