Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #2446
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  2. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  3. #2447
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Time to take a break from the bel canto and listen to some verismo.



    The attraction to this set for me was the presence of Agnes Baltsa and Sherrill Milnes as the romantic rival and the villain, respectively, but one certainly can’t complain about Caballé and the Pav in the two leads.

  4. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  5. #2448
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Time to take a break from the bel canto and listen to some verismo.



    The attraction to this set for me was the presence of Agnes Baltsa and Sherrill Milnes as the romantic rival and the villain, respectively, but one certainly can’t complain about Caballé and the Pav in the two leads.

    La Gioconda has been difficult for me to warm up to - hasn't yet clicked. I don't know if it's the heavy duty melodrama or the one performance I've seen where the packed audience all seemed to be present only for the "Dance of the Hours" ballet sequence. They went nuts. Of course, it might be that the overall singing was only pretty good - Hui He was good, but not great in the performance as Gioconda.

  6. #2449
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    La Gioconda has been difficult for me to warm up to - hasn't yet clicked. I don't know if it's the heavy duty melodrama or the one performance I've seen where the packed audience all seemed to be present only for the "Dance of the Hours" ballet sequence. They went nuts. Of course, it might be that the overall singing was only pretty good - Hui He was good, but not great in the performance as Gioconda.
    There's lot's of places to go nuts in this opera,

    try this one, it could be a clicky recording. It was for me.

    Name:  La Gioconda - Gianandrea Gavazzeni 1957, Anita Cerquetti, Mario del Monaco, Ettore Bastianini, G.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  51.4 KB

    Ponchielli: La Gioconda
    Anita Cerquetti (La Gioconda), Mario Del Monaco (Enzo), Giulietta Simionato (Laura), Ettore Bastianini (Barnaba), Cesare Siepi (Alvise), Franca Sacchi (La Cieca), Giorgio Giorgetti (Zuàne), Athos Cesarini (Isèpo)
    Orchestra e Coro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino, Gianandrea Gavazzeni
    Recorded in 1957

  7. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  8. #2450
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  9. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann liked this post
  10. #2451
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered the new Giovanna D'Arco from an Amazon seller. The trailer (only on the Dynamic website) sold me. I have enjoyed the score since the first CD set. Pratt is always pulchritudinously and vocally very good, and tenor Borras and baritone Kim sound excellent Having Riccardo Frizza in the pit is another big plus.

  11. Likes MAuer liked this post
  12. #2452
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    . . . pulchritudinously . . .
    Another triple word score!

  13. Likes Clayton, Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post
  14. #2453
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  L'Angelica, Concerto Campestre, Pedro Castro 2014.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  74.7 KB

    Carvalho, J: L’Angelica
    Serenata per musica da cantarsi. Libretto by Pietro Metastasio
    Joana Seara, Sandra Medeiros (sopranos), Lidia Vinyes Curtis, Maria Luísa Tavares (mezzo-sopranos), Fernando Guimarães (tenor)
    Concerto Campestre, Pedro Castro

  15. #2454
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  Orfeo ed Euridice, Accademia di Santo Spirito di Ferrara, Roberto Zarpellon 2016.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  61.8 KB

    Bertoni: Orfeo
    Vivica Genaux (Orfeo), Jan Petryka (Hymen), Francesca Lombardi Mazzulli (Euridice)
    Ensemble Lorenzo Da Ponte, Coro Accademia di Santo Spirito, Ferrara, Roberto Zarpellon
    2016

  16. Likes Festat liked this post
  17. #2455
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Name:  L'Angelica, Concerto Campestre, Pedro Castro 2014.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  74.7 KB

    Carvalho, J: L’Angelica
    Serenata per musica da cantarsi. Libretto by Pietro Metastasio
    Joana Seara, Sandra Medeiros (sopranos), Lidia Vinyes Curtis, Maria Luísa Tavares (mezzo-sopranos), Fernando Guimarães (tenor)
    Concerto Campestre, Pedro Castro
    That's going to be on its way to me soon. What did you think?
    Natalie

  18. #2456
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  19. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  20. #2457
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    That's going to be on its way to me soon. What did you think?
    I haven't listened to it yet but will report shortly...

  21. #2458
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post

    I saw NY City Opera perform this at the Kennedy Center back in the late 1970s (without Sills and Norman Treigle), and even sat in the President's Box (sans President). Unfortunately, Carla and I had gone to dinner earlier that evening and had cocktails and a bottle of wine with dinner, so I don't remember much past the prologue.

    Carla was secretary to the vice president's chief of staff, so had access to unspoken for tickets to the President's Box. I don't think the box still is controlled by the White House, as most presidents are clueless about serious music (President Carter was the exception). This box is used by the president and honorees during the Kennedy Center Honors.

  22. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
  23. #2459
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    ... most presidents are clueless about serious music (President Carter was the exception). This box is used by the president and honorees during the Kennedy Center Honors.
    The Beverly Sills book, Bubbles, has a picture of her with Ronald and Nancy Reagan, and I think President Ford was with her in another photo. Publicity shots or these presidents into good music.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  24. #2460
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    The Beverly Sills book, Bubbles, has a picture of her with Ronald and Nancy Reagan, and I think President Ford was with her in another photo. Publicity shots or these presidents into good music.
    Publicity! President Reagan loved to watch old movies - there are worse hobbies. Carter liked to go to the Kennedy Center whenever he could.

    I don't recall the concert, but was in the Kennedy Center Concert Hall when President Carter showed up right after his loss to Reagan in 1980. The audience booed him, rather disgracefully. I was no fan of Carter, but after his loss, I thought he should have been treated with respectful silence.

  25. Likes Amfortas, Clayton liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you purchased recently?
    By Clayton in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 311
    Last Post: Today, 01:56 AM
  2. I've been fond of drawing beavers recently
    By Aramis in forum Off-topic discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS