Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016/2017 Season

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    That doesn't bode well for my order for tickets to the Bayerische Staatsoper's Die Meistersinger in June, where JK is scheduled to sing Walther. It's far enough out that he might be recovered by then, of course, and the German opera houses are half the size or even smaller than the Met, so easier on his voice, but still...

Munich won't start to sort out the ticket orders until 4 March, so won't know for a while if we even have tickets.
    If you've got the stomach to wade through the vitriol and the spite on here, you may pick up on suggestions that for family reasons, JK would now prefer to sing nearer home. I know that's just speculation but if this is the case, you might be lucky.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

2. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That doesn't bode well for my order for tickets to the Bayerische Staatsoper's Die Meistersinger in June, where JK is scheduled to sing Walther. It's far enough out that he might be recovered by then, of course, and the German opera houses are half the size or even smaller than the Met, so easier on his voice, but still...

Munich won't start to sort out the ticket orders until 4 March, so won't know for a while if we even have tickets.
    Oh the thought of going to hear JK as Walther sounds so wonderful it brings tears to my eyes.

I hope you do get the tickets.

4. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    If you've got the stomach to wade through the vitriol and the spite on here, you may pick up on suggestions that for family reasons, JK would now prefer to sing nearer home. I know that's just speculation but if this is the case, you might be lucky.
    When you said "vitriol and spite" I immediately knew where here was, hehe.
    Natalie

6. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    When you said "vitriol and spite" I immediately knew where here was, hehe.

It didn't occur to me what you guys were referring to so, of course, had to step into the abyss.

Anyway, since I know the circumstances regarding Jonas Kaufmann's withdrawal from the Met's upcoming Manon Lescaut, I refreshed the website to see what else might be happening that I've missed.

They have posted a very interesting article/opinion piece (from the "New York Times") on Fabio Luisi's not renewing his contract with the Met for the next couple of seasons, ostensibly because he is so busy, but also because James Levine's health has (somewhat) improved. Reading through, I also caught this tidbit: The Met apparently will be staging a new production of Rossini's Guillaume Tell next season!

I wonder who is scheduled to sing. I wonder when tickets go on sale...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/07/ar...ver-it-is.html

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of conductors and music directors Tony's contract at the ROH expires in 2017. Hope he decides to stay on even though that would mean he'd have the longest tenure of any of the ROH music directors. Some peoples speculation that the Met are interested in him have me quite worried...
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

9. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's also the music director of the orchestra and chorus of Rome's Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia -- and London is much closer to Rome than New York is. Just my guess, but I suspect odds favor Sir Tony remaining at the ROH rather than replacing Levine at the Met (if that new medication doesn't work as Levine and his doctors hope).

11. Likes Povero Buoso liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    He's also the music director of the orchestra and chorus of Rome's Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia -- and London is much closer to Rome than New York is. Just my guess, but I suspect odds favor Sir Tony remaining at the ROH rather than replacing Levine at the Met (if that new medication doesn't work as Levine and his doctors hope).
    This was my hope. To be honest Tony is still not old by any means yet and it would not be unreasonable in my opinion for him to do another decade at the ROH given his enjoyment of the role (from what I've seen) and his commitments with Rome!

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The San Francisco Opera has just released details of their 2016-17 season:

http://sfopera.com/1617-season/

14. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a superb production of Don Pasquale which is a co-production with Santa Fe Opera I saw in 2014, but with a different cast. Lawrence Brownlee should be terrific, but I don't think is as lively an actor/comedian as is Alek Shrader, who sang Ernesto in Santa Fe. I also don't know Heidi Stober (Norina) - we saw Brenda Rae, who was outstanding.

The good news is SF's season doesn't include anything interesting enough to inspire a trip to San Francisco, which has gotten frightfully expensive.

16. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I lived in the United States I'd agree with Hoffman in the fact there is nothing massively exciting. (I like Rigoletto,La Boheme and Butterfly but not worth a trip due to how often they're performed. Aida is not my favourite Verdi by a long way and Chénier is my least favourite of the popular Verismo Operas). The Andrea Chénier production was shared with Covent Garden and was well done but it's not really an Opera that can be tampered with or updated very easily.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also don't know Heidi Stober (Norina)
    Well, you can get to know her. She is our latest published interviewee. It's right there on the center of the Home page.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

19. Likes Sonata, MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Well, you can get to know her. She is our latest published interviewee. It's right there on the center of the Home page.

Terrific interview, thanks. Heidi is a woman with very smart and thoughtful perspectives on opera as a profession and business. I was fascinated by your discussion on musicals (and loved that you disagreed with her and her smart reply). I also laughed out loud (!) when, in your discussion about her marrying into her profession, you dropped that you met the Countess in a psychiatric hospital! All that, and she gets to live in Berlin.

I don't think I've seen her sing in Berlin as yet since what she is singing tend to not be the type of operas I've been seeing - which are on the heavier side of the repertory.
    Last edited by Hoffmann; February 8th, 2016 at 04:20 PM.

21. Thanks Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    The Interview was very interesting. There was a small bit talking about the telecasts that I found interesting. I support them to some degree (so I can see much of the repertory with world class singers and subtitles to find what I like) and they helped me get into opera. However, I think they can be damaging to small local companies.

As for the season in London a first glance reveals nothing of much excitement for me coming out of the ENO (Jenufa, Norma, Ahknaten, Madama Butterfly, The Magic flute and Tristan and Isolde I don't particularly like works being performed in English when they were not written to be often I find it doesn't quite work. In addition Sunset Boulevard is begin performed as well I agree with Luiz on his point about Musicals!*) but some very interesting offerings in my view from Opera Holland Park including Iris by Mascagni (this one would be a must see if I wasn't still at campus) La Cerentola (not a rarity by any means but could be entertaining) and The Queen of Spades (this definitely requires further investigation!). La Boheme and Die Fledermaus round of the set but definitely an interesting selection and a Buoso approved selection of works (no Ba-rock and roll though sorry Clayton!)

* It's Webber as well...

23. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    The Interview was very interesting. There was a small bit talking about the telecasts that I found interesting. I support them to some degree (so I can see much of the repertory with world class singers and subtitles to find what I like) and they helped me get into opera. However, I think they can be damaging to small local companies.

As for the season in London a first glance reveals nothing of much excitement for me coming out of the ENO (Jenufa, Norma, Ahknaten, Madama Butterfly, The Magic flute and Tristan and Isolde I don't particularly like works being performed in English when they were not written to be often I find it doesn't quite work. In addition Sunset Boulevard is begin performed as well I agree with Luiz on his point about Musicals!*) but some very interesting offerings in my view from Opera Holland Park including Iris by Mascagni (this one would be a must see if I wasn't still at campus) La Cerentola (not a rarity by any means but could be entertaining) and The Queen of Spades (this definitely requires further investigation!). La Boheme and Die Fledermaus round of the set but definitely an interesting selection and a Buoso approved selection of works (no Ba-rock and roll though sorry Clayton!)

* It's Webber as well...

I'm not sure how far you are from London, but the Jenufa, I think, is worth considering - the Czech language is difficult to do well if one isn't a native speaker and Akhnaten, I believe, is an English composed opera since Philip Glass is American.

Bard Summerscape in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York, also will be performing Mascagni's Iris in July/August. I've got it on my calendar!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure how far you are from London, but the Jenufa, I think, is worth considering - the Czech language is difficult to do well if one isn't a native speaker and Akhnaten, I believe, is an English composed opera since Philip Glass is American.

Bard Summerscape in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York, also will be performing Mascagni's Iris in July/August. I've got it on my calendar!
    No live opera sadly unless it overlaps with going home for the Easter holidays. It seems that all of London's opera houses have conspired to ensure that only Russian operas and bel canto are available when I go home.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast