Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1951
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,324
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Just ordered after stumbling across it online. I have many Fidelio sets (and Leonore) but couldn't resist with Waltraud Meier (Domingo is a bonus too):

    I'll have to look for that one. I've got one Fidelio (Met/Vickers/Nilsson) which is ok, but the sound is only ok. But, Waltraud Meier? That's irresistible!

  2. #1952
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I'll have to look for that one. I've got one Fidelio (Met/Vickers/Nilsson) which is ok, but the sound is only ok. But, Waltraud Meier? That's irresistible!
    Just read the commentary because this one is not normal. Reviews were somewhat mixed, the Amazon description (different CD cover) included that Meier was off key, but some reviewers said otherwise. It is minus all spoken dialog and includes all the Leonore overtures with the package. Meier's voice has been described as not so beautiful, but then so has Callas'. We'll see. I do know that Domingo will be fantastic. Here are the clips. It actually starts with Leonore #2 and the other Leonore's and Fidelio overtures are at the end. No matter, I bought it for Meier and the only other place it seems you can get her is Wagner or Mahler, though I do have her in a DVD of the opera Martha (Flotow).

    My top Fidelio recommendation is Bernstein with Janowitz and Popp (CD and DVD).
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  3. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Likes Clayton, Hoffmann liked this post
  4. #1953
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Porpora: Orlando
    Robert Expert (Orlando), Olga Pitarch (Medoro), Bertsabée Haas (Angelica)
    Real Compañía Ópera de Cámara, Juan Bautista Otero

    Name:  Orlando - Juan Bautista Otero 2005.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  59.9 KB

  5. #1954
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scarlatti, A: Carlo re d'Allemagna
    Romina Basso (King Lotario of Germany), Roberta Invernizzi (Queen Giuditta, dowager empress), Marina de Liso (Princess Gildippe, her daughter), Marianne Beate Kielland (Prince Adalgiso, son of Lotario), Carlo Vincenzo Allemano (Berardo, a knight), José Maria Lo Monaco (Asparando, a traitor), Damian Pinti (Amilla) & Roberto Abbondonza (Bleso).
    Stavanger Symphony Orchestra, Fabio Biondi



    Handel - Mezzo Soprano Opera Arias. Max Emanuel Cencic; I Barocchisti, Diego Fasolis



    Handel: Arias. Alice Coote; The English Concert, Harry Bicket

    Natalie

  6. Likes Clayton liked this post
  7. #1955
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Note to Soave_Fanciulla: please add Terradellas' Artaserse to your buy basket (if you have not already heard it), it is covered with full Clayton guarantee. I rate it as AAA stock, very beautiful melodies, belcanto arias and fantastic orchestration. This is all performed with excellent cast (including the wonderful Sunhae Im in her very best performance) and is absolutely sublime.

    I hesitated a little (to make a recommendation) as I had never heard of the composer and the recordings are so few that I wonder why this music is so little heard of. Perhaps academically speaking this is nonsense or old hat (it is the later period of baroque where perhaps more were/are looking for development) but I have heard enough to think it is just beautiful.

    Please try if you have not heard it already and let me know whether or not I am just bonkers.

  8. #1956
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post script

    It went straight to the top of Clayton's top opera charts (currently not sponsored) on entry and has held the number one spot since.

  9. #1957
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  10. #1958
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Note to Soave_Fanciulla: please add Terradellas' Artaserse to your buy basket (if you have not already heard it), it is covered with full Clayton guarantee. I rate it as AAA stock, very beautiful melodies, belcanto arias and fantastic orchestration. This is all performed with excellent cast (including the wonderful Sunhae Im in her very best performance) and is absolutely sublime.

    I hesitated a little (to make a recommendation) as I had never heard of the composer and the recordings are so few that I wonder why this music is so little heard of. Perhaps academically speaking this is nonsense or old hat (it is the later period of baroque where perhaps more were/are looking for development) but I have heard enough to think it is just beautiful.

    Please try if you have not heard it already and let me know whether or not I am just bonkers.
    It went into the basket THE MINUTE you started raving about it. I never let a chance pass to allow you to drive me to pauperdom.
    Natalie

  11. #1959
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Telemann: Flavius Bertaridus, König der Longobarden
    Maite Beaumont (Flavius Bertaridus), Nina Bernsteiner (Rodelinda), Ann-Beth Solvang (Flavia), Jürgen Sacher (Orontes), Antonio Abete (Grimoaldus), Katerina Tretyakova (Cunibert), David DQ Lee (Onulfus), Melissa Petit (Regimbert/Schutzgeist)
    Academia Montis Regalis, Alessandro de Marchi
    Live recording 2012

    Name:  Flavius Bertaridus - Alessandro de Marchi 2012.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  43.8 KB

  12. #1960
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mazzoni: Aminta
    Anna Maria Panzarella (Aminta), Céline Ricci (Tamiri), Leif Aruhn-Solén (Alessandro), Delphine Gillot (Elisa), Marina Pardot (Agenore)
    Real Compañía Ópera de Cámara, Juan Bautista Otero 2006

    Name:  Aminta - Juan Bautista Otero 2006.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  53.4 KB

  13. #1961
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered this one:
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  14. #1962
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like

    No offence : you should have gone for this one.

  15. Likes Florestan liked this post
  16. #1963
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    No offence : you should have gone for this one.
    I was well aware that Sills is excellent in this, but the price of the one I got was only $9 shipped vs $30 shipped for the Sills performance on DVD. Also, while Amazon reviews are not necessarily the final word, there were extensive positive reviews on both, with mine having 4.9 stars on 19 reviews. Sills had 4.5 stars on 32 reviews. I would not choose one over the other based on these review numbers. Rather it shows both productions are very good.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  17. #1964
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I was well aware that Sills is excellent in this, but the price of the one I got was only $9 shipped vs $30 shipped for the Sills performance on DVD. Also, while Amazon reviews are not necessarily the final word, there were extensive positive reviews on both, with mine having 4.9 stars on 19 reviews. Sills had 4.5 stars on 32 reviews. I would not choose one over the other based on these review numbers. Rather it shows both productions are very good.
    I have this one, and while Alexandrina Pendenchanskq (now Alex Penda) is a bit metallic in her high notes, her acting deserves an Academt Award! The tenor (Sabatino?) eclipses John Alexander in the Sills version and the DTS sound is excellent, as well. Having said that, the "Three Queens" CD set with Sills is played all the way through all three operas once a year, and she remains a beloved, talented and gracious performer.

  18. Likes Hoffmann, Florestan liked this post
  19. #1965
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    I have this one, and while Alexandrina Pendenchanskq (now Alex Penda) is a bit metallic in her high notes, her acting deserves an Academt Award! The tenor (Sabatino?) eclipses John Alexander in the Sills version and the DTS sound is excellent, as well. Having said that, the "Three Queens" CD set with Sills is played all the way through all three operas once a year, and she remains a beloved, talented and gracious performer.
    Yep, I have the Sills 3 Queens set on CD. Got it for a song ($17 shipped) only flaw is a odor of cigarette smoke. Otherwise they are going for close to $50 shipped used. It was the 3 queens set that motivated me to get this DVD as I already had the other two on DVD.

    There is a 4th Donizetti queen opera that I have on CD but apparently there are no DVDs: Elisabetta Al Castello Di Kenilworth
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you purchased recently?
    By Clayton in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 310
    Last Post: October 30th, 2017, 08:15 AM
  2. I've been fond of drawing beavers recently
    By Aramis in forum Off-topic discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS