Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered this for Anna Bonitatibus, but every singer on this is wonderful. Clips HERE.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

2. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is totally awesome. I was not really getting into Boris though I had seen it live in the 1980s. A couple weeks ago I saw this set at my local music shop, used for $20 and actually looked it over, but didn't know if it was any good or even what it might cost used online. Then I pulled out my highlights set and listened and Boris started to grow on me. I listened to clips for this set and called my music shop this morning, but it had sold. Sadly I started looking at other Boris recordings (Semkow looks pretty good and maybe a future addition). This set was going for minimum $65 used on Amazon and Ebay. Then I pulled up Half and was amazed to see a used copy of this set in very good condition for $18, so $21 shipped. Of course I jumped on it and hit the purchase button immediately. In this case lightening strikes in the same place with beneficial effects the second time as I don't have to spend the time and fuel driving over to the music shop which is inconveniently located for me.

1869 is 2 CDs and 1872 is 3 CDs. Clips.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    This is totally awesome. I was not really getting into Boris though I had seen it live in the 1980s. A couple weeks ago I saw this set at my local music shop, used for $20 and actually looked it over, but didn't know if it was any good or even what it might cost used online. Then I pulled out my highlights set and listened and Boris started to grow on me. I listened to clips for this set and called my music shop this morning, but it had sold. Sadly I started looking at other Boris recordings (Semkow looks pretty good and maybe a future addition). This set was going for minimum $65 used on Amazon and Ebay. Then I pulled up Half and was amazed to see a used copy of this set in very good condition for $18, so $21 shipped. Of course I jumped on it and hit the purchase button immediately. In this case lightening strikes in the same place with beneficial effects the second time as I don't have to spend the time and fuel driving over to the music shop which is inconveniently located for me.

1869 is 2 CDs and 1872 is 3 CDs. Clips.
    I'm so pleased to hear you persevered with Boris and that it has started to grow on you.

It's one of my favourite operas and I have several recordings. My favourite CD is the Semkow

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

5. Thanks Florestan thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is totally awesome . . .
    Quite a find! I haven't heard this set, but it got high marks in both the Penguin and Gramophone guides, in part because of the opportunity to hear the two very different versions of the opera side by side.

7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went crazy at the secondhand store again. It will take three threads to total up the damage.

9. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Quite a find! I haven't heard this set, but it got high marks in both the Penguin and Gramophone guides, in part because of the opportunity to hear the two very different versions of the opera side by side.
    I have seen it highly rated in several places and the clips sound great too. If I really get the Boris bug I will have to get the Semkow set too, but for now I await the arrival of this wonderful set. I have to stop playing the highlights set though lest I burn out on it before properly hearing the whole thing. Boris was recommended to me by my uncle who hated "screechy female voices" and said that Boris is a great opera because it does not have a lot of that.

11. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "screechy female voices"
    Not that there is anything wrong with that...

13. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boris was recommended to me by my uncle who hated "screechy female voices" and said that Boris is a great opera because it does not have a lot of that.

Your uncle is a man after my own heart! The relatively few "screechy female voices" in Boris is one of the reasons I love it so much.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

15. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Not that there is anything wrong with that...
    One of my sister's cockatiels would have agreed. He loved the Met radio broadcasts with dramatic sopranos in full cry!

17. Likes Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always felt the soprano voice is the one that translates most poorly to sound recording. The live sound of a soprano high C is vastly different from a recorded soprano high C, and much less annoying. Being a sound recordist, this has always puzzled me. I never really delved further into explaining why, but I believe it has to do with distance. To record a good, clear, fullbodied singing voice you have to place your microphones much closer to the singer than the closest seat of an opera house will ever be. The voice doesn't have the room to develop as much. High voices tend to have a wider harmonic spacing and the higher harmonics don't have the time to "mellow". So to speak, it hits the mic prematurely.

Do you guys feel the same? Are you less annoyed by sopranos live?

19. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    I've always felt the soprano voice is the one that translates most poorly to sound recording. The live sound of a soprano high C is vastly different from a recorded soprano high C, and much less annoying. Being a sound recordist, this has always puzzled me. I never really delved further into explaining why, but I believe it has to do with distance. To record a good, clear, fullbodied singing voice you have to place your microphones much closer to the singer than the closest seat of an opera house will ever be. The voice doesn't have the room to develop as much. High voices tend to have a wider harmonic spacing and the higher harmonics don't have the time to "mellow". So to speak, it hits the mic prematurely.

Do you guys feel the same? Are you less annoyed by sopranos live?
    You may have a point. I am definitely less annoyed by sopranos live. The recorded ones I like best are baroque type bell voices (Emma Kirkby), light lyric (Kathleen Battle) and creamy and luscious (Anna Netrebko). But big dramatic wobbly ones like Gwyneth Jones and dramatic screechy ones like Hildegard Behrens help me god I want to run a mile. That's why I like Nina Stemme in Wagner roles - a smaller voice but much more beautiful.
    Natalie

21. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished the You Tube of the Rimsky version, and started the one above last night, which is the 1872 Mussorgsky version, but seeing there is a highly recommended DVD that also is the Mussorgsky 1869 version, I had to splurge and purchase a copy (not fond of the cover image though):

24. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got a little carried away this morning. As I was pushing the buttons (I used several different sources), I wished for a local source like Amfortas' second hand shop.

Name:  SiegeofCalais.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  Thais.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:  LeJongleurdeNotreDame.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  31.2 KB

Name:  Rosmondad'Inghilterra.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  Herodiade.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  23.6 KB

I decided on Herodiade so that I can get a better sense of the opera prior to the Washington Concert Opera performance on 20 November. The Sills Thais was $10 cheaper than the Fleming recording - and, of course, it's Sills. I couldn't find a review of the Alagna Jongleur de Notre Dame, but decided to give it a shot anyway. The Opera Rara Rosamonda d'Inghilterra is used, but quite cheap and features Renee Fleming. The L'Assedio di Calais (Donizetti) is on the schedule for Glimmerglass next summer, so thought to familiarize myself before springing for a ticket (and a pricey hotel room).
    Last edited by Hoffmann; November 9th, 2016 at 02:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

27. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post