Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Batch 3:

Name:  IMG_0470.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  50.6 KB

From upper left:

1. Les Fetes D'Herbe Rameau; William Christie w/Sarah Connolly, Jean-Paul Fouchecourt (Erato)
    2. Hippolyte et Aricie Rameau; Wm Christie w/Mark Padmore, Lorraine Hunt, et al. (Erato)
    3. Die See Jungfrau/Psalm XIII Alexander Zemlinsky (London)
    4. Artaxerxes Thomas Arne Ian Partridge, et al. (Hyperion)
    5. Il Piccolo Marat Pietro Macagni (Bon Giovanni)
    6. Das Nachtlager in Granada Conradin Kreutzer (1780-1849) w/Hermann Prey, et al (Capriccio)

Notes: (1) Die See Jungfrau/Psalm XIII apparently are orchestral, as no singers are listed.
    (2) Thomas Arne (1710 - 1778)
    Last edited by Hoffmann; November 4th, 2015 at 09:22 PM.

2. Likes MAuer, Amfortas liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Les Fetes D'Herbe Rameau; William Christie w/Sarah Connolly, Jean-Paul Fouchecourt (Erato)

this is flavour of the month for me.

and the Gluck and the Thomas Arne sounds interesting; I look forward to hearing your comments.

Only a couple of hours ago I was discussing with the wife whether we should go to an antiques/collectibles market this weekend. I wish we could find a dealer of opera recordings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Better known operas in the same box:

1. L'Inganno Felice Rossini
    2. Opera Rara Collection of Operatic Rarities
    3. Saffo Giovanni Pacini w/Leyla Gencer (it turns out I already have this and it's a terrible recording..)
    4. Don Quichotte Massenet w/Teresa Berganza, Jose van Dam; Michel Plasso, Cond.
    5. I Vespri Siciliani Verdi w/Martina Arroyo, Placido Domingo, Sherrill Milnes, Ruggero Raimondi; James Levine, Cond
    6. Cleofide Johann Adolf Hasse w/Emma Kirkby; William Christie, Cond.
    7. Zar und Zimmermann Albert Lortzing w/Hermann Prey, Lucia Popp, Karl Ridderbusch, Werner Krenn; Heinz Wallberg, Cond
    8. Il Re Pastore Mozart w/Eva Mei, Ann Murray, et al.; Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Cond
    9. Torvaldo E Dorliska Rossini w/Ernesto Palacio, et al.; Massimo De Bernart, Cond
    10. I Capuleti e i Montecchi Bellini w/Giacomo Aragall (Romeo!), Margherita Rinaldi, Luciano Pavarotti; Claudio Abbado, Cond
    11. Les Troyens Berlioz w/Helga Dernesch, Guy Chauvet, Christa Ludwig, Horst Laubenthal, et al.; Gerd Albrecht, Cond
    12. Aureliano in Palmira Rossini (Unknown cast and conductor)
    13. La Vestale Spontini w/Rosalind Plowright, Francisco Araiza
    14. Il Matrimonio Segreto Cimarosa Jesus Lopez Cobos, Cond
    15. Stratas Sings Weill
    16. Hamlet Ambroise Thomas w/Thomas Hampson, June Anderson, Samuel Ramey, Denyce Graves; Antonio De Almeida, Cond
    17. Orchestral Suites Massenet (New Zealand Symphony Orchestra; Jean-Yves Ossonce, Cond)
    18. Partenope Handel Sigiswald Kuijken, Cond
    19. Fierrabras Schubert w/Fritz Wunderlich, et al.; Hans Müller-Kray, Cond (1959/Myto)
    20. Nixon in China John Adams w/Edo de Waart, Cond (1987)
    21. Rodelinda Handel w/Joan Sutherland, Janet Baker; Charles Farncombe, Cond (Opera D'Oro; Live, 1959)
    22. Il Barbiere Di Siviglia Rossini w/Robert Merrill, Roberta Peters, Giorgio Tozzi, Fernando Corena; Erich Leinsdorf, Cond
    23. Bianca E Falliero Rossini w/Katia Ricciarelli, Marilyn Horne, Chris Merritt; Donato Renzetti, Cond
    24. Genoveva Robert Schumann w/Rodney Gilfry, Ruth Ziesak, Thomas Quasthoff; Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Cond

5. Likes MAuer, Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post

this is flavour of the month for me.

and the Gluck and the Thomas Arne sounds interesting; I look forward to hearing your comments.

Only a couple of hours ago I was discussing with the wife whether we should go to an antiques/collectibles market this weekend. I wish we could find a dealer of opera recordings.

I have been going to this auction house for many years and always look at the CDs, which typically are everyday pop and light jazz selections. This is the most encyclopedic opera collection I've seen in almost 20 years. The LPs on display almost made me weep - there had to be 200 or more LP sets - I don't have a turntable any longer and, other than dropping a fortune for a new one, don't know where to buy a modest unit.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the second list are ones you manged to get in addition to the more rare/new ones or are they the popular ones the store got?

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    La Muette de Portici sparked a revolution in Belgium in 1830. Also the title character doesn't sing a note.
    Natalie

9. Likes Amfortas, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    So the second list are ones you manged to get in addition to the more rare/new ones or are they the popular ones the store got?
    Yes, exactly. You should have seen the ones that got away!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

12. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Handel: Partenope. Philippe Jaroussky (Arsace), Karina Gauvin (Partenope), John Mark Ainsley (Emilio), Teresa Iervolino (Rosmira), Emöke Barath (Armindo), Luca Tittoto (Ormonte). Il Pomo d'Oro, Riccardo Minasi

Rameau: Castor & Pollux. Colin Ainsworth (Castor), Florian Sempey (Pollux), Emmanuelle de Negri (Télaire), Clémentine Margaine (Phoebe), Christian Immler (Jupiter), Sabine Devieilhe (Cléone), Philippe Talbot (Mercury), Virgile Ancely (High Priest)
    Ensemble Pygmalion, Raphaël Pichon

Matthew Rose: Arias for Benucci. Arcangelo, Jonathan Cohen

Ann Hallenberg: Arias for Luigi Marchesi Stile Galante, Stefano Aresi

Natalie

14. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I have been going to this auction house for many years and always look at the CDs, which typically are everyday pop and light jazz selections. This is the most encyclopedic opera collection I've seen in almost 20 years. The LPs on display almost made me weep - there had to be 200 or more LP sets - I don't have a turntable any longer and, other than dropping a fortune for a new one, don't know where to buy a modest unit.
    Check your friendly neighborhood Target for Crosley turntables. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...table&tbm=shop They don't cost a mint, and they work reasonably well.

16. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, exactly. You should have seen the ones that got away!
    If the ones you got include a Barber which looks quite decent and a Vespers which almost certainly will be amazing I am fascinated to see what got away. I'd have thought the Vespers and the Barber would have been snagged up quite quickly!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've already started to run into inconvenient, if minor, problems with this purchase. Considering I paid only a little over $1 per CD/Set, it's nothing to complain about. But buying used frequently is an adventure. I'm in the process of downloading all these CDs into my iTunes library for easier listening and management. Here is what I've run into so far:

The Sicilian Vespers is a 3 CD set. When downloading the 3rd CD, iTunes gave me a prompt that it wanted to overwrite a previously downloaded CD. After doing some re-loads - and, I haven't played anything yet, so can't say if something is miss-labeled, it looks like this box set has one disc 2 and 2 copies of disc 3 - and no disc 1.

Nixon in China? I opened the box to find folded news articles about the premiere of the opera and pages from the Kennedy Center program from 1988 - very nice, I thought. Oh, and the 2 cassette tapes that comprise this recording.

19. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...Oh, and the 2 cassette tapes that comprise this recording.
    Don't be too upset; it is a little funny (well those reading this post laughed). Just consider it as you paid a dollar to make us all laugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nixon in China? I opened the box to find folded news articles about the premiere of the opera and pages from the Kennedy Center program from 1988 - very nice, I thought. Oh, and the 2 cassette tapes that comprise this recording.
    I confess that I must second Clayton on this one. I was in the quiet section of the library as well so was trying to suppress giggles like mad. The vespers is annoying and not as funny though as that sounds like it should be a stellar recording. Still for a dollar its not bad even if it is only 2 discs of 3. It costs £2 ($3.05) for my trips to Campus on the bus everyday and there will be several Good operas that will be listenable to in full at good quality I imagine the Rossini and Troyens alone would probably be worth it if it downloads successfully and in full.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the last cassette player left on earth. You're welcome to come over and listen to Nixon in China.

Actually a concert version is on live here next year so you'd better come for that.
    Natalie

23. Likes Povero Buoso liked this post