Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Good choice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    ^^^ Good choice!
    Thanks. I am slowly going deeper into Wagner. I had the Meistersinger and the Hollander and some folks at another site were encouraging me to go further and recommended this one. By an interesting turn of events, I found the D'Oro set at Dearborn Music yesterday and pointed it out along with other CD sets then my wife later purchased one for my Christmas gift, and it turned out to be Lohengrin. We open our gifts the day before Christmas so I am listening right now and all I can say is...

AWESOME! AWESOME! Totally AWESOME!

I have never heard opera like this. The voices taking the prominent role with the music relegated more or less to the background. Continuous speech (it seems) instead of arias with repetition. High drama. Absolutely fantastic! So being I am a Meier fan, I quickly located the Meier Lohengrin on DVD and ordered it.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    a stunning performance by Meier in this, truly great.

5. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Florestan, Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This, just now. Could not resist (also posted complete You Tube of it in You Tube Opera thread). Was led to this by the presence of Lucile Vignon (Anna Bolena), whose mezzo voice is so wonderful as a goatherd in my Dinorah DVD:

7. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tunes card would be my guess. Maybe not explicitly operatic but i will probably go on a mini splurge and get 3 or 4 of my near favourites that have not yet secured a place on my Ipod. I'm thinking Don Carlos,Simon Boccanegra,Tosca and if I have the any left over Turandot which will put my iPod collection (the ones I literally couldn't do without having to hand everyday) at 14 or 15 once Christmas is over (counting Trittico as one opera rather than 3 mini ones and including Die Fledermaus in the count).

The above was from a post called Opera for Christmas. As it turns out I got significantly more than the £50 Itunes card I presumed and stumbled upon an extra 40 of iTunes cards from last year. Hence not so much a mini splurge as a proper splurge with over £115 to play with... So far purchases include:

Name:  51G3aW4vnWL.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  55.4 KBName:  51Tu6z3iYIL.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  45.9 KBName:  51ZVBznMsdL.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  41.7 KBName:  91ntiRQ8gDL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  95.0 KBName:  510nO0m5WsL.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  48.7 KBName:  6121bHEfjQL._SS280.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  34.2 KB

I'm already in love with the Tosca and am sure I'll love the rest as well. It has been a great Christmas!* *Especially with £50 more still to play with!
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's my favorite Don Carlos and Un Ballo in Maschera! I also like the Turandot, but believe the Sutherland/Pavarotti might be the one to have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    That's my favorite Don Carlos and Un Ballo in Maschera! I also like the Turandot, but believe the Sutherland/Pavarotti might be the one to have.
    Turandot is not at the tip-pity top of my Puccini list. It is good enough to get on my Ipod but it was number 4 on the must purchase. As long as the version is not terrible I should be happy! The extra money however, means extra versions of some of my favourites like Un Ballo in Maschera and Il Trittico (I don't need a new Rigoletto as you can't improve on perfection!). I need to hunt down another 3 or 4 operas to round off the purchases, though I am debating over whether to get a Butterfly, I definitely need a good Cav/Pag selection (sadly the favourite versions forum hasn't gotten up to Pag yet )

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't go wrong on Tosca with Callas.

12. Likes Povero Buoso liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    ...As it turns out I got significantly more than the £50 Itunes card I presumed and stumbled upon an extra 40 of iTunes cards from last year. Hence not so much a mini splurge as a proper splurge with over £115 to play with...

Excellent and great choices.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    if I remember correctly, you still have another part of your christmas present to come... in 4 days time?

- - - Updated - - -

and I love all those recordings too

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    if I remember correctly, you still have another part of your christmas present to come... in 4 days time?

- - - Updated - - -

and I love all those recordings too
    Yes! The tickets for Onegin are here! *

*On a side-note, Why is Il Trittico still so under-performed? I will never understand this...

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I ordered the DGG Roberto Devereaux with Gruberova. A very attractive price on amazon US made my decision for me. I realize that the staging is not what Donizetti had in mind, but some recent experiences in watching opera made me curious.

I may learn the truth of the old adage about curious cats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Butterfly is not my favourite Puccini by any means it reaches 9th place out of the 11 operas Puccini did for me(Edgar doesn't count. It is not an opera according to Puccini himself!). However, I like Butterfly well enough to get a recording and thought this one should be good giving the principals and the recommendation from the top 100 section.

Name:  51MpOgXjzqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  21.9 KB

I still need a good Cav/Pag (Any recommendations greatly appreciated) and I found out today I have another £25 of iTunes vouchers. After the Cav/Pag and maybe an Iolanta I'm gonna have to start racking my brains. I probably need to watch some new Verdi/Tchaikovsky/Others or re-listen to Aida and other works I've heard to see what to spend the remainder on.*

*I have re-listened to the first 2 acts of Lescaut. Lescaut,while not bad, is my least favourite of Puccini's works barring his early novice pieces and hence probably not good enough for me to warrant getting a recording until I've done further investigation.The Puccini operas from Lescaut on wards however, are of a great standard in my opinion. This might explain why I now have copies of all of them including 2 full Il Tritticos!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    Butterfly is not my favourite Puccini by any means it reaches 9th place out of the 11 operas Puccini did for me(Edgar doesn't count. It is not an opera according to Puccini himself!). However, I like Butterfly well enough to get a recording and thought this one should be good giving the principals and the recommendation from the top 100 section.

Name:  51MpOgXjzqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  21.9 KB

I still need a good Cav/Pag (Any recommendations greatly appreciated) and I found out today I have another £25 of iTunes vouchers. After the Cav/Pag and maybe an Iolanta I'm gonna have to start racking my brains. I probably need to watch some new Verdi/Tchaikovsky/Others or re-listen to Aida and other works I've heard to see what to spend the remainder on.*

*I have re-listened to the first 2 acts of Lescaut. Lescaut,while not bad, is my least favourite of Puccini's works barring his early novice pieces and hence probably not good enough for me to warrant getting a recording until I've done further investigation.The Puccini operas from Lescaut on wards however, are of a great standard in my opinion. This might explain why I now have copies of all of them including 2 full Il Tritticos!
    Have you got Verdi's Otello yet? It's a must.
    Natalie

19. Likes Povero Buoso liked this post