Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1786
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,992
    Post Thanks / Like
    I knew I had to get this especially because of Mariella Devia:
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  2. #1787
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    And it's excellent in all respects!!

  3. Likes Florestan liked this post
  4. #1788
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unbelievable. I really can't believe myself myself.

    Saariaho: L'Amour de loin
    Directed by Peter Sellars
    Dawn Upshaw, Monica Groop & Gerald Finley
    Finnish National Opera, Esa-Pekka Salonen

    Name:  L'Amour de loin - Esa-Pekka Salonen 2000 Finnish National Opera.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  45.8 KB

    note to Hoffmann
    Don't bother with the DVD machine unless you want to experiment with self (financial) harm

  5. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
  6. #1789
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,992
    Post Thanks / Like
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  7. #1790
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Unbelievable. I really can't believe myself myself.

    Saariaho: L'Amour de loin
    Directed by Peter Sellars
    Dawn Upshaw, Monica Groop & Gerald Finley
    Finnish National Opera, Esa-Pekka Salonen

    Name:  L'Amour de loin - Esa-Pekka Salonen 2000 Finnish National Opera.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  45.8 KB

    note to Hoffmann
    Don't bother with the DVD machine unless you want to experiment with self (financial) harm
    Is this destined, then, for the dust heap of the tea cabinet of history? It's Peter Sellars - it can't be all bad!

  8. #1791
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Is this destined, then, for the dust heap of the tea cabinet of history? It's Peter Sellars - it can't be all bad!
    I haven't received it yet, hopefully it will come sometime next week. The reviews make it sound very exciting.

  9. #1792
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  Cardillac.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  28.6 KB


    Well, I thought, why not?


    Name:  LaCenerentolaAbbado.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  26.8 KB


    and, because a number of folks highly recommend it - I caved and have now added this version.

  10. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla, Florestan, Clayton liked this post
  11. #1793
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought there was another curve ball there, then I read

    ...the libretto based on the short story Das Fräulein von Scuderi by E.T.A. Hoffmann...



    I look forward to hearing your comments on both

  12. #1794
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I thought there was another curve ball there, then I read

    ...the libretto based on the short story Das Fräulein von Scuderi by E.T.A. Hoffmann...



    I look forward to hearing your comments on both

    A very talented guy, that E.T.A. Hoffmann!

  13. #1795
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Natalie

  14. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  15. #1796
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I would do a double-like if it would let me!

    Please let me know your thoughts on these. I am signed up to see concert versions of Semiramide and La Favorite next season, but despair of ever seeing either of them properly staged.

  16. #1797
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I would do a double-like if it would let me!

    Please let me know your thoughts on these. I am signed up to see concert versions of Semiramide and La Favorite next season, but despair of ever seeing either of them properly staged.
    I've seen this production of La favorite on Arte or somewhere and thought it was good enough to get the DVD - great cast, good straightforward production.
    Natalie

  17. #1798
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,992
    Post Thanks / Like
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  18. #1799
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Is this destined, then, for the dust heap of the tea cabinet of history? It's Peter Sellars - it can't be all bad!
    It's simply excellent, in my opinion. Sublime. A masterpiece. Just slightly less good than Written on Skin, and therefore the second best contemporary opera, these days. It will be given at the Met in a future season (I believe, in the 2016-17 season).
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  19. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
  20. #1800
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    It's simply excellent, in my opinion. Sublime. A masterpiece. Just slightly less good than Written on Skin, and therefore the second best contemporary opera, these days. It will be given at the Met in a future season (I believe, in the 2016-17 season).
    I'm desperate to see in the ENO production, which looks stunning from the photos.





    It's an opera that needs a strong production because the music, although extremely beautiful and hypnotic, somewhat lacks variety; and nothing much happens.
    Natalie

  21. Likes Clayton liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you purchased recently?
    By Clayton in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 312
    Last Post: November 19th, 2017, 07:24 PM
  2. I've been fond of drawing beavers recently
    By Aramis in forum Off-topic discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS