Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Just ordered after stumbling across it online. I have many Fidelio sets (and Leonore) but couldn't resist with Waltraud Meier (Domingo is a bonus too):

I'll have to look for that one. I've got one Fidelio (Met/Vickers/Nilsson) which is ok, but the sound is only ok. But, Waltraud Meier? That's irresistible!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I'll have to look for that one. I've got one Fidelio (Met/Vickers/Nilsson) which is ok, but the sound is only ok. But, Waltraud Meier? That's irresistible!
    Just read the commentary because this one is not normal. Reviews were somewhat mixed, the Amazon description (different CD cover) included that Meier was off key, but some reviewers said otherwise. It is minus all spoken dialog and includes all the Leonore overtures with the package. Meier's voice has been described as not so beautiful, but then so has Callas'. We'll see. I do know that Domingo will be fantastic. Here are the clips. It actually starts with Leonore #2 and the other Leonore's and Fidelio overtures are at the end. No matter, I bought it for Meier and the only other place it seems you can get her is Wagner or Mahler, though I do have her in a DVD of the opera Martha (Flotow).

My top Fidelio recommendation is Bernstein with Janowitz and Popp (CD and DVD).
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

3. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Likes Clayton, Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Porpora: Orlando
    Robert Expert (Orlando), Olga Pitarch (Medoro), Bertsabée Haas (Angelica)
    Real Compañía Ópera de Cámara, Juan Bautista Otero

Name:  Orlando - Juan Bautista Otero 2005.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  59.9 KB

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scarlatti, A: Carlo re d'Allemagna
    Romina Basso (King Lotario of Germany), Roberta Invernizzi (Queen Giuditta, dowager empress), Marina de Liso (Princess Gildippe, her daughter), Marianne Beate Kielland (Prince Adalgiso, son of Lotario), Carlo Vincenzo Allemano (Berardo, a knight), José Maria Lo Monaco (Asparando, a traitor), Damian Pinti (Amilla) & Roberto Abbondonza (Bleso).
    Stavanger Symphony Orchestra, Fabio Biondi

Handel - Mezzo Soprano Opera Arias. Max Emanuel Cencic; I Barocchisti, Diego Fasolis

Handel: Arias. Alice Coote; The English Concert, Harry Bicket

Natalie

6. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Note to Soave_Fanciulla: please add Terradellas' Artaserse to your buy basket (if you have not already heard it), it is covered with full Clayton guarantee. I rate it as AAA stock, very beautiful melodies, belcanto arias and fantastic orchestration. This is all performed with excellent cast (including the wonderful Sunhae Im in her very best performance) and is absolutely sublime.

I hesitated a little (to make a recommendation) as I had never heard of the composer and the recordings are so few that I wonder why this music is so little heard of. Perhaps academically speaking this is nonsense or old hat (it is the later period of baroque where perhaps more were/are looking for development) but I have heard enough to think it is just beautiful.

Please try if you have not heard it already and let me know whether or not I am just bonkers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Post script

It went straight to the top of Clayton's top opera charts (currently not sponsored) on entry and has held the number one spot since.

Post Thanks / Like

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Note to Soave_Fanciulla: please add Terradellas' Artaserse to your buy basket (if you have not already heard it), it is covered with full Clayton guarantee. I rate it as AAA stock, very beautiful melodies, belcanto arias and fantastic orchestration. This is all performed with excellent cast (including the wonderful Sunhae Im in her very best performance) and is absolutely sublime.

I hesitated a little (to make a recommendation) as I had never heard of the composer and the recordings are so few that I wonder why this music is so little heard of. Perhaps academically speaking this is nonsense or old hat (it is the later period of baroque where perhaps more were/are looking for development) but I have heard enough to think it is just beautiful.

Please try if you have not heard it already and let me know whether or not I am just bonkers.
    It went into the basket THE MINUTE you started raving about it. I never let a chance pass to allow you to drive me to pauperdom.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Telemann: Flavius Bertaridus, König der Longobarden
    Maite Beaumont (Flavius Bertaridus), Nina Bernsteiner (Rodelinda), Ann-Beth Solvang (Flavia), Jürgen Sacher (Orontes), Antonio Abete (Grimoaldus), Katerina Tretyakova (Cunibert), David DQ Lee (Onulfus), Melissa Petit (Regimbert/Schutzgeist)
    Academia Montis Regalis, Alessandro de Marchi
    Live recording 2012

Name:  Flavius Bertaridus - Alessandro de Marchi 2012.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  43.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mazzoni: Aminta
    Anna Maria Panzarella (Aminta), Céline Ricci (Tamiri), Leif Aruhn-Solén (Alessandro), Delphine Gillot (Elisa), Marina Pardot (Agenore)
    Real Compañía Ópera de Cámara, Juan Bautista Otero 2006

Name:  Aminta - Juan Bautista Otero 2006.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  53.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered this one:

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No offence : you should have gone for this one.

15. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    No offence : you should have gone for this one.
    I was well aware that Sills is excellent in this, but the price of the one I got was only $9 shipped vs $30 shipped for the Sills performance on DVD. Also, while Amazon reviews are not necessarily the final word, there were extensive positive reviews on both, with mine having 4.9 stars on 19 reviews. Sills had 4.5 stars on 32 reviews. I would not choose one over the other based on these review numbers. Rather it shows both productions are very good.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I was well aware that Sills is excellent in this, but the price of the one I got was only $9 shipped vs $30 shipped for the Sills performance on DVD. Also, while Amazon reviews are not necessarily the final word, there were extensive positive reviews on both, with mine having 4.9 stars on 19 reviews. Sills had 4.5 stars on 32 reviews. I would not choose one over the other based on these review numbers. Rather it shows both productions are very good.
    I have this one, and while Alexandrina Pendenchanskq (now Alex Penda) is a bit metallic in her high notes, her acting deserves an Academt Award! The tenor (Sabatino?) eclipses John Alexander in the Sills version and the DTS sound is excellent, as well. Having said that, the "Three Queens" CD set with Sills is played all the way through all three operas once a year, and she remains a beloved, talented and gracious performer.

18. Likes Hoffmann, Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    I have this one, and while Alexandrina Pendenchanskq (now Alex Penda) is a bit metallic in her high notes, her acting deserves an Academt Award! The tenor (Sabatino?) eclipses John Alexander in the Sills version and the DTS sound is excellent, as well. Having said that, the "Three Queens" CD set with Sills is played all the way through all three operas once a year, and she remains a beloved, talented and gracious performer.
    Yep, I have the Sills 3 Queens set on CD. Got it for a song ($17 shipped) only flaw is a odor of cigarette smoke. Otherwise they are going for close to $50 shipped used. It was the 3 queens set that motivated me to get this DVD as I already had the other two on DVD.

There is a 4th Donizetti queen opera that I have on CD but apparently there are no DVDs: Elisabetta Al Castello Di Kenilworth