Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016/2017 Season

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    ***Please could this thread be made sticky***
    Done
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Wow, what a spectacular season! The Met has a thing or two to learn from Opéra de Paris.
    It looks like a superb season, indeed! Great casts, interesting directors, etc.

My only question is, I've never heard of Francesconi or his opera Trompe-la-Mort. Sounds like it might be interesting.
    Last edited by Hoffmann; February 17th, 2016 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Ooops. misspelled "Trompe"

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some exciting things from the Met

It takes a while to navigate the site though and to see the cast.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

5. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest I think it's a pretty stodgy season, although I would watch Idomeneo, Guillaume Tell, Tristan und Isolde, and L'Amour de Loin.
    Otherwise it would be star power that would get me - Peter Mattei in Figaro, Dima in Onegin, KFVogt in Fidelio.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good season coming up - maybe even enough there to please Luiz!

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank God, so much better than this season!

Much more balanced, with a bit for everybody including modern and contemporary opera! I'm happy for this season and excited about many of the shows. L'Amour de Loin! Tristan und Isolde! Guillaume Tell! Jenufa! Rusalka!Salome! Der Rosenkavalier! L'Italiana in Algeri! Cyrano de Bergerac!

Nice!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

9. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't make a special trip to New York to attend a performance, but I'm looking forward to the radio broadcast of Fidelio with Adrianne Pieczonka and KFV in the leads. Okay, I'd prefer der Jonas (assuming he didn't get sick again), but Vogt leaves no cause for complaint. Surprised not to see Camilla Nylund listed for Der Rosenkavalier -- perhaps she's cast in performances later in the season.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good season with several of my favourites. Looking forward to the 2017/2018 (or possibly 2018/2019) season and the mandatory met performance (with a telecast!) of Il Trittico which would have its 100th anniversary in 2018.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

12. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No Jenufa or Guillaume Tell in the HD. We get Traviata and Don Giovanni again. Why? Whyyyy?
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    No Jenufa or Guillaume Tell in the HD. We get Traviata and Don Giovanni again. Why? Whyyyy?

Oh Nat. If I win the lottery I'll pay for us all to go to NY and see Jenufa and Tell.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Nat. If I win the lottery I'll pay for us all to go to NY and see Jenufa and Tell.
    Count me in! It would be lovely to see you guys and go to the opera together, again.

But frankly, you don't need to win the lottery. You travel quite extensively all over Europe to see opera, and these days there are affordable direct flights from London to NYC, and even though the city is expensive, I actually don't think it is any more expensive than London. There are some affordable hotel rooms and there are plenty of restaurants with good value.

At least for me - I know New York City very well and London very poorly - I manage to spend much less money in New York City than in London, because in NYC I know where to eat and where to lodge. I am left with the impression that NYC is cheaper than London. Probably for someone who knows London very well it's the other way around. But people can always get advice. Not to forget, I think Met tickets are less expensive than Royal Opera House tickets, in general. I don't even know for sure but I have this impression. And they are also easier to get.

I'd assume that you wouldn't spend significantly more traveling to NYC for opera as opposed to traveling to Germany, France, or Austria.

And for Nat, Europe is kind of just as far as America. Traveling anywhere from New Zealand is... well, far. So, it's just a question of turning the airplane in another direction.

16. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Live streaming from Glyndebourne this season will include Die Meistersinger, yay! And a Berlioz opera I've never seen on stage (I do have it on CD). Since I love Berlioz, I'll make a point of watching that. Plus, the lovely Danielle de Niese as Rosina. Nice!

[clickly]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post

I wondered what will be playing in HD. You're right, though - it's downright weird that Tell, anyway, won't be in HD.

I've got to figure out my travel plans for next season. Unfortunately, Tell is scheduled for October which is close to peak season in NYC. Hotel prices tend to be frightful in October.

- - - Updated - - -

Count me in! It would be lovely to see you guys and go to the opera together, again.

But frankly, you don't need to win the lottery. You travel quite extensively all over Europe to see opera, and these days there are affordable direct flights from London to NYC, and even though the city is expensive, I actually don't think it is any more expensive than London. There are some affordable hotel rooms and there are plenty of restaurants with good value.

At least for me - I know New York City very well and London very poorly - I manage to spend much less money in New York City than in London, because in NYC I know where to eat and where to lodge. I am left with the impression that NYC is cheaper than London. Probably for someone who knows London very well it's the other way around. But people can always get advice. Not to forget, I think Met tickets are less expensive than Royal Opera House tickets, in general. I don't even know for sure but I have this impression. And they are also easier to get.

I'd assume that you wouldn't spend significantly more traveling to NYC for opera as opposed to traveling to Germany, France, or Austria.

And for Nat, Europe is kind of just as far as America. Traveling anywhere from New Zealand is... well, far. So, it's just a question of turning the airplane in another direction.

You can sign me up as well! I'm already licking my chops over the thought of Guillaume Tell - I never thought I'd see the day the Met broke down and staged it. I only hope they don't decide to cut it down to size.

19. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will go to NY one day, not at the moment though.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I wondered what will be playing in HD. You're right, though - it's downright weird that Tell, anyway, won't be in HD.

I've got to figure out my travel plans for next season. Unfortunately, Tell is scheduled for October which is close to peak season in NYC. Hotel prices tend to be frightful in October.

- - - Updated - - -

You can sign me up as well! I'm already licking my chops over the thought of Guillaume Tell - I never thought I'd see the day the Met broke down and staged it. I only hope they don't decide to cut it down to size.
    It'll have Gerald Finley in it so one thing will be perfect anyway.
    Natalie

22. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast