Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: 2016/2017 Season

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    The Cincinnati Opera has finally announced its 2017 season, which will consist of only three operas instead of the usual four. There are two standard repertoire favorites: La Boheme, in a production imported from the ENO and with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra’s Music Director, Louis Langrée, conducting his band; and Barrie Kosky’s production of Die Zauberflöte from the Komische Oper Berlin. The remaining work is the Spanish-language version of Robert Xavier Rodriguez’s Frida, based on the life of Mexican poet Frida Kahlo, which had its world premiere in Philadelphia in 1991 (the original libretto is in English). Otherwise, there’s the season-opening freebie concert in Washington Park, what the CO’s announcement terms “a special presentation of Song from the Uproar in partnership with concert:nova,” as well as some other special events. I’m trying to keep a positive outlook on this. Though the CO performed Die Zauberflöte only a few years ago (with Nicole Cabell and Shawn Matthey in the leads), it’s one of my favorite operas, and Kosky’s production got rave reviews from Opernwelt and Das Opernglas when it premiered. I’ll be curious to find out who the cast members are for both the Mozart and the Puccini. I’ll do some snooping around on the web to see if there are any video clips of Frida or of Catalina Cuervo, who will be singing the title role here.
    Good for CO that they will be importing the Komische Oper's Die Zauberflöte! I've wanted to see it, but it hasn't been scheduled when I've been in Berlin.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    NZ Symphony orchestra's opera in concert next year is Berlioz La Damnation de Faust, with Eric Owens and Andrew Staples. Hurray!
    Natalie

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m in luck – there are quite a few clips from Frida, thanks to the Michigan Opera Theater production that also starred Catalina Cuervo.

It’s clear from these that she has a beautiful soprano, and gorgeous looks to go with it. I’m just not quite certain why the CO has decided to use the Spanish translation that was prepared for the 2007 Festival de Mayo in Guadalajara instead of the original English, especially since Ms. Cuervo has no difficulties handling the English dialogue. Of course, Frida Kahlo was Mexican, but by that logic, all of the operas dealing with British monarchs should all be performed in English, those dealing with Roman emperors in Latin, Verdi’s Don Carlos in Spanish (except for the Fontainebleau act, which should be in French), and the original version of his Un Ballo in Maschera in Swedish. (Heaven only knows what we’d do with Handel’s Serse!)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    NZ opera doing much better this year:

The Mikado GILBERT & SULLIVAN
    Carmen BIZET
    Kátya Kabanová JANÁČEK
    The Bone Feeder - a new NZ opera by Gareth Farr incorporating Western, Māori and Chinese instruments.
    Manon Lescaut in concert (unfortunately the tenor is Massimo Giordano who should really be called Minimo Giordano as he is not that good)
    The Damnation of Faust in concert with Eric Owens
    Natalie

5. Likes MAuer, Festat, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm worried about the 2017 season here in São Paulo. 2016 already saw a shrink from the usual 10 productions to only 4, and I don't think things are looking up...

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    NZ opera doing much better this year:

The Mikado GILBERT & SULLIVAN
    Carmen BIZET
    Kátya Kabanová JANÁČEK
    The Bone Feeder - a new NZ opera by Gareth Farr incorporating Western, Māori and Chinese instruments.
    Manon Lescaut in concert (unfortunately the tenor is Massimo Giordano who should really be called Minimo Giordano as he is not that good)
    The Damnation of Faust in concert with Eric Owens
    Better!

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    I'm worried about the 2017 season here in São Paulo. 2016 already saw a shrink from the usual 10 productions to only 4, and I don't think things are looking up...
    You must be talking of the Municipal, but the Theatro São Pedro has many more, no?
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); October 23rd, 2016 at 02:38 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    You must be talking of the Municipal, but the Theatro São Pedro has many more, no?
    Things are not looking good there either. In June they cancelled O espelho (would be a world premiere) and replaced the programmed Trovatore with Gianni Schicchi. Now they cancelled Gianni Schicchi all together. Season will end with only 4 staged operas out of the planned 6: Don Quichotte, Adriana Lecouvreur, Der Zwerg and Where the Wild Things Are.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that the opera season in São Paulo looks to be so disappointing.

We've had a similar thing here in DC, though no where nearly as drastic, when our season was cut after the big recession from 7 productions down to 5. Not to mention that current WNO management has elected to make 2 of those 5 productions contemporary/new operas. Oh, and those remaining 3 productions are the most notorious of all warhorses staged in the most traditional settings: Carmen, Daughter of the Regiment, Madama Butterfly, La Boheme, etc., and that's just this and last season.

We did have a pretty good Le Nozze di Figaro a couple of weeks ago - it was good but not great. A cheap looking production that was adapted from Zambello's Glimmerglass Festival (so had been designed for a stage only 1/3 the size of the Kennedy Center) and with rather cheap looking costumes.

Like all U.S. arts, WNO does not receive government subsidies, so is entirely supported by ticket sales and private donations. There are some seriously rich patrons supporting WNO (Mars family of M&Ms and Snickers candy bar fame, for one), so hard to know why productions seem so flimsy these days. I suppose it doesn't help that I go out of my way to visit opera houses that do nothing but opera and frequently stage ingenious productions, which might work to shade my criticism of local efforts.

11. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Junior Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Saekyung Rim made her debut as Tosca in that season:

She is mostly singing Aida and Butterfly in Europe.

13. Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingvar View Post
    Saekyung Rim made her debut as Tosca in that season
    It was her European debut at the Wiener Staatsoper. She sang Tosca in Seoul in 2011.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really related but she looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    Not really related but she looks great.
    Such things can lead to a lifetime interest.
    I would rather go and see her than Adriana Pieszonka who she replaced in any role maybe not Halka.
    I wish all Italian women looked like that in real life.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12