Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surfing Amazon, I found a couple of good deals so I upgraded the ROF Zelmira to Blu ray ($20) and added the Parma Barbiere with Kolchack and Ketevan Kemoklidze in Blu ray (9.95!!). So next week as it (hopefully) warms up, the neighbors and I can enjoy more Rossini.

My enthusiasm for the ROF Guillaume Tell continues to escalate!

2. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just listened to clips of the Klemperer Fidelio and it is phenomenal. I just ordered a copy.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may regret this, but I just shelled out some lira for the new boxed set of little known Rossini operas (Sigismondo, Demitrio e Polibio, Adelaide di Borgogna and Le Comte Ory [the last not "little known"]) from the ROF in Blu ray. The trailer hooked me. I'll comment on receipt and viewing.

Woe is ME!!

I may need the equivalent of the Betty Ford Clinic if this keeps up!

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    I may regret this, but I just shelled out some lira for the new boxed set of little known Rossini operas (Sigismondo, Demitrio e Polibio, Adelaide di Borgogna and Le Comte Ory [the last not "little known"]) from the ROF in Blu ray. The trailer hooked me. I'll comment on receipt and viewing.

Woe is ME!!

Are they new productions or at least new releases, or did they already exist isolated?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Woe is ME!!

Welcome to the CBRCDC (Compulsive Blu Ray Collecting Disorder Club)
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post

Welcome to the CBRCDC (Compulsive Blu Ray Collecting Disorder Club)
    Only as applies to opera, Ms. Annie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Are they new productions or at least new releases, or did they already exist isolated?
    Luiz, they all exist as individual issues, but the combined prices of the singles is nearly twice that of the boxed set. And, yes, I did check reviews before buying. I'm not that addicted.

Yet.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, this is the one: [clicky]

Where is the trailer? Do you have a link to the trailer?

Edit - never mind, I see that on the Amazon page the trailer is included.

I own two of these releases, and they are good - the Adelaide, and the Sigismondo.

This Le Comte Ory, though, seems awful in terms of the singing, especially given that we have two other DVDs of this piece, each with outstanding singers. You might want to think twice about it. This Demetrio e Polibio could be good, though, so if you don't have the isolated releases, might get 3 good and 1 bad but for the price of two good. But see, 119 bucks is actually the price of three, I'd say. You sure it's a good buy?

Oh wait, I think I own three of them, also the Demetrio. I'm getting confused. I should go see the Rossini thread and find out more precisely what I thought of them. I remember I didn't like the Sigismondo but just because of the biased portrayal of psychiatric patients, while Olga is stunning in it. Wait, let me check.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); April 26th, 2015 at 06:02 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    The cost was $83 from an amazon seller.

Post Thanks / Like
    The cost was $83 from an amazon seller.
    Nice cost.

OK, I went back and perused rapidly my three reviews. The Adelaide I gave an A for the production and singing but didn't like the opera so much - not a problem for you, I think, because I understand you like the opera. The Demetrio I thought was pretty bad, actually, and gave it a C+. The Sigismondo I plain said Not recommended but confessed that it was due to my psychiatric bias, and acknowledged that the artists were good.

So, if you go by me, two are good, the Demetrio not as much, and I strongly suspect this Ory, so you might get two good out of the four...

Of course you don't need to go by me, and maybe you'll like all four. Can't beat the price, you're right about that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Plus the ... assets: Jessica Pratt (assets to spare!), Olga Peretyatko, etc. And tenor Yijie Shi, who I like quite a bit.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plus the ... assets: Jessica Pratt (assets to spare!), Olga Peretyatko, etc. And tenor Yijie Shi, who I like quite a bit.
    Ooh! I like Jessica Pratt's asset. I'm talking about her asset of a great vocal talent.

Name:  La sposa di Messina - Antonino Fogliani 2009, Jessica Pratt, Filippo Adami, Armando Ariostini, W.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  55.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Ooh! I like Jessica Pratt's asset. I'm talking about her asset of a great vocal talent.

Name:  La sposa di Messina - Antonino Fogliani 2009, Jessica Pratt, Filippo Adami, Armando Ariostini, W.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  55.0 KB
    Jessica Pratt is a phenomenal singer. I liked her a lot in our interview with her, in terms of intelligence and courage. She does have other cough cough assets so she is the full package.

Post Thanks / Like
    And packaged fully!!!!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Re JonGerald's box set: I love the Sigismondo - Olga and Daniela are absolutely stonking; and the Adelaide is well done. The Comte Ory is Ok but it relies on that overused trope of a play within a play which really is not necessary, though Yijie Shi is good as the Comte. If I was going for a new Comte Ory I'd choose the recent one from Zurich with Ceci, or the Met one, but my favourite is still the old production from Glyndebourne which had me in stitches.
    Natalie