Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #2041
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pre-ordered from Presto Classical:




  2. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  3. #2042
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Pre-ordered from Presto Classical:



    At first I thought it was this:

    xxxxx

  4. Likes Hoffmann, Nekrotzar liked this post
  5. #2043
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Um . . . no.

  6. #2044
    Member Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have just bought this

    Elisabeth Schwarzkopf * Irmgard Seefried * Sena Jurinac * Erich Kunz * George London * a.o.* Chor der Wiener Staatsoper * Wiener Philharmoniker * Herbert von Karajan, Dir.
    http://www.warnerclassics.com/releas...ozze-di-figaro

    I really like Schwarzkopf (I still havent listened to this recording, but I'm sure I'll like it )

  7. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer, Nekrotzar liked this post
  8. #2045
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feeling grumpy because my new Farnace is semi-staged - carefully not mentioned anywhere when I bought it. The singers even have music stands onstage, which totally spoils the magic.. Rip-off. I would not have spent the money on this if I'd known.


    Natalie

  9. #2046
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Feeling grumpy because my new Farnace is semi-staged - carefully not mentioned anywhere when I bought it. The singers even have music stands onstage, which totally spoils the magic.. Rip-off. I would not have spent the money on this if I'd known.
    Music stands??? That doesn't even sound semi-staged. It sounds like plain concert version. Truly semi-staged performances will have people in costumes, some acting, maybe some props, and hopefully some light and projection effects to compensate for the lack of scenery, and definitely no music stands, otherwise why would we call it "staged" even if "semi"?

    A concert version with music stands, even if with some costumes, shouldn't be really called semi-staged, in my opinion, so I understand your anger.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  10. #2047
    Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    443
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DasNino View Post
    I have just bought this

    Elisabeth Schwarzkopf * Irmgard Seefried * Sena Jurinac * Erich Kunz * George London * a.o.* Chor der Wiener Staatsoper * Wiener Philharmoniker * Herbert von Karajan, Dir.
    http://www.warnerclassics.com/releas...ozze-di-figaro

    I really like Schwarzkopf (I still havent listened to this recording, but I'm sure I'll like it )
    Oh yeah, Schwarzkopf is an amaaaaazing singer. You are fairly new to opera aren't you? Have you seen the DVD on Archiv label with Bryn Terfel conducted by John Eliot Gardiner? That is my favourite version to watch.
    If you would seek salvation, remember this:
    a life in Hell can still aspire to BLISS.

  11. Likes DasNino liked this post
  12. #2048
    Member Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekrotzar View Post
    Oh yeah, Schwarzkopf is an amaaaaazing singer. You are fairly new to opera aren't you? Have you seen the DVD on Archiv label with Bryn Terfel conducted by John Eliot Gardiner? That is my favourite version to watch.
    yes I am new to all of this, and no I haven't seen it. I'll look it up!!! But first I'm planind to watch Rosenkavalier with schwarzkopf, I think it's her only complete opera performance recorded on video.

  13. #2049
    Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    443
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DasNino View Post
    yes I am new to all of this, and no I haven't seen it. I'll look it up!!! But first I'm planind to watch Rosenkavalier with schwarzkopf, I think it's her only complete opera performance recorded on video.
    It is on YouTube in its entirety with English subtitles if you're interested.

    And in terms of the Strauss, the '57 recording she was in (conducted by Karajan) was actually what got me interested in the operas of Strauss!
    If you would seek salvation, remember this:
    a life in Hell can still aspire to BLISS.

  14. Thanks DasNino thanked for this post
  15. #2050
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Feeling grumpy because my new Farnace is semi-staged - carefully not mentioned anywhere when I bought it. The singers even have music stands onstage, which totally spoils the magic.. Rip-off. I would not have spent the money on this if I'd known.


    Does the vendor from whom you purchased this recording allow for customer reviews? If so, you may want to post one and warn other potential buyers about this label's deceptive marketing practices.

  16. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  17. #2051
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rip-off. I would not have spent the money on this if I'd known.
    Nat, can't you return it for a refund?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  18. #2052
    Member Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekrotzar View Post
    It is on YouTube in its entirety with English subtitles if you're interested.

    And in terms of the Strauss, the '57 recording she was in (conducted by Karajan) was actually what got me interested in the operas of Strauss!
    well then it'll be my next opera fix... I have just finished der Rosenkavalier and I am blown away, it was great (end could have been a bit shorter but who am I to correct Herr Strauss)

  19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  20. #2053
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DasNino View Post
    well then it'll be my next opera fix... I have just finished der Rosenkavalier and I am blown away, it was great (end could have been a bit shorter but who am I to correct Herr Strauss)

    This reminds me of a story an opera-loving colleague told me many years ago (probably apocryphal).

    Apparently, Richard Strauss was conducting Der Rosenkavalier one evening when, during a lull in the music, he turned to his concertmaster and asked "Just how long is this, anyway?" The concertmaster, didn't quite know what to say, replied "But Maestro, you wrote it."

    Richard Strauss looked at him and said "Yes, but I never thought I'd have to conduct it!"

  21. #2054
    Member Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    This reminds me of a story an opera-loving colleague told me many years ago (probably apocryphal).

    Apparently, Richard Strauss was conducting Der Rosenkavalier one evening when, during a lull in the music, he turned to his concertmaster and asked "Just how long is this, anyway?" The concertmaster, didn't quite know what to say, replied "But Maestro, you wrote it."

    Richard Strauss looked at him and said "Yes, but I never thought I'd have to conduct it!"
    he should have conducted more often, maybe then his opera would have been shorter... I'm kidding, it's not a good thing when opera is too shot... and what am i complaining, there is that Wagner masterpiece that lasts for 16 hours
    Last edited by DasNino; August 9th, 2015 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling

  22. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Hoffmann liked this post
  23. #2055
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Nat, can't you return it for a refund?
    By the time I've paid the postage it's not worth it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DasNino View Post
    well then it'll be my next opera fix... I have just finished der Rosenkavalier and I am blown away, it was great (end could have been a bit shorter but who am I to correct Herr Strauss)
    That's my beef with Rosenkavalier. Condense it down into about 90 minutes and then I'd probably like it.
    Natalie

  24. Likes DasNino liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you purchased recently?
    By Clayton in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 311
    Last Post: Today, 01:56 AM
  2. I've been fond of drawing beavers recently
    By Aramis in forum Off-topic discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS