Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016/2017 Season

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to Ann for starting this thread, and MAuer for posting the SF Opera's upcoming season for reminding me that it's that time of year when opera houses start posting their planned seasons.

I haven't started looking at the European seasons yet, but did look through the major U.S. companies to see what's coming up. Several big companies haven't posted yet: Met, Houston and WNO.

For those who are interested, here are links to the upcoming season for the companies who have:

Chicago Lyric Opera

http://lyricoperamedia.s3.amazonaws....onBrochure.pdf

Note: Looks like an interesting season, albeit with no new/contemporary operas scheduled. Highlight: A new production of Les Troyens w/Christine Goerke (Cassandre), Sophie Koch (Didon), Brandon Jovanovich (Enee)

The Dallas Opera:

http://dallasopera.org/news/2016/01/...6-2017-season/

2016-2017 DALLAS OPERA SEASON

EUGENE ONEGIN

MOBY-DICK
    (Jake Heggie and Gene Scheer)

MADAME BUTTERFLY

THE TURN OF THE SCREW

NORMA

Note: Onegin stars OL interviewee Ailyn Perez as Tatiana and Stephen Costello as Lensky.

2. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post

The Dallas Opera:

http://dallasopera.org/news/2016/01/...6-2017-season/

2016-2017 DALLAS OPERA SEASON

EUGENE ONEGIN

MOBY-DICK
    (Jake Heggie and Gene Scheer)

MADAME BUTTERFLY

THE TURN OF THE SCREW

NORMA

Note: Onegin stars OL interviewee Ailyn Perez as Tatiana and Stephen Costello as Lensky.
    The cast for Eugene Onegin is superb but I'm surprised to see Ailyn Perez and Stephen Costello on the same bill.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to Ann for starting this thread, and MAuer for posting the SF Opera's upcoming season for reminding me that it's that time of year when opera houses start posting their planned seasons.

I haven't started looking at the European seasons yet, but did look through the major U.S. companies to see what's coming up. Several big companies haven't posted yet: Met, Houston and WNO.

For those who are interested, here are links to the upcoming season for the companies who have:

Chicago Lyric Opera

http://lyricoperamedia.s3.amazonaws....onBrochure.pdf

Note: Looks like an interesting season, albeit with no new/contemporary operas scheduled. Highlight: A new production of Les Troyens w/Christine Goerke (Cassandre), Sophie Koch (Didon), Brandon Jovanovich (Enee)
    Another musical as well...
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    The cast for Eugene Onegin is superb but I'm surprised to see Ailyn Perez and Stephen Costello on the same bill.

I agree. I think it speaks to how long in advance opera productions are booked that these things happen (to those unaware, the two were married but later split).

If you look below, at Santa Fe Opera's schedule for this summer, the same thing happens again, with Perez and Costello scheduled to sing the leads in Gounod's Romeo et Juliette. The scary thing is that, in Santa Fe, the company takes pride in operating as something of a workshop. The season begins in July with a new opera added each week until all 5 productions are running in sequence for two weeks in August. Singers are booked for the season and under contract to be on site. Joyce DiDonato caused a minor scandal some years ago, when she, well, ran off to get married (I don't know that she remains so...).

Santa Fe Opera

http://www.santafeopera.org/tickets/index.aspx

Note: A solid cast for Capriccio with Amanda Majesty, Susan Graham and Eric Owens

Los Angeles Opera

http://www.laopera.org/season/16-17-season/

Note: Looks like LA has an interesting season ahead, although I'm not so sure about Domingo singing Macbeth. Diana Damrau is scheduled to sing all 4 heroines in Tales of Hoffmann.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    IAkhnaten, I believe, is an English composed opera since Philip Glass is American.
    The narration part of Akhnaten has to be sung in the language of wherever it is performed (the rest is in ancient languages). Poor Tim Mead had to learn it in Dutch which is NOT a good language to sing in.

I saw it at ENO in the 80s before I liked it, and now I'm kicking myself that I wasn't ready to appreciate it.
    Natalie

7. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I think it speaks to how long in advance opera productions are booked that these things happen (to those unaware, the two were married but later split).

If you look below, at Santa Fe Opera's schedule for this summer, the same thing happens again, with Perez and Costello scheduled to sing the leads in Gounod's Romeo et Juliette. The scary thing is that, in Santa Fe, the company takes pride in operating as something of a workshop. The season begins in July with a new opera added each week until all 5 productions are running in sequence for two weeks in August. Singers are booked for the season and under contract to be on site. Joyce DiDonato caused a minor scandal some years ago, when she, well, ran off to get married (I don't know that she remains so...).

Santa Fe Opera

http://www.santafeopera.org/tickets/index.aspx
    Awkward!

Los Angeles Opera

http://www.laopera.org/season/16-17-season/

Note: Looks like LA has an interesting season ahead, although I'm not so sure about Domingo singing Macbeth. Diana Damrau is scheduled to sing all 4 heroines in Tales of Hoffmann.
    Hoffmann, will you see Hoffmann? (I've waited a long time to ask you that!)
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

9. Likes MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hoffmann, will you see Hoffmann? (I've waited a long time to ask you that!)

I'm leaving for LA tomorrow morning for a week (temps out there are hovering around 85 F/30 C). I plan to ask my hostess if she would like company for one of the productions there next season - she has had season tickets in the past, but is a real fan of contemporary opera and is disappointed when the pickings are slim, so might not have maintained her tickets. She also is of an age where she prefers to not drive at night which, of course, I can help with.

So, it might be that I end up visiting for Akhnaten rather than Hoffmann, but that also would be ok, since I liked Appomattox so much.

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm leaving for LA tomorrow morning for a week (temps out there are hovering around 85 F/30 C). I plan to ask my hostess if she would like company for one of the productions there next season - she has had season tickets in the past, but is a real fan of contemporary opera and is disappointed when the pickings are slim, so might not have maintained her tickets. She also is of an age where she prefers to not drive at night which, of course, I can help with.

So, it might be that I end up visiting for Akhnaten rather than Hoffmann, but that also would be ok, since I liked Appomattox so much.
    How wonderful!!

And I'm sure the trip next year will be exciting whatever you see.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

13. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    L'Opéra de Paris

Here's a preview.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

15. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    L'Opéra de Paris

Here's a preview.
    What an eclectic mix! Truly something for everyone including baroque fans! (Though I confess I find Cavalleria Rusticana and Sancta Susanna an unusual pairing...)

17. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of a "Catégorie Jonas." I see he'll be making his role debut as Hoffmann in Paris this coming November.

19. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I like the idea of a "Catégorie Jonas." I see he'll be making his role debut as Hoffmann in Paris this coming November.
    I'll believe it when the performance is happening given Der Jonas' tendency towards cancellation.

21. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those lovely people at Bachtrack have put all the goodies on offer in Paris altogether on one page, and in English.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

23. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those lovely people at Bachtrack have put all the goodies on offer in Paris altogether on one page, and in English.
    Wow, what a spectacular season! The Met has a thing or two to learn from Opéra de Paris.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    ***Please could this thread be made sticky***

Dutch National Opera

I wouldn't mind seeing Prince Igor.

Manon Lescaut

... In the novel by Abbé Prévost on which the libretto is based, Manon’s lover Des Grieux tells the story. But here, director Andrea Breth has Manon, sung by Eva-Maria Westbroek, look back on her own life. The starting point for Breth’s Manon Lescaut is the death of Manon in an American desert. In the hallucinations of her last moments, she remembers important episodes from her life.

Mmm. Not sure about this.
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); February 15th, 2016 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Added info
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast